hi, I just wanted to ask others experience and advice on the standard front brakes on the golf r.

mine is a 2018 7.5.

does anyone else think that the standard setup is not adequate enough for this car.

I only have 3000 miles on my car now, but I have noticed if I am braking hard, the brake feel is very rough, and it vibrates up though the whole car and the steering column. It’s not bad but definitely noticeable.    I have been reading others have upgraded the brakes for beefier ones. Which probably should have been fitted to a car with this performance from new.

i was considering changing the brakes with standard new ones, just thinking mine mybe had a issue, but is probably a wast of money, as this is the way they perform from new.

so if anyone else can let me know there experience, and if they feel the same sort of harshness with brakes, and if they done anything with them.

cheers.

Sounds like you have issues with your current setup

ive had 4 golf R & for every day & spirited road driving, the standard brakes are excellent, 

i have the performance pack brakes in my new R, they may offer a bit of an improvement, but I don’t drive the car hard enough to find the amount of extra improvement that they offer vs stock items, they look better though 

If your brakes are as bad as you describe, I would think there is something wrong with them. They certainly shouldn't be causing vibration through the car and steering column however hard you brake. I've always found the standard set-up to be perfectly adequate.

Thanks,  

I was thinking the discs could be warped.  Could I try cross drilled discs as a alternative. Keep them cooler.

Or do you suggest I change them for standard genuine ones.

Also, I am mybe not describing it the best. It isn’t really that bad, but I can definitely notice it isn’t smooth.  I’m quit sensitive to any roughness like this.

I have a 206 diesel, and the brakes are very smooth on it. It’s not a great comparison I know Lol.

anyway I appreciate the advice. 

sorry to jack this thread a little. Do the brakes feel different with the esp off? I swear they seem better when it's on.... 

Well, I haven’t tried that,   Don’t really want to turn off that bit of kit!    you feel that they are smoother when its on. Not so much when turned off?

whats your experience with yours.

Have you had the car from new? Did you bed the brakes in properly before hard braking? I’ve recently swapped my front discs and pads as both were fairly low, although never had issues with the stock brakes.

If you are replacing with genuine VW discs and pads it’s around £380 (parts only) / £600 - 700 supply and fitted (easy DIY to fit yourself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set of genuine VW discs & pads I removed off my new 2019 R at 16 miles, as I fitted the performance pack parts

im sure if you’re local I could do you a deal on them & include fitting them too

I got the car 3 months old, with 1000 miles. It has been the same since then, perhaps the first owner didn’t bed them in correctly.

Its a chunk of change for new genuine parts £££!  

Is best advice to replace with genuine, don’t go to eurocarparts or like. 

i can  fit them no problem, just spent a day taking them all apart to check and clean them.

Nothing obviously wrong looking with them.

Would definitely be interested in your new brakes, but I think as I am in Ireland, it might be a bit too far. Lol.

thanks anyway 

10 minutes ago, R7 sjs said:

I got the car 3 months old, with 1000 miles. It has been the same since then, perhaps the first owner didn’t bed them in correctly.

A nearly new car with low miles might mean the first owner was the VW dealer you bought the car from or it was a car on VW’s own fleet. If so, then it may have had a number of ‘enthusiastic’ drivers using it, and there’s a good chance the brakes weren't bedded in properly. 

Nothing wrong with the stock set up in my experience. It’s essentially the same as the S3 and not known for poor performance. I’d suspect an issue with your brakes, as others have said. 

You could go down the route of Clubsport S discs & pads. I’ve recently done this & think my brakes are more progressive at low speeds, with less grabbing. 

9127D602-824A-49C5-A4C2-549685311C1A.jpeg

Is there any possibility you are using the brakes hard enough to trigger ABS ?  This does vibrate quite a lot, but should only happen when you are braking very hard (so that at least 1 tyre is on the verge of locking up).  If you are only braking normally (ie not a panic stop) I would only expect this if you had tyres with very poor traction.