Carter

Tyres and Traction control

Hi all, 

Ive got a mk7 R estate and im looking for abit of help!

It went into Vw for a service and a wheel bearing noise, vw said it was because the tyres have worn uneven causing road noise. 

I got the front 2 tyres changed like they recommended. Originally had pirelli changed to Bridgestone on the front.

After quickfit fitted the front tryes the traction control comes on ALOT. if i floor it at 40-60mph the traction kicks in. Infact its completely changed yhe characteristics of the car. 

I went back to quick fit, they didnt really have an answer but swapped the fronts with the back. 

This didn't help and now the traction control kicks in when doing 30mph and very lightly on the accelerator. Also comes on at 70ish with liytle pressure on the accelerator.

Vw couldnt find anything wrong, they couldnt see it on the test drive and no errors logged. 

Could it be the Bridgestones? Anyone had this before? 

Vw want the car for a few days to swap the wheels with a sales car to see if the fault goes.

After all of the above i still have the wheel bearing noise 😒

How much of a difference is there in the treadwear between the old and new tires? If they are significantly mismatched I could see how that could confuse the traction control.

3 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

Did VW check the Haldex? You shouldn't really get any spin at the front even with YingYang tyres let alone Bridgstones...

I'm with Dave on this one, I'll bet the haldex system isn't transferring power to the rear wheels, so the front tyres alone can't handle the power and are spinning. 

Try a fast takeoff from stopped on a gravel or grass surface and get someone standing outside to check if the rear wheels are spinning as well. If the back wheels aren't spinning as well then there is a problem with the rear wheel drive (most commonly a blocked haldex filter, but other causes can happen).

Thanks for the replys, 

The thing is going 30mph and with my foot hardly touching the the pedal the traction control kicks in. 

Same if im going 70mph. Its like the car thinks its loosing grip but it cant be at that speed?

8 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

Did VW check the Haldex? You shouldn't really get any spin at the front even with YingYang tyres let alone Bridgstones...

What Dave said...:afro:

15 minutes ago, goodbadboy said:

What Dave said...:afro:

They said they did, they scanned the car aswell and no faults were logged atall. 

Ill try and take a video, i cant see how the car can loose traction at that speed.  Before i could drive it really hard and wouldnt see the traction light unless it was wet or taking a corner abit fast

Edited by Carter

I bet Kwik Fit have knocked an abs sensor off slightly. Its the ABS sensors that sense variations in wheel rotation for the traction  control as well as braking - all the same stuff when you think about it.

I would think it unlikely that the haldex has thrown a hissy at the same time as tyres changed.

What happens if you turn the traction control totally off? I think its one press of the switch followed by a longer one.

Again, my post at #3. If the car has new tires in front which provide the most traction and you have tires with significantly more treadwear in the rear then the haldex can detect slippage and the traction control light will come on. Not sure in the UK but some places will shave down new tires to match treadwear. Hopefully this is all it is.

If it is a haldex issue, one of the biggest hassles is that it doesn’t generate fault codes as specific as most other components in the car. When I asked my mechanic how can you tell if there is a fault with the haldex, he said “use launch control”. A fun way to diagnose!

Again, my post at #3. If the car has new tires in front which provide the most traction and you have tires with significantly more treadwear in the rear then the haldex can detect slippage and the traction control light will come on. Not sure in the UK but some places will shave down new tires to match treadwear. Hopefully this is all it is.

If it is a haldex issue, one of the biggest hassles is that it doesn’t generate fault codes as specific as most other components in the car. When I asked my mechanic how can you tell if there is a fault with the haldex, he said “use launch control”. A fun way to diagnose!
Could well be but the op said he had the issue when he had the new tyres on the rear as well and if the worn tyres were that bad then the garage would have advised getting all 4, surely they wouldn't have missed an opportunity like that lol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Andygo said:

I bet Kwik Fit have knocked an abs sensor off slightly. Its the ABS sensors that sense variations in wheel rotation for the traction  control as well as braking - all the same stuff when you think about it.

This is another possibility, given that the issue only started to happen after being worked on, plus it is extremely unlikely to be spinning the wheels "at 70ish with liytle pressure on the accelerator." 

32 minutes ago, gregozedobe said:

This is another possibility, given that the issue only started to happen after being worked on, plus it is extremely unlikely to be spinning the wheels "at 70ish with liytle pressure on the accelerator." 

I mentioned that to vw but they said it would show a fault code up. 

The tyres that are on the front now have 5mil tread on them. 

Before i had the tryes changed the tyres changed the car ran perfect apart from the noise. 

Now i have the noise and the traction issue. 

If i drive the car hard the light doesn't come on. One when driving normal it kicks in.

When i turn traction control off it drives fine 

My thinking is they have damaged a sensor.  

Vw want it back in to fit 4 wheels from a 

sales Car to it to eliminate the tyres

1 hour ago, Carter said:

I mentioned that to vw but they said it would show a fault code up. 

The tyres that are on the front now have 5mil tread on them. 

Before i had the tryes changed the tyres changed the car ran perfect apart from the noise. 

Now i have the noise and the traction issue. 

If i drive the car hard the light doesn't come on. One when driving normal it kicks in.

When i turn traction control off it drives fine 

My thinking is they have damaged a sensor.  

Vw want it back in to fit 4 wheels from a 

sales Car to it to eliminate the tyres

A million percent it’s not the tyres. VW as usual being thick, especially as you have swapped the tyres.

if it drives fine with Tc off then it can’t be the tyres can it?

Had my Haldex disconnected when I went on a 2wd dyno and they had to clear a code then I'm sure

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Not all haldex problems throw an error code, which makes life difficult when dealing with  techs who can't think for themselves and rely wholly on the computers telling them what to do. 

You may have to take them for a drive and show them the problem so they can no longer deny it.