Shinything

Hating my Golf R 19 reg

Really dumb question, can others hear the same noise level in the car?  andwhat age is OP and has he had a hearing test recently?

Before I get flamed, let me explain. I’m ageing and recently got hearing aids as SWMBO was fed up with me answering “What?” to every question, and the TV was shaking the house as volume so high. Just a fact of getting old that some people (especially middle aged men) lose some frequencies.

Anyway when indoors I now sometimes get really bugged by noises / frequencies, when not wearing the aids, but no-one else can hear them.

Only upside is with the frequency I get boosted with the aids I don’t wear them in the car as engine noise is at exactly the frequency I get boosted. As a result I have the quietest R in the world (to me) but can still hear conversation and the radio fine.

All frequency and pitch related, not level of noise...

Really dumb question, can others hear the same noise level in the car?  andwhat age is OP and has he had a hearing test recently?

Before I get flamed, let me explain. I’m ageing and recently got hearing aids as SWMBO was fed up with me answering “What?” to every question, and the TV was shaking the house as volume so high. Just a fact of getting old that some people (especially middle aged men) lose some frequencies.
Anyway when indoors I now sometimes get really bugged by noises / frequencies, when not wearing the aids, but no-one else can hear them.

Only upside is with the frequency I get boosted with the aids I don’t wear them in the car as engine noise is at exactly the frequency I get boosted. As a result I have the quietest R in the world (to me) but can still hear conversation and the radio fine.

The trouble is it is such a personal thing, much like ride quality etc too, I listen to my music in the car pretty loud as I dont get the chance at home much so rattles/squeaks etc dont bother me in the slightest whereas someone else might drive in silence and notice every single little sound and go crazy!

I'm glad the OP go it sorted but I am inclined to think if I had driven his car I would think it was absolutely fine and if he drove mine he would be a jibbering wreck as soon as he started it up and his fillings rattled along with the exhaust

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Oh and speak up dear!

Its HALF PAST ELEVEN!!!!

14 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

The trouble is it is such a personal thing, much like ride quality etc too, I listen to my music in the car pretty loud as I dont get the chance at home much so rattles/squeaks etc dont bother me in the slightest whereas someone else might drive in silence and notice every single little sound and go crazy!

Same here.  What you can’t hear (rattles and squeaks) can’t annoy you.  

Mind you...turn the volume down and....arghhh!  😁

13 hours ago, SimonR said:

I already tried changing just the tyres on the 19s. The conti's that came out of the shoowroom were literally a joke and I couldn't even hear myself think with those on. I binned those after just 500 miles and got a set on MPS4S on there. Nice performance tyres, but the noise reduction was minimal tbh.

But today I am a happy man! The 18s and some softer tyres that went on today have made a HUGE difference. It's still not right for sure, but the noise has reduced by around 40% I reckon, just based on the few miles I've tested today.

I even had a Bluetooth phone conversation while driving where the person on the other end could actually hear me, which has never happened before.

It was a lot of hassle to get to this point, but today was the 1st time I enjoyed driving the car, having owned it for 3 months. And I much prefer the look of it with the Cadiz too, so it's a double win.

The slightly annoying side effect is that it's now quiet enough in the cabin for me to hear everything rattling! Both front doors seen to be fidgeting about and there is a rattle coming from the sensors up behind the rear view mirror. But the very fact that I can hear those proves that there has been a big improvement in the road noise for sure and I can work on the rattles another day.

Simon, is it the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 2 that you have had fitted? They are the lowest noise tyre I can see advertised at 68db (71db for PS4 or 72db for Potenzas) . I do 80%+ on motorway/dual carriageway and the drone of the OEM Bridgestones is very wearing.

Same here.  What you can’t hear (rattles and squeaks) can’t annoy you.  

Mind you...turn the volume down and....arghhh!  
My wingbacks creak and groan like feck but they are so comfortable I really don't care, and if I don't have any music on it's the exhaust that means i can't hear anything

7 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

The flashing works perfectly well thanks, used on plenty of cars and it is almost identical to what a lot of sellers class as sound insulation. It's not as good as the expensive stuff but if you want to do it on a budget it is good stuff

Your original quote said roof insulation, which is what I was referring to. 

Flashing  is something entirely different. I can see that self-adhesive bitumen style flashing would help reduce vibration and sound transmission. As you say it's a bit like a cheaper version of dynamat etc

10 minutes ago, GeoffT said:

Flashing  is something entirely different. I can see that self-adhesive bitumen style flashing would help reduce vibration and sound transmission. As you say it's a bit like a cheaper version of dynamat etc

Don't use bitumen based flashing tape, it will smell in the hot weather. You need to use the Butyl stuff - this is what the big players like dynamat makes their sound deadening from adding an aluminium backing and pattern to further kill/attenuate noise.

In one of my other cars I have the inside of the panels covered in the stuff (from the days of mega sound systems :D). If you tap the quarter panel it sounds like plastic. Job done.

Yeah sorry meant flashing not roof insulation!

