T-C

Blown Engine @ 21,000 miles

Hi all,

Unfortunately the engine on my lovely Lapiz blue R on Wednesday night and I'm after some advice on how to go forward with it please.

I bought the car second hand from a Volkswagen dealership with 14,000 miles on the clock. Whilst speaking to the dealership I asked them to check if they had any record of it previously being remapped as I know so many of these cars are remapped and I didn't want to buy a car with a dodgy remap or an invalid engine warranty. The dealership checked for me and confirmed it hadn't been mapped.

Twelve months later the engine has gone bang, I then decide to do some more research into the car and find out it was in fact previously remapped by APR but then removed before the car was sold to the dealership I bought it from.

The car is out of warranty now by three months but due to the full VW service history and low mileage I thought it was worth trying to speak to VW and seeing if they would either replace the engine for me or at least give a generous goodwill gesture towards it. What are my chances of this? Taking into consideration that I was potentially misinformed regarding the remap on the car.

Plan B is to try and source an engine and get it fitted myself. Even if VW did offer a goodwill gesture this still may be the cheaper option. A new engine from TPS is £5500+VAT.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

Edited by T-C

Hi Tom, 

Hope it goes well with VW, if not try Hills Motors for an engine - massive Car Dismantlers based in Skelmersdale, they are currently breaking around 6 Golf R's, all their engines are thoroughly inspected before resale and come with a range of warranties

Twelve months later the engine has gone bang, I then decide to do some more research into the car and find out it was in fact previously remapped by APR but then removed before the car was sold to the dealership I bought it from.

Is this evidence time stamped? I would go back to the supplying dealer and get them to admit the car has been modified prior.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Just now, podpod said:

Is this evidence time stamped? I would go back to the supplying dealer and get them to admit the car has been modified prior.

I have proof with a time stamp yes 

I have proof with a time stamp yes 

Go back and demand some sort of resolution. You brought the car In good faith that it was untouched. 

You may need to speak to vw uk to escalate if you dont get the right answers.

Also did you make any payments on credit card you may have protection via your that.

Pasted from resolver website

Your protection when buying a car from a garage

If you buy a new car or a used car from the dealer and something goes wrong with it, you’ll have extra protection if you bought it through:

Hire purchase

You have protection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The vehicle should be of satisfactory quality, fit for its purpose, and as described. With hire purchase, it is the finance provider rather than the dealer who is legally responsible to you if there are problems with the car.

Using a credit card

If you paid all or part of the cost of your car by credit card, the card company and the trader may be jointly responsible for compensating you under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Find out more about how you’re protected if you pay by credit card.

I think 2 things need to be addressed , firstly when you say the engine has blown , that could mean a lot of things , from a blown turbo , to upper engine failure to engine block failure , can you be a bit more specific?

secondly , VW are always going on about not honouring warranties if a car shows a TD1 or it’s been modified, so I would suggest if you have proof the car was modified before they sold it to you I would deffo be landing this at their door !

the only sticking point is the 12 odd months you have owned it , they could argue you have modified it in that time period , but again depends what has actually happened to your engine , without knowing that it would be hard for us to give you a proper way forward 👍

As previously mentioned. ‘Blown engine’.......is this your diagnosis? Unless confirmed otherwise chances are it’s your turbo - did you see lots of white smoke from the exhaust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As well as getting confirmation on the actual failure, the other issue is the disclosure from the dealership at point of sale.

did they knowingly sell a previously mapped car, what would be accepted as reasonable for a dealer to check if car had been previously mapped?

been down this route before with a dealership (years ago) it can be a right pain getting satisfaction.

also remember you can also go via VW UK and not just dealer.

another bit, is how did you find out it was APR rather than any of the other outfits?

If the car has run for a year or more after the map has been removed, I don’t believe that the map is necessarily the reason for the failure

my wife’s previous car had an APR map on it, for one reason or another it was removed, but it ran problem free for 4 years after it was removed & never missed a beat, 

what has actually failed on your engine, was its maintenance record all on point & up to date, was the Car always warmed up/cooled down correctly, was it driven in anger regularly, all of these could be just as likely to cause a failure as a past life remap that’s been on them removed

5 hours ago, Jeff R said:

If the car has run for a year or more after the map has been removed, I don’t believe that the map is necessarily the reason for the failure

my wife’s previous car had an APR map on it, for one reason or another it was removed, but it ran problem free for 4 years after it was removed & never missed a beat, 

what has actually failed on your engine, was its maintenance record all on point & up to date, was the Car always warmed up/cooled down correctly, was it driven in anger regularly, all of these could be just as likely to cause a failure as a past life remap that’s been on them removed

Your right but it's not the point. I would still complain that it wasnt brought to the OP attention before making the purchase. 

Sorry to hear that mate

IMO for VW to sell an approved vehicle with low mileage and the engine has blown shortly after the Das Walt warranty has ended is not on at all, I would expect them to find the reason for the failure, if it was user error like wrong oil or letting it go dry then fair enough but if it was serviced correctly (by VW) then there is no reason for it to go so early.

To hear it’s been previously mapped without them knowing is a slap in the face given the circumstances, I would definitely put a complaint in.

Hope you get the support.

Playing devils advocate, the OP seems quick to blame the remap for the failure. How do you know this is the cause for the failure? How many people have suffered engine failure as a result of a remap? Doesn't sound a common occurrence from what you read on here (unless not everyone is posting about failures).

Not saying it didn't cause the failure, just looking at other options as to the cause .... but its too easy the jump on the bandwagon and blame the remap. There's no telling how well the previous owner looked after the car (eg letting the oil run low etc...).

However, the point is the dealership didn't look hard enough to see if the car had been previously remapped. Hopefully you will get something sorted with them.

As mentioned a remap alone especially one from a well known and respected tuner is not likely to be the only reason for an engine failure, oil starvation or manufacturing defect is far more likely.

Worth speaking to VW as you mention as you bought it from them and were assured it was an unmolested example, which it obviously wasnt!

Good luck getting a good resolution on this, hopefully VW do the right thing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk