B1RDY

Hello from Newbie! Looking to buy facelift Golf R. Any tips to look out for? Thanks

Hi. Just joined the site as just sold my mk3 Focus RS and looking to buy a facelift R over the next week or so when the right one pops up. Any tips to look for? Thanks in advance

As in the title. Looking for a facelift Golf R at the moment but hard to find the right one with low miles and for reasonable money. Any tips to look for? I’ve just sold my mk3 Focus RS Edition to come over to the ‘R’ family as the wife hated the RS so I’m hoping she’ll prefer the Golfs more ‘understated’ appearance. Thanks in advance

Try and get a bit of spec if you can. If you like music Dynaudio is well worth trying to get as are the 19" wheels. 

Welcome to the forum Birdy....:welcome:...Best tip I can give you is wait for the right one to come along then jump on it..then you and your wife will both be very happy...:).....personally I waited a bit then the perfect R came along for me...Hopefully the same will apply to you...:wink:

You’ll have decided 3 dr or 5, Manual vs DSG, and preferred colour - Red, White, Black, Grey, White/silver,, Lapiz blue, night or Atlantic Blue, onyx, Turmeric yellow.

Poppular options include,  19 inch Pretoria/Spielberg Alloys,  Dynamic chassis control (adj. dampers)  Panoramic sunroof, leather seats, plain or dual tone,  keyless go, Dynaudio (big music).

and less common

Reversing Camera,  Climate windscreen (heated)  electric driver seat with leather.

and rare 

Performance Pack (Brakes, 19” Spielbergs, Rear spoiler, de- limited)

Akrapovic Exhaust system.  

Buy with VW warranty and extend the cover into YR 4 and 5 for peace of mind.   Choose your must haves and get a decent deal.  There isn’t a n R spec not worth having imho.  Done in haste. Hope it helps.  

good luck.  Enjoy your chosen R.👍

Only thing I can suggest is if your looking into a manual gearbox R then test drive both as I went with manual first, kept it for a year and then swapped it for a DSG.

For my DSG suits to car more and has added bonuses

Clutch on the manual 'box is a known weakness (even without an engine tune).

Blocked haldex filters are sometimes a problem - try a hard takeoff on a slippery surface (eg wet road) and make sure it isn't just spinning the front wheels (on bitumen it should just take off with no drama, on grass or gravel it should spin all 4 wheels).

Check for coolant leaks around the water pump/thermostat housing (more of  a problem on early build Rs, but worth looking at on a Mk7.5)

8 hours ago, NRW said:

You’ll have decided 3 dr or 5, Manual vs DSG, and preferred colour - Red, White, Black, Grey, White/silver,, Lapiz blue, night or Atlantic Blue, onyx, Turmeric yellow.

Poppular options include,  19 inch Pretoria/Spielberg Alloys,  Dynamic chassis control (adj. dampers)  Panoramic sunroof, leather seats, plain or dual tone,  keyless go, Dynaudio (big music).

and less common

Reversing Camera,  Climate windscreen (heated)  electric driver seat with leather.

and rare 

Performance Pack (Brakes, 19” Spielbergs, Rear spoiler, de- limited)

Akrapovic Exhaust system.  

Buy with VW warranty and extend the cover into YR 4 and 5 for peace of mind.   Choose your must haves and get a decent deal.  There isn’t a n R spec not worth having imho.  Done in haste. Hope it helps.  

good luck.  Enjoy your chosen R.👍

Pretty much above, but VW have dropped the extended warranty from the options list (shame really as I would have liked it.)

Edit: Just noticed he is looking at used so extended warranty no longer being available from new not an issue

23 minutes ago, Deano said:

Pretty much above, but VW have dropped the extended warranty from the options list (shame really as I would have liked it.)

Edit: Just noticed he is looking at used so extended warranty no longer being available from new not an issue

Yes Dean, I encountered this myself. I wanted it at point of sale but VW had removed it by the time the Dealer placed my order... so have to remember to buy it before end of third year.  If Used tho - with Das Welt Warranty, it’s possible, I think, to extend 12 m at a time, for up to age 10 or 100k miles??

i extended yearly on my last GTI, for peace of mind etc.  I could be wrong tho!!

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

Welcome to VWROC! 

:welcome:

Hope you find the right R soon. 

Thanks. I seem to have been looking for weeks and weeks. Made my mind up to get white.....now considering Lapiz or white. But must be 5 door DSG. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, B1RDY said:

Thanks. I seem to have been looking for weeks and weeks. Made my mind up to get white.....now considering Lapiz or white. But must be 5 door DSG. 👍🏻

5 door DSG is a great starting point!  

8 hours ago, ellixtt said:

Only thing I can suggest is if your looking into a manual gearbox R then test drive both as I went with manual first, kept it for a year and then swapped it for a DSG.

For my DSG suits to car more and has added bonuses

Definitely test drive both, but I disagree that DSG suits the car better.  Both transmissions have merit.  In the UK you have lots of options to sort through.  Here in the States they all come well-equipped.  Even so, as with any used car, service history and condition are at the top of the list.  And as with any used car, if there are features, colors, etc. that are important to you, find a car that has them.  Always best to take your time and not feel pressured to buy the first thing that grabs your attention.

7 minutes ago, Cogito said:

Definitely test drive both, but I disagree that DSG suits the car better.  Both transmissions have merit.

You have to go for what you want, but it is obvious that the car has been designed around DSG and DCC.  Without both the driving modes don't make sense.