I already tried changing just the tyres on the 19s. The conti's that came out of the shoowroom were literally a joke and I couldn't even hear myself think with those on. I binned those after just 500 miles and got a set on MPS4S on there. Nice performance tyres, but the noise reduction was minimal tbh.

But today I am a happy man! The 18s and some softer tyres that went on today have made a HUGE difference. It's still not right for sure, but the noise has reduced by around 40% I reckon, just based on the few miles I've tested today.

I even had a Bluetooth phone conversation while driving where the person on the other end could actually hear me, which has never happened before.

It was a lot of hassle to get to this point, but today was the 1st time I enjoyed driving the car, having owned it for 3 months. And I much prefer the look of it with the Cadiz too, so it's a double win.

The slightly annoying side effect is that it's now quiet enough in the cabin for me to hear everything rattling! Both front doors seen to be fidgeting about and there is a rattle coming from the sensors up behind the rear view mirror. But the very fact that I can hear those proves that there has been a big improvement in the road noise for sure and I can work on the rattles another day.

Success! I was toying with changing my car o a 7.5 before bring diagnosed with my cancer and after having two cars with DCC and 19s, I wouldn’t touch a car on 19s without it. I read an interview with the designer of the mk7 and watched a recent test on Pistonheads between the R on DCC and the A35 (I won’t spoil the results!) and both said if you have the 19s, DCC is almost a default choice. My mk7 is DCC, 19s and MPS4S and it’s perfect. The bonus is that DCC isn’t just something that smooths the road out - it’s an active damper system so it’s monitoring and levelling the car through bends so it’s a win win situation. What’s annoying is the tools employed in dealerships who order demonstraters with 19s and no DCC. I dismissed them straight away. As for mine, each time I drive it, I still love it and given the fun I had a while ago with an RS, an A35, and a C63S, I’m sticking with it but think it’ll greatly benefit from a stage 1 tune - plus it’s a car I specced for me so it’s ALL MINE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

Success! I was toying with changing my car o a 7.5 before bring diagnosed with my cancer and after having two cars with DCC and 19s, I wouldn’t touch a car on 19s without it. I read an interview with the designer of the mk7 and watched a recent test on Pistonheads between the R on DCC and the A35 (I won’t spoil the results!) and both said if you have the 19s, DCC is almost a default choice. My mk7 is DCC, 19s and MPS4S and it’s perfect. The bonus is that DCC isn’t just something that smooths the road out - it’s an active damper system so it’s monitoring and levelling the car through bends so it’s a win win situation. What’s annoying is the tools employed in dealerships who order demonstraters with 19s and no DCC. I dismissed them straight away. As for mine, each time I drive it, I still love it and given the fun I had a while ago with an RS, an A35, and a C63S, I’m sticking with it but think it’ll greatly benefit from a stage 1 tune - plus it’s a car I specced for me so it’s ALL MINE!emoji23.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DCC was always a must when specing my R - no DCC = deal breaker. I had DCC in my mk6 and it was good but the mk7 DCC on the R is so much more effective. Unlike the mk6 which was a subtle difference between modes. The mk7 in comfort mode surprisingly smooths out the small bumps and ripples. Previous incarnations of DCC only really effected the larger bumps and undulations. Once i added the MPS4S tyres the general road roughness went too.

18" wheels are fine on an R, but once you go to 19's i couldn't imagine not having DCC for everyday driving. I'm almost permanently in comfort suspension via individual mode - I only flick to normal on some spirted driving but if the road gets rough my god do i notice the difference. Sport is just too pogo-sticky for me (as it always has been on any DCC incarnation). Fine on flat roads but once you start having fast undulations ya bobbing up and down like zebedee!

This thread has me a tad worried as the R I've ordered is a new WLTP model on 19" Prets and non-DCC....

Not sure how much longer til I take delivery, it left Germany last Friday, but I believe I still have a dB meter somewhere as I used it to set up my HiFi so when I get my hands on the car I will report back with some figures

I have great sympathy with those experiencing noise issues and not bonding with their R. I recently sold my Golf R estate (pre-WLTP, 19” wheels and it had DCC) after a few months of ownership. 

Ride quality initially i thought was good but after living with it for a bit it was either way too harsh or in comfort mode you’d get jiggled all over the place at low speeds and still crashy.

The cabin rattled and creaked going over every bump (it took me a long painful time to get VW to sort those under warranty) and it was always noisy driving anywhere, motorways included. I didn’t like being in it that much, never a relaxing drive and I felt like a hooligan the whole time.

The seats were really comfortable and the performance was amazing - handling wise it was super pointy but never that much fun to drive weirdly as it was so capable. Tonnes of room in the back so super practical, but I think in all honesty the hatchback R is far more suited to being an R than the variant is. 

It began to annoy me every time I drove it. I realised the day I took a 16 year old Nissan Micra on a journey instead of the Golf R it was time to part ways! They are great cars but not quite right for everyone is how I’d describe them - and it wasn’t right for me as I’d always had BMWs but got lured in by the pace and practicality.

Anyway, switched to a BMW 340i touring and am very happy, so sorry to say the OP might be best following suit. 

Good luck all, and this is a great helpful forum. 

Cheers