roberth

NEW MK8 GOLF (CAR magazine Sept issue)

The performance makes sense especially if they are also going with the Golf R Plus with around 350/360 but 2022 seems a little off... sure R is delayed a bit after the standard car but seems way to long.

Yet more wank journalism, 'Leaps' is not a word that I would apply to the change in power.

column 3 - Golf's Gone Digital, is also a huge negative and more cost saving under the disguise of technological improvements.

I get the feeling that the quality standard of VWs  is dropping. I've tried 2 (mk7R and Polo Gti) recently and both felt cheap and flimsy compared to previous models. Maybe it the 'dieselgate' thing but I won't be buying a new VW anytime soon.

I'll still keep my 20yr old VR6.

Tbh I can't see me sticking with a golf for my next car, can see me moving on to another brand, I think the cost cutting will get more and more with this new model, and to me the next golf r won't be much of a step up in terms of performance etc (its very hard imho to make the golf r faster without treading on other models in the VW / AUDI range).

They may well shave 0.2 seconds off 0-62 - but thats not enough to make me change or go for the new one.

I can't see myself changing my 7.5 with another R, as I'm fairly sure that they aren't making an estate. So I guess if it is to be VW, the Arteon Shootingbrake (although they are horrendously expensive) or maybe a C-Class Estate. But I do quite want a Jag XF-RS

I'm with everyone else, that doesn't exactly get the juices flowing...  Mk6 / Mk7 seem like the sweet spot...

Think I'll reserve judgement until it comes out. 

1 hour ago, delboy01 said:

Looks like the real mk8 has finally been captured while out on a photo shoot.

I could live with this and am sure the GTI and R will look even better.

https://images.app.goo.gl/841T5J9w8GmyBHZ1A

Will it look £40k good though?

the pricing of the MK8 R is what really matters, as I can't see them straying to far from the Golf design.

I’m wondering where the leap forward will be.. interior electronic display/ interface aside.   Ride? Steering maybe?

To the ordinary Buyer - not fanatics as here - this looks really Slow evolution from the current Golf I’m sure.   You do have to concentrate...but it’d be obvious side by side.

As always I guess.

GTI/R always sharpened up tho. 😀

7 hours ago, NRW said:

I’m wondering where the leap forward will be.. interior electronic display/ interface aside.   Ride? Steering maybe?

To the ordinary Buyer - not fanatics as here - this looks really Slow evolution from the current Golf I’m sure.   You do have to concentrate...but it’d be obvious side by side.

As always I guess.

GTI/R always sharpened up tho. 😀

A Sat Nav system that works and displays correct speed for all roads.

i imagine there will be more Connected Car integration, a bit more self drive functionality (more cars are having self drive ability added), more emissions control / fuel economy measures such as automatic vents etc. 

I would not rule out a hybrid option for that added boost.