YDN4

Nurburgring / Nordschleife evening sessions to try APR Low Torque Map...

Hi all / recently had the APR Low Torque 98 Ron Map. Coincided with a friend (Porsche 991 Turbo S) suggesting a couple of evening sessions at the Ring.

So a quick 1001 mile test ensued....!

EC038-B17-CBF2-45-CA-A3-F8-3-EB9-E6945-A

Some onboard footage and my thoughts on the three days of fun…!

What an enjoyable trip, three days of great company, nice scenery... , weather, cars and food... even managed to pop to Cochem, a picturesque town on the Moselles river, Wednesday daytime which broke up the track action:

6178-A266-6-B8-A-4766-A7-F3-3-D2819-E3-A

A9075-ED0-1-C42-4668-BDD3-7-ED1-E99797-C

My family hatch… 2016 / Mk7 / DSG / APR Stage 1 low torque map (I’d guess around 360 BHP and 360 lbft not dyno’d as yet). 

Not a proper sports car - and the Ring really highlights this - especially the need for:

Tyres (excuse 1) think I’m used to the AD08Rs on my ratty old sprintday Celica, Golf is on its OEM S001 Bridgestones (slippy when hot…had to be wary of managing understeer – road speeds you can normally load it up – foot in and it will pull round…).

Brakes (excuse 2) Car is running OEM discs with Brembo (OEM – I may beg to differ - grade) pads up front and pagid discs / pads rear.

Initially first two laps on the Tuesday eveningI took a passenger / to get my eye back in / not go silly straight away.

The front brakes overheated – even after a drive locally after each lap they were still emitting wisps of smoke. There was also an odd noise – like unbalanced brakes / wheels… more on that below*.

The front pads did look like they `cooked` and started to break up at the disc face took on an appearance not dissimilar to BBQ coals:

AD27-C16-C-E895-41-C8-8449-F12-BD68-F309

However once cooled they regained `some` bite and were at least useable the following evening – if not that confidence inspiring.

Chassis work / Transmission (excuse 3) .... to be fair it’s on standard `non adaptive` damping and felt pretty good – it did lean / but not excessive roll / and although a tiny touch floaty in parts but that is the undulations at the Ring:

DE2-E5-D2-B-5-C51-406-A-B63-A-AAC0-A6-A8

I can now also see why people have the DSG boxes mapped (TCU tune). 

You can even hear in the footage me requesting changes (paddles and lever incase I hadn’t hit the paddle firmly enough) which wouldn’t have caused over revving - that the car didn’t deliver.... it’s almost as if at certain speeds / it ensures you want to change / airing on safety and you need a double press. Not had that on the road at all.

** Warning ** - Always check your car properly!!!!

So the first evening session was cut short due to a bad accident closing the circuit around 6pm(ie not re-opening for the rest of the evening.).

On the few minute drive back to the hotel there was a horrendous noise from the front when turning left and right – like the diff had broken / or the brakes had somehow worked loose / or a wheel / tyre was out of round.

After some initial thoughts once cooled we went to check it over – I noticed one of the wheel cap covers missing and the rest of them sitting proud…. yep – All of the offside wheel nuts were HAND TIGHT…. I cannot explain the feelings I had at that time! (I had indicated a good 165 on the autobahn the day before …) and done two laps with passengers…

I didn’t check the wheel torques at the front as part of the checks I did… 🤦🏼‍♂️ my `guess` is that when it was last off the wheel was nipped up / and wasn’t torqued afterwards... / the extreme heat cycle has then caused them to loosen….

Either way I decided to count my blessings and tighten them up….

Onto happier thoughts – and a better / quieter evening session with no closures

Lap times:

The Wednesday eve my best two laps in the Golf – I managed a bridge to gantry of 8:41and an oddly consistent 8:42.... GPS gave an average of 84 MPH and a 135 MPH peak on circuit:

99-DA531-E-48-D6-423-E-A074-6-AF5208-CBF

Autobahn blast (traffic) showed a GPS 159 - rock solid at this speed:

695-DCDA6-44-A7-42-A2-8593-37-AA1222-F60

MPG – I left the average ticking away from the start back in the UK…. 416 miles gave an average of 29 MPG - that includes some derestricted autobahn.... however ... on circuit.... 8.6 MPG:

A85-A5-BB1-2-D3-F-43-AE-861-A-63-ED014-E

Few sums showed about £290 fuel (98) all in.

Two onboard laps:

https://youtu.be/VB9je5qnic8

https://youtu.be/haVzGiKMTJg

Few photos:

09-B8-ADB1-782-C-43-D1-8145-5-E61-A1-CD0

Pretty busy:

0-E753-FB8-76-A9-459-B-B8-CB-0-FCDD52488

Interesting Breakie:

7039-A5-FE-7-EC1-46-E5-8-D9-C-F8-B4-DF77

Well located accommodation on the half lap entrance:

0-BF0-DCF8-1135-453-D-9101-B2-DF0-AFE994

2-BF200-D9-462-A-44-D4-AE51-E567-F69-E9-

But overall a great car for a trip like that - really comfortable - DynAudio and Apply Play made the journey enjoyable.. 

I feel that the APR Stage One tune has transformed the car for me - feels like it ‘should’. Feels nicely torquey (oddly) and has so much more urgency over how it initially felt (I’ve had the car since January).

Really happy with the engine performance (in this first 1000 miles of the Map).

Now thinking a TCU tune (due to the reasons above) / Cup 2s / Clubsport discs and pads (or similar).. would increase my enjoyment.

A great few days.... thanks for reading.

8 hours ago, YDN4 said:

Hi all / recently had the APR Low Torque 98 Ron Map. Coincided with a friend (Porsche 991 Turbo S) suggesting a couple of evening sessions at the Ring.

So a quick 1001 mile test ensued....!

EC038-B17-CBF2-45-CA-A3-F8-3-EB9-E6945-A

Some onboard footage and my thoughts on the three days of fun…!

What an enjoyable trip, three days of great company, nice scenery... , weather, cars and food... even managed to pop to Cochem, a picturesque town on the Moselles river, Wednesday daytime which broke up the track action:

6178-A266-6-B8-A-4766-A7-F3-3-D2819-E3-A

A9075-ED0-1-C42-4668-BDD3-7-ED1-E99797-C

My family hatch… 2016 / Mk7 / DSG / APR Stage 1 low torque map (I’d guess around 360 BHP and 360 lbft not dyno’d as yet). 

Not a proper sports car - and the Ring really highlights this - especially the need for:

Tyres (excuse 1) think I’m used to the AD08Rs on my ratty old sprintday Celica, Golf is on its OEM S001 Bridgestones (slippy when hot…had to be wary of managing understeer – road speeds you can normally load it up – foot in and it will pull round…).

Brakes (excuse 2) Car is running OEM discs with Brembo (OEM – I may beg to differ - grade) pads up front and pagid discs / pads rear.

Initially first two laps on the Tuesday eveningI took a passenger / to get my eye back in / not go silly straight away.

The front brakes overheated – even after a drive locally after each lap they were still emitting wisps of smoke. There was also an odd noise – like unbalanced brakes / wheels… more on that below*.

The front pads did look like they `cooked` and started to break up at the disc face took on an appearance not dissimilar to BBQ coals:

AD27-C16-C-E895-41-C8-8449-F12-BD68-F309

However once cooled they regained `some` bite and were at least useable the following evening – if not that confidence inspiring.

Chassis work / Transmission (excuse 3) .... to be fair it’s on standard `non adaptive` damping and felt pretty good – it did lean / but not excessive roll / and although a tiny touch floaty in parts but that is the undulations at the Ring:

DE2-E5-D2-B-5-C51-406-A-B63-A-AAC0-A6-A8

I can now also see why people have the DSG boxes mapped (TCU tune). 

You can even hear in the footage me requesting changes (paddles and lever incase I hadn’t hit the paddle firmly enough) which wouldn’t have caused over revving - that the car didn’t deliver.... it’s almost as if at certain speeds / it ensures you want to change / airing on safety and you need a double press. Not had that on the road at all.

** Warning ** - Always check your car properly!!!!

So the first evening session was cut short due to a bad accident closing the circuit around 6pm(ie not re-opening for the rest of the evening.).

On the few minute drive back to the hotel there was a horrendous noise from the front when turning left and right – like the diff had broken / or the brakes had somehow worked loose / or a wheel / tyre was out of round.

After some initial thoughts once cooled we went to check it over – I noticed one of the wheel cap covers missing and the rest of them sitting proud…. yep – All of the offside wheel nuts were HAND TIGHT…. I cannot explain the feelings I had at that time! (I had indicated a good 165 on the autobahn the day before …) and done two laps with passengers…

I didn’t check the wheel torques at the front as part of the checks I did… 🤦🏼‍♂️ my `guess` is that when it was last off the wheel was nipped up / and wasn’t torqued afterwards... / the extreme heat cycle has then caused them to loosen….

Either way I decided to count my blessings and tighten them up….

Onto happier thoughts – and a better / quieter evening session with no closures

Lap times:

The Wednesday eve my best two laps in the Golf – I managed a bridge to gantry of 8:41and an oddly consistent 8:42.... GPS gave an average of 84 MPH and a 135 MPH peak on circuit:

99-DA531-E-48-D6-423-E-A074-6-AF5208-CBF

Autobahn blast (traffic) showed a GPS 159 - rock solid at this speed:

695-DCDA6-44-A7-42-A2-8593-37-AA1222-F60

MPG – I left the average ticking away from the start back in the UK…. 416 miles gave an average of 29 MPG - that includes some derestricted autobahn.... however ... on circuit.... 8.6 MPG:

A85-A5-BB1-2-D3-F-43-AE-861-A-63-ED014-E

Few sums showed about £290 fuel (98) all in.

Two onboard laps:

https://youtu.be/VB9je5qnic8

https://youtu.be/haVzGiKMTJg

Few photos:

09-B8-ADB1-782-C-43-D1-8145-5-E61-A1-CD0

Pretty busy:

0-E753-FB8-76-A9-459-B-B8-CB-0-FCDD52488

Interesting Breakie:

7039-A5-FE-7-EC1-46-E5-8-D9-C-F8-B4-DF77

Well located accommodation on the half lap entrance:

0-BF0-DCF8-1135-453-D-9101-B2-DF0-AFE994

2-BF200-D9-462-A-44-D4-AE51-E567-F69-E9-

But overall a great car for a trip like that - really comfortable - DynAudio and Apply Play made the journey enjoyable.. 

I feel that the APR Stage One tune has transformed the car for me - feels like it ‘should’. Feels nicely torquey (oddly) and has so much more urgency over how it initially felt (I’ve had the car since January).

Really happy with the engine performance (in this first 1000 miles of the Map).

Now thinking a TCU tune (due to the reasons above) / Cup 2s / Clubsport discs and pads (or similar).. would increase my enjoyment.

A great few days.... thanks for reading.

Awesome post and fantastic pics...:):afro:

looks liek you had a enjoyable trip. Did nurburgring last year, but didn't go round in the R.

The autobahn certainly is a experiance, I have just come back (went to porsche / merc museum) the amount of roadworks / bad driving I saw was a bit of a eye opener, but I think its just a town thing.

My best was 140 mph at 6am, I don't have much confidence in the bridgestones, and had to slow down due to the slight bend on the auto bahn, we drove a polo gti round the ring from apex (with guide) - only my second time track driving!

Really is a fantastic place, not just for the circuit but also the roads around that area.

Thanks @PocketRocket @Norm4n

Renting something @gazza5 makes so much sense, agreed on the autobahn driving - some HGVs enjoyed brake testing the R ...

Thoroughly enjoyed the Merc museum a few years back - keep meaning to visit the revamped Porsche one. Previously had a few (996 Turbo / 981S etc..) but due to having a toddler now the R makes a lot of sense.

Great write up. 

The R is a great road car, but out of the box on track it has the deficiencies you mention. 

Mainly tyre heat related and brakes 

Decent times though 👍

Had a chance to check the car over ... all fine (wheels stayed torqued 600 + miles later including the two Wednesday sessions...).

All the caliper seals look fine and the bolts remain torqued (which is nice).

Discs look like they’ve certainly seen some heat - rusty red finish - but still function and feel fine at road speeds.

Picked up some of the RS3 air ducts this morning from local Audi dealer - so thanks to those posting about that upgrade on the forum:

0935-D736-6-ED1-40-AE-B7-B3-CEF97603-BF7

1-DB0-D747-1-F79-4-D41-8-B3-D-3-E37-C3-A

DAA5-B417-03-AC-4-BA9-B75-D-B474-A27-D12

Nice post, and nice to read Ring experiences. I used to go twice a year (for me it's over 2000 km one way) with my previous car, still haven't been with my R. Planning a trip at the end of august.

Really good lap time