The V2

Is tyre rotation still a thing?

Hi all - I'm Planning on fitting new discs and pads this weekend (delivery of parts permitting!), whilst I'm at it I was going to give the alloys/wheel arches a good clean and rotate the tyres - is this still a thing people actually do in this day and age?

A quick google search suggests various rotation patterns depending on whether a vehicle is front/rear/All-wheel drive - I am assuming that any cross-over pattern would be irrelevant if the tyres are directional? (PS4's all round - they have "OUTSIDE" stamped on the sidewall) - therefore just leaving a simple front-to-back rotation as my only option?

Any other niggly jobs anybody would suggest whilst I have all the wheels off and the weather on my side??

Cheers

I rotate mine every 6 months or so. Although its 4wd it obviously spends most of its time in Fwd and with steering etc this leads to faster front wear, much the same as a fwd car. I've now had PS4Ss on for about 15k and they are all evenly worn and have about 4mm left on them !!
Well worth rotating I'd say, as I am not a fan of replacing pairs, rather the whole set.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

As above, but I guess it depends if you plan to stick to the PS4's, in which case it doesn't really make that much difference. I know the 'experts' say you should put the newest tyres on the rear, but a lot of that was back before ESP was common place. My view is that new tyres should always go on the front of FWD cars (incl haldex) as that's where you need the grip for both braking and accelerating, especially in the wet.

I think the thinking is that less grip on the rear is more likely to accidentaly induce oversteer which for an experienced driver isnt too much of an issue, it can easliy lead to a spin which is obviously bad.
Conversley its more difficult to induce understeer unless you are driving too fast.
I however always try to put new on the front, but as said I prefer to always run a full set when replacing.

Im hoping i can get my answer here since it’s about tyers..

i recently installed eibach pro kit springs, and had the wheel alignment done, and ever since then i feel like i need to hold the steering wheel slightly to the right, not alot but enough to get on my nerves because its not center.

The tech who did the wheel alignment said he  could only fix my camber on the rear as the front doesn't have the bolts is that true?, i still have the tyers from factory, done about 17000kms on them.

what do you guys think? Get it aligned again? 

3 hours ago, golf7.5r said:

As above, but I guess it depends if you plan to stick to the PS4's, in which case it doesn't really make that much difference. I know the 'experts' say you should put the newest tyres on the rear, but a lot of that was back before ESP was common place. My view is that new tyres should always go on the front of FWD cars (incl haldex) as that's where you need the grip for both braking and accelerating, especially in the wet.

Gather round for a story time: I had Potenza's all round and decided to swap 2 for PS4's (couldn't afford to do all 4 at that time) so I put them on the front as I thought its a FWD car and would be best suited there for grip, a week into them I had an enthusiastic S3 up my arse so I was giving it loads and went around a tight bend and had major oversteer - Shit myself but luckily kept the car in check lol.

Next day rotated the tired to the back and never had an issue with oversteer or understeer.

i recently installed eibach pro kit springs, and had the wheel alignment done, and ever since then i feel like i need to hold the steering wheel slightly to the right, not alot but enough to get on my nerves because its not center.

The tech who did the wheel alignment said he  could only fix my camber on the rear as the front doesn't have the bolts is that true?, i still have the tyers from factory, done about 17000kms on them.

Get it realigned. Its a tracking issue and shouldnt be like that.

I always get my tyres rotated during servicing on any 4WD car, although with directional tyres this has reverted to front and back.

I also replace all four at the same time to balance the handling. A more expensive hit, but less frequent.

Sounds like the toe is off in the front. This is adjustable.

As my last 3 cars have been rwd and had staggered wheels this rotation thing is something quite new

New MPS4S going on in the next couple of weeks and rotation is a no brainer if all the wheels are the same width, any car will normally wear front or rear quicker depending on fwd or rwd, never had a proper 4WD car but would imagine even there is a slight difference? Anyway always better to replace all 4 at the same time as regardless of putting them on front or rear axle it's going to cause issues having different levels of grip from front and rear, especially in a powerful car.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi all - I'm Planning on fitting new discs and pads this weekend (delivery of parts permitting!), whilst I'm at it I was going to give the alloys/wheel arches a good clean and rotate the tyres - is this still a thing people actually do in this day and age?

A quick google search suggests various rotation patterns depending on whether a vehicle is front/rear/All-wheel drive - I am assuming that any cross-over pattern would be irrelevant if the tyres are directional? (PS4's all round - they have "OUTSIDE" stamped on the sidewall) - therefore just leaving a simple front-to-back rotation as my only option?

Any other niggly jobs anybody would suggest whilst I have all the wheels off and the weather on my side??

Cheers

If the PS4s are not directional, then you can rotate diagonally instead of just front to rear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All done - new pads, new discs and wheels rotated (front to back)! Holy-sh*t those rear caliper carrier bolts are a massive PITA!!

Assuming 200nm like the fronts?

Did my front discs and pads last weekend and the carrier bolts weren’t that bad (did use a big torque wrench though not a normal ratchet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk