ptraynor1

Golf R or GTI TCR (newbie)

Hi all,

I am in the position of purchasing a new unregistered R, I have given the stealers a deposit with the view of returning after I have thought over it a few days.

Sod’s law would have it after I left the showroom another stealer advertised 3dr GTI TCR (I think nardo grey equivalent). I have gone on holidays so was not able to test drive it yet.

It was my first time driving any R and was thoroughly impressed. Thought my first car was an 87 MK2 GTi which was 15 years ago!!

What is the general thoughts from owners of the GTI TCR.

Many thanks for your input, as I want to either put R on hold or go ahead.

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi. Nice dilemma to have. Assume DSG.  Performance likely very similar. R may just have the edge. GTI TCR comments needed re the lively, responsive , engaging drive & handling characteristics.  .

R has 4wd so this may be the decider.  if you are buying make sure you secure big discount.  A morning on Carwow can save over £5800 on an R full price £41k.  Bigger discounts can be found. 

Dr*ve the Deal, Bro*dspeed also worth a look.

i sense an urgent purchase is needed.  Good luck.

30 minutes ago, ptraynor1 said:

Hi all,

I am in the position of purchasing a new unregistered R, I have given the stealers a deposit with the view of returning after I have thought over it a few days.

Sod’s law would have it after I left the showroom another stealer advertised 3dr GTI TCR (I think nardo grey equivalent). I have gone on holidays so was not able to test drive it yet.

It was my first time driving any R and was thoroughly impressed. Thought my first car was an 87 MK2 GTi which was 15 years ago!!

What is the general thoughts from owners of the GTI TCR.

Many thanks for your input, as I want to either put R on hold or go ahead.

Many thanks

Test drive both then buy the R...:afro::lol:

Thank you NWR for the quick reply.

Yes both DSG. The R was in showroom when I want to test drive a 2017 R, therefore I didn’t have any input into the spec.

Lapiz blue
DSG
Carbon leather
Pan roof

They have give me a good discount on the price list price £40,450, which came down to £37,500 then dealer contribution of £1500 for taking their finance.

Out of interest I must check carwow.

Any input for GTI TSR owners would be great.

Thanks.

44 minutes ago, ptraynor1 said:

Thank you NWR for the quick reply.

Yes both DSG. The R was in showroom when I want to test drive a 2017 R, therefore I didn’t have any input into the spec.

Lapiz blue
DSG
Carbon leather
Pan roof

They have give me a good discount on the price list price £40,450, which came down to £37,500 then dealer contribution of £1500 for taking their finance.

Out of interest I must check carwow.

Any input for GTI TSR owners would be great.

Thanks.

A minor point. Over £40k new list price means you pay an extra £350 in “Road Tax” for the first 5 years.  Big money..  check carefully to avoid nasty surprises.  I’m butting out now.  Good luck with yr search.

A minor point. Over £40 new list price means you pay an extra £350 in “Road Tax” for the first 5 years.  Big money..  check carefully to avoid nasty surprises.  I’m butting out now.  Good luck with yr search.

Really!!! Can you elaborate on this NWR

14 minutes ago, ptraynor1 said:

14 minutes ago, ptraynor1 said:

Over £40000 new list price sorry.  See gov.uk/vehicle tax rates for more, copied this to help:-

Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000

You have to pay an extra £320 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).

Check the list price with your dealer so you know how much vehicle tax you’ll have to pay.

Ouch indeed.

It avoids a nasty surprise for the next 4 years.  New buyers spec their cars very carefully when seeking to avoid this £ hit.  You can do the same now !  Happy to be of help. Cheers.  Let’s know please where you end up with your search.  😀

10 hours ago, NRW said:

It avoids a nasty surprise for the next 4 years.  New buyers spec their cars very carefully when seeking to avoid this £ hit.  You can do the same now !  Happy to be of help. Cheers.  Let’s know please where you end up with your search.  😀

It's actually for a total of 6 years. First registration covers year one and then for the next five years you pay currently £465. It's a bit of a kick in the knackers to be honest but that's the way it is.

That R will be under the £40k as the list price is before the 1st year road tax, so list for that is actually £39,920 - on the road price is £40,450 - so that will save you the higher road tax if that sways you at all.

Looking at drive the deal there is probably a bit more discount to be haggled out of the dealer - about £2k cheaper but no idea how many weeks wait it is for a new build just now.

R owners will say pick the R, TCR owners will say pick the TCR - have a play with both and see what suits best! (PS pick the R!)

47 minutes ago, phazer said:

It's actually for a total of 6 years. First registration covers year one and then for the next five years you pay currently £465. It's a bit of a kick in the knackers to be honest but that's the way it is.

Blimey I didn’t realise the over £40k list price road tax was £465. I thought it was around £450 a year. I think I’d endeavor to keep the list price below £40k as that’s a heck of a lot of road tax on a Golf. Big difference between £140 and £465 a year, every year for 5 years.

Although I fear when the Mk8 comes out, it’ll be close to £40k (especially with a couple, of options), and we’ll all be stuffed if we want to trade up to that. 😥

8 minutes ago, dopper99 said:

Blimey I didn’t realise the over £40k list price road tax was £465. I thought it was around £450 a year. I think I’d endeavor to keep the list price below £40k as that’s a heck of a lot of road tax on a Golf. Big difference between £140 and £465 a year, every year for 5 years.

Although I fear when the Mk8 comes out, it’ll be close to £40k (especially with a couple, of options), and we’ll all be stuffed if we want to trade up to that. 😥

Yup, it's gone up. When I bought my TTS last year it was going to be £450 then the robbing gits put it up :(

I agree, keep below on a Golf. On mine list was over before I started so it was fair game for options. Bit crap with the Golf that fiddling with options is what it come down to. If you're gonna go over you may as well truly blow the 40k and have done.

Oh and while I think about it OP...does the TCR you've seen have the Akropovic exhaust? It's standard fit now, though the list price has increased a bit.

I have asked the dealer the question regards list price and tax. Waiting for him to get back to me. Fingers crossed it can be avoided.

Seems excessive to say the least.