dopper99

Golf R vs ......

27 minutes ago, slider09 said:

I’ve seen some really tacky chavy Golf R’s.

I think the demographic of the owners of these two cars is totally different. I would say the age range of the owners of R’s is at least 5 years younger than the FRS. Some R owners appear to have just finished puberty from what I’ve seen!!

Yes, you do get some tackily modded FRS, however not as many as G7R’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, in my area - it's the opposite.

Every 7 / 7.5R i have seen looks stock....i've seen some pretty garish focus ST's and a couple of RS's in horrid luminous green, with massive spoilers and chav wheels.

As that post that asked everyone's age range said - i think the R's avg age driver is in their 40's :D

Maybe ya picked up on some of the new breed of R owners moving in, i.e. 'youngsters' who are picking up some old base spec 7R's and modding them, now that it's 5 years old and moved into their budget range.

Same here. Round here i've not noticed any modded 'R's. There are a couple of white ones, 1 red and 1 black that I have seen recently that look stock. On the outside at least. The boy racer specials are mainly pimped out STs and RSs  or older S3s.

There are some new traffic lights on the main road about 100 yards from my house. I hear them most nights, especially weekends sat there popping and banging, usually after 10pm. Annoying when you have young kids trying to sleep.

20 hours ago, Hertsman said:

To Be honest, rarely take the bait, tend to do the burst to position myself but back off when point made and let the whatever it is pass. 

Most who understand their cars know each others quite well and actually found at the level there is more mutual respect and a nod to, opposed to anything stupid. Its way I think, just because drive an R does not mean I do not appreciate other cars in and around the demographic.

Same here i've noticed that since driving the R most drivers who know cars have a level of mutual respect instead. Had an Evo 9 try and beat me the other day, I put my foot down and then let him past when i'd proved my point. He ended up just nodding in appreciation haha.

Also had a GTI try and beat me off the line, but he was just smiling as I drove past him as I think the just wanted to hear the R!

On 09/07/2019 at 12:03, dopper99 said:

Had a little duel with a Focus RS the other day on a duel carriageway, Nothing dramatic, only about 30-70mph for a few seconds ..... and he wasn't pulling away anytime soon. I daresay on a longer stretch (not on HM highways of course :) ) he'd have pulled away (or should do!).

My car is a stock 2019 7.5 R.

Be interested in other cars experiences, especially stock.

What car's have you had a duel with? (state your car and state of tune!)

I did something very similar this morning with a yank tank, it was a Ford mustang of some variety, full livery and covered in graphics. Sounded epic and to my surprise didn't pull away in the least in our 15-60mph dual 

My car is currently standard

5 hours ago, goodbadboy said:

Came across one of these the other day....Another win for my tuned R in a traffic light grand prix....The Mercedes AMG C43 4 Matic is 390bhp 287KW...4.7 secs 0-60

Stage 1 R and AWD FTW...:afro::lol:

merc 4.7 390hp 287 kw.jpeg

On my list of potential next cars - with the amg sports exhaust they sound better than the R.

8 hours ago, goodbadboy said:

Came across one of these the other day....Another win for my tuned R in a traffic light grand prix....The Mercedes AMG C43 4 Matic is 390bhp 287KW...4.7 secs 0-60

Stage 1 R and AWD FTW...:afro::lol:

merc 4.7 390hp 287 kw.jpeg

I just ordered a new R estate to replace my current one, but test drove a c43 estate. Nice car but is clearly heavier than the R in a good way (feels solidly made) and bad (feels heavier on it's feet). If you spend most of the time on the M'way it's probably a better car but with UK A, B and back roads R is better. Other reason to get/not get it is that it has slightly more rear seat space (unless you get the AMG sports seats) but a much smaller boot.

Had a little duel with a Focus RS the other day on a duel carriageway, Nothing dramatic, only about 30-70mph for a few seconds ..... and he wasn't pulling away anytime soon. I daresay on a longer stretch (not on HM highways of course  ) he'd have pulled away (or should do!).

My car is a stock 2019 7.5 R.

Be interested in other cars experiences, especially stock.

What car's have you had a duel with? (state your car and state of tune!)

Had same a while ago. I’d relate the encounter I had with a C63 but no one would believe me........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

Had same a while ago. I’d relate the encounter I had with a C63 but no one would believe me........

I had a C63s new last year (510bhp 700nm) and to be honest up to 60 mph there would not be a vast amount of difference between the R and the C63s. But beyond 60-70mph upwards these beasts are mental. They just keep pulling and pulling relentlessly and at that point would leave the Golf well behind.

But..... thats not a lot of use in the real world as you'll be pulled pretty quickly at those sorts of speeds if you persisted to drive like that as you are heading to license losing territory.

I had a C63s new last year (510bhp 700nm) and to be honest up to 60 mph there would not be a vast amount of difference between the R and the C63s. But beyond 60-70mph upwards these beasts are mental. They just keep pulling and pulling relentlessly and at that point would leave the Golf well behind.
But..... thats not a lot of use in the real world as you'll be pulled pretty quickly at those sorts of speeds if you persisted to drive like that as you are heading to license losing territory.

He tried going around the outside of me as I turned left off the roundabout. I wasn’t even racing him - I wanted to get ahead of the two trucks ahead as I knew where they were going and would’ve held me up - I didn’t even notice the AMG - was too focused on the trucks. He faded into the distance somewhat - I went through an S bend without issue - he was sideways and frantically wrestling with his steering wheel - I had to admit to chuckling!

My experiences from Mexico.....

Stock s3 (15plate) v Stock R - R won half car length (off the lights) 

Stock R v DTUK R - Stock R beat the DTUK R car (off the lights and from rolling 30, Must have been a bad tune or something)

Stock s3 (15plate) v R JB4 map2 - R won 2 car lengths (off the lights)

Stock R v BMW 135i (16 plate) - Stock R won half car lengths (rolling 30)

Stock R v Heavily modded C32 - C32 won.