ellixtt

Golf R vs A45 Exhaust Note

Over the past week I’ve had a guy in an A45 go by my house and the exhaust sounds like absolute thunder! Has a really deep growl like the RS3

Keep thinking to myself how is it that some cars can achieve such great sounding exhaust (relative I know) and others cannot, even with after market?

For example IMO I think the R sounds okay but can be better, I’ve heard a few aftermarket exhaust and they sound better than stock for the most part but never get that brutal roar it’s more just loud noise like a riced our civic in a way, and get the 1.4 Fiat Abarth’s sound amazing!

I think the mini cooper works sound pretty good.

I feel the golf needs a bit more bass to the note, I don't expect a amg v8 noise, but then I prefer a more bassy tone to my exhausts. I don't always like the golf r dsg fart, have to be in the mood for that.

Although when I left my mums house on Saturday, she asked me if my exhaust has a hole in it and I should get it fixed and that clearly german engineering is crap as they can't even make a exhaust (golf r estate 17 plate cold start up).

My missus also doesn't like the r exhaust, says it sounds crap and makes the car sound about 10 years old, and not even a 17 year old virgin would be impressed (I kid you not her exact words).

28 minutes ago, gazza5 said:

I feel the golf needs a bit more bass to the note, I don't expect a amg v8 noise, but then I prefer a more bassy tone to my exhausts. I don't always like the golf r dsg fart, have to be in the mood for that.

Although when I left my mums house on Saturday, she asked me if my exhaust has a hole in it and I should get it fixed and that clearly german engineering is crap as they can't even make a exhaust (golf r estate 17 plate cold start up).

My missus also doesn't like the r exhaust, says it sounds crap and makes the car sound about 10 years old, and not even a 17 year old virgin would be impressed (I kid you not her exact words).

I dont mind the DSG farts so much, sometimes they sound like a bang which is nice but I usually find a res delete turns a DSG fart into a DSG wet fart 😂 

Im not sure what can be done to achieve a RS3/A45 note, a full system is out the picture for me at the moment but a custom back box or back box delete is another option maybe? I’m not sure the pros and cons of that and how it will affect the car, I don’t have much experience with exhaust changes! 

1 hour ago, camelsac2002 said:

Res delete would be a good cheap start I reckon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I feel as though the average res delete turns a DSG fart into a wet fart, doesn’t give it that Big Bang on upshift 

10 hours ago, gazza5 said:

My Mrs is quite the opposite and things at idle, that the exhaust sounds stupid and far noisier than it need be. 

Now I know it is all personal opinion.......but she is right,

This obsession with a noisy exhaust is a bit strange. Why do people want to show off how noisy their car is to others? I know that there is a denial about it being for others, but if it was for the driver, then the soundaktor would make up (partially) for what people want from a 4cyl, even if it is fake. When I see someone drive past me with a noisy exhaust I think "what a fool, I just don't want to hear you and your car". The fewer cylinders you have, the bigger the fool you are. 

Yep disappointed with my Golf's exhaust but my neighbours are a lot happier as they don't hear my 0545 departures as much.

My A45 had a performance exhaust and was mad but I really miss it.

However with the A45 if you were 'on it' everybody knew and it actually frightened some pedestrians, so stealth is perhaps more sensible but something in between would be spot on.

My Grandkids really miss it and frequently comment..........

two of them are actually on hols in Florida and got a Mustang V8 upgrade.....they love it's noise.....both girls 13 &16 are budding petrol heads !

45 minutes ago, Charles M said:

My Mrs is quite the opposite and things at idle, that the exhaust sounds stupid and far noisier than it need be. 

This obsession with a noisy exhaust is a bit strange. Why do people want to show off how noisy their car is to others? I know that there is a denial about it being for others, but if it was for the driver, then the soundaktor would make up (partially) for what people want from a 4cyl, even if it is fake. When I see someone drive past me with a noisy exhaust I think "what a fool, I just don't want to hear you and your car". The fewer cylinders you have, the bigger the fool you are. 

Many different opinions on this issue, but I agree with Charles and his Mrs - noisy exhausts just annoy me and most of the people within earshot.  My Missus even thinks my R (with std exhaust) is a bit louder than it should be when I give it some beans, if I drive gently it is deemed to be acceptable (but where is the fun in that ?)  I much prefer a car where I can use much of the performance without attracting ANY attention.

