dopper99

Slight loss of power when booting it

Was driving along in D auto and wanted to overtake. Switched to S auto and then booted it, car bogged down for a about a second then went. Never had that sort of thing in any car I’ve driven or owned. Basically a slight loss of power for about a second and wasn't expecting that. Not the sort of thing you want when you just pull out to overtake. 

Only mod is a pedal box set to Sport.

im sure I’ve read similar issues on here ..... does my car have a fault and should I take it to the dealer? Or do “they all do that” (as the dealer would say).

2 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Was driving along in D auto and wanted to overtake. Switched to S auto and then booted it, car bogged down for a about a second then went. Never had that sort of thing in any car I’ve driven or owned. Basically a slight loss of power for about a second and wasn't expecting that. Not the sort of thing you want when you just pull out to overtake. 

Only mod is a pedal box set to Sport.

im sure I’ve read similar issues on here ..... does my car have a fault and should I take it to the dealer? Or do “they all do that” (as the dealer would say).

Did you hit the kickdown switch? - if so then that's probably your problem, you will get a DSG WTF moment - where it was about to select X gear as you switched to S mode then you hit the kickdown and it ended up having to select a different gear.....DSG box can take over a second if it has to reselect a gear just as it was about to select another....same can happen if you are not clear with you throttle input and hesitate or slam it but then half back out.

16 minutes ago, blower said:

Did you hit the kickdown switch? - if so then that's probably your problem, you will get a DSG WTF moment - where it was about to select X gear as you switched to S mode then you hit the kickdown and it ended up having to select a different gear.....DSG box can take over a second if it has to reselect a gear just as it was about to select another....same can happen if you are not clear with you throttle input and hesitate or slam it but then half back out.

Exactly this. Anyone familiar with DSG will know this scenario well.  But you can avoid hitting kickdown once you’ve experienced this a few times and learn when to stop short of the switch and get into that habit.  

8 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Exactly this. Anyone familiar with DSG will know this scenario well.  But you can avoid hitting kickdown once you’ve experienced this a few times and learn when to stop short of the switch and get into that habit.  

What Rebecca said....or use manual DSG mode and you can avoid this and get instant power...:wink:

Thanks all. I don’t actually recall if I pushed through kickdown or not! I suspect I may have ...... thinking about it, as I needed max power to overtake. I know I went into S, then 2 or 3 seconds later I floored it.

I’ll watch out for that in future and either use the paddles and avoid kick down. 👍

39 minutes ago, VW17GLF said:

Potentially what it could have been, I just tend to use the kickdown rather than S mode if I want to overtake to avoid the DSG WTF moments

Yeah it’s a good point. Kickdown is kickdown and will deliver full power, regardless of what mode you are in.

interesting point, I’m sure I read somewhere tuners (such as Unicorn) disable Kickdown?

11 hours ago, Booth11 said:

As the OP is running a Pedalbox set to Sport (with significantly increased sensitivity) it is possible the DSG changed down a gear (or 3) without pressing the throttle all the way down (past the kickdown switch point.

1 hour ago, dopper99 said:

Yeah it’s a good point. Kickdown is kickdown and will deliver full power, regardless of what mode you are in.

interesting point, I’m sure I read somewhere tuners (such as Unicorn) disable Kickdown?

Yes exactly which is why I tend just to use kickdown than switch to S as I have had a fair few of these moments myself. 

Yes some tuners tend to disable kickdown when it is in manual mode which is always good if you want full power in a particular gear without the car changing for you.

6 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

As the OP is running a Pedalbox set to Sport (with significantly increased sensitivity) it is possible the DSG changed down a gear (or 3) without pressing the throttle all the way down (past the kickdown switch point.

I also run a pedal box on sport with +2 sensitivity and can’t say I’ve experienced it drop the gears down in that situation. However the kickdown switch is notorious for bogging down for a sec in certain scenarios.  Could be other things of course, just one possible option.  

I get this in S now and then. I think the car trys to kick down to a gear, gets it and then has to change straight up

I get this in S now and then. I think the car trys to kick down to a gear, gets it and then has to change straight up
Yep combination of it holding revs too high, kicking down and then trying to change up because its then on the redline...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk