Sign in to follow this  
PhilMill

Lumpy cold starts.

So I've had the R for a couple of weeks now, one thing I've noticed is that when starting first thing in the morning its seems to be a but lumpy, the revs hunt a bit and its takes a good 30 seconds to settle down, is this normal? my old MK6 GTI was smooth and sweet when it started.

One other thing I've notice too, the A/C Auto function is not a good, win the Mk6 got to temp the fan would almost go right off, in fact every car I've had did, but the R seems to keep the fan running higher all the time, its annoying more because if the have the vents open its on your hand of on the body all the time, it just doesn't seem as effective as the old car.

Phil

15 minutes ago, PhilMill said:

So I've had the R for a couple of weeks now, one thing I've noticed is that when starting first thing in the morning its seems to be a but lumpy, the revs hunt a bit and its takes a good 30 seconds to settle down, is this normal? my old MK6 GTI was smooth and sweet when it started.

One other thing I've notice too, the A/C Auto function is not a good, win the Mk6 got to temp the fan would almost go right off, in fact every car I've had did, but the R seems to keep the fan running higher all the time, its annoying more because if the have the vents open its on your hand of on the body all the time, it just doesn't seem as effective as the old car.

Phil

The slightly rough 30 second cold start is normal and is caused by overlapping valve timing for catalyst pre-heating  - although the rev's shouldn't hunt, they will be elevated though and usually sit at around 1100. Is this a UK car? also what mileage?

With the A/C function, press the menu button on the AC controls there is an option somewhere to change the fan profile, you can set it to low so it doesn't blow so hard all the time.

Thanks, good info on the fan control. The car is a 2017 Mk7 UK model with 13k on it. 

Phil

4 minutes ago, blower said:

With the A/C function, press the menu button on the AC controls there is an option somewhere to change the fan profile, you can set it to low so it doesn't blow so hard all the time.

15 minutes ago, blower said:

Cheers and thank you Blower for this pearl. I’m recent to my R and was not overjoyed with this but thought it was fixed. The adjustability is a real bonus for me, I’d never have worked this one out as long as I owned the car.

thanks again.🍺🍺