If too many people modify their cars to have loud exhausts then the general public will pressure politicians (who are always looking for more votes) and the police (who are always looking for more resources) to crack down on noisy exhausts and modified and performance cars in general, so we will be worse off.  Or maybe EVs will become compulsory (no exhaust noise from an electric motor) and all enthusiasts will miss out.

I've ranted about this issue in the past - IMO we need exhaust systems that are loud inside the car (for those who think it sounds "cool") but are quiet outside (for the rest of the population that doesn't appreciate sound pollution).

4 hours ago, Charles M said:

I do get what you mean with attracting attention and agree to some degree but I do appreciate a great sounding exhaust, when some gives it some past me in an RS6 etc. I love it 😂😂 like a little kid really!

Thats my only issue with some cars, I don't just like loud exhausts it has to have some character but you only usually get that with the big V engines.

Even though a lot of Golf R owners don't like the stock exhaust....(The R in race mode is deceptively loud from the outside) and when I'm giving it a bootful I see people turning there heads looking at who or what is approaching and I'm about 100 metes away....:lol:...plus the burbles sound pretty cool on the over run...As time goes on I like my R exhaust even more....and I'm one who doesn't mind the soundaktor either...:afro:

Also a fan of the DSG farts in race and sport mode...:)....I may still get an aftermarket exhaust...probably BCS Powervalve....(but its not so much of a priority now)...:smiley:

17 hours ago, ellixtt said:

I dont mind the DSG farts so much, sometimes they sound like a bang which is nice but I usually find a res delete turns a DSG fart into a DSG wet fart 😂 

Im not sure what can be done to achieve a RS3/A45 note, a full system is out the picture for me at the moment but a custom back box or back box delete is another option maybe? I’m not sure the pros and cons of that and how it will affect the car, I don’t have much experience with exhaust changes! 

I've never heard a four-cylinder engine/exhaust that sounds anywhere near as good as the 2.5 five-pot in the RS3. My A45 (I had a pre-facelift W176) sounded a lot more aggressive and dramatic than either of the Golf Rs I've had, but it wasn't sonorous or particularly pleasant to listen to. I had an 8P RS3 and an 8J TT RS (both with the 5-cylinder engine) and it's one of best-sounding (and -performing) sub-8-cylinder engines I've ever experienced.

3 hours ago, goodbadboy said:

Even though a lot of Golf R owners don't like the stock exhaust....(The R in race mode is deceptively loud from the outside) and when I'm giving it a bootful I see people turning there heads looking at who or what is approaching and I'm about 100 metes away....:lol:...plus the burbles sound pretty cool on the over run...As time goes on I like my R exhaust even more....and I'm one who doesn't mind the soundaktor either...:afro:

Also a fan of the DSG farts in race and sport mode...:)....I may still get an aftermarket exhaust...probably BCS Powervalve....(but its not so much of a priority now)...:smiley:

I dont mind soundaktor either especially when booting it, gives some confidence but I have now coded it off after 10 months of having it, much better without it IMO especially with the exhaust valves coded permanently open... Can now hear the exhaust much more form the inside.

I think there are simply two types of people who like exhaust noise - one group who wants to show off to the public on high streets, and the other who appreciates cars / great engines and sounds.

Exhaust noise is an important factor in buying a performance car - evidence points to the thousands of YouTube "sound" videos, and reviews by prominent car reviewers who consider exhaust sound in their overall scoring of a car. The difference between loud exhausts, and nice sounding exhausts is what makes it from a nuisance to something that can be appreciated.

Of course, those who see cars as simply A to B machines won't care about exhaust noise...or if the exhausts are even real and not just pretend vents at the back. Those people wouldn't get an R, I'd guess.

In my view though - the R is neither loud, nor that nice sounding except on overruns. But I feel like that about any 4-cyl engine - with or without thousands of pounds of upgrades they still sound like s**t. Even the old A45 was considered "the best sounded 4-cyl engine" but was still a raspy wasp. Nothing will replicate a 5, 6 or 8-cyl unless by faking it. 

- BMW go to lengths of putting speakers in the exhausts - like in the i8. Or play sound through the speakers inside the car (M5).

- Audi and the new diesel S4 (what the fu...) have put speakers in the exhausts as well as a soundaktor inside (I believe - need to check sources)

Both those examples are tragic, but also necessary because sound is so important for us. Good sound we associate with fast cars and thus acceleration and speed - and we all enjoy that, which might be a reason we want great exhausts and want to show it off!