Tyre Buying Guidance, Tyre Deals and Tips.

3 hours ago, TonksyR said:

Getting prices for replacement tyres, most likely Goodyear F1 SS, and the tyre fitter has said he can get what I need but in AO fitment. He said this is for VW/Audi.

Looking at TyreLeader, they offer “VW”, XL, MFS. Does anyone know if I would be ok getting AO?

Whenever I have seen AO listed online, they only mention it’s for Audi fitment, not really a VW one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO is also for VW also, as NRW says.  I had several sets of (Conti) AO tyres on my mk6 GTI, including the original factory fitted set. 

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TYRES This is just an idea to help All Members, but especially those buying and running their own R.  I have no axe to grind, or preferences or links to anywhere.  I am open to this being thought

Good point, I could probably haggle the price down with this information Sent from my fingers

I finally bit the bullet and got PS4S's last week.  What a difference.  My tyres were near the limit, so much more confidence now.  They just grip and grip.  I bought them from Protyre who had a fitti

Posted Images

Thanks for the replies.

Looking at the Goodyear website, they give a breakdown of the tyre meanings, and they list AO and VW (+) separately.  May go with the VW ones, just in case.  Perhaps the VW ones have been designed slightly different to prevent a bit of Audi understeer 😉😂

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/car-manufacturers-oe/what-do-the-oe-markings-mean.html#

Does mean paying slightly more though.

24 minutes ago, TonksyR said:

Does mean paying slightly more though.

Cheers for sharing your findings Jason. Noted!  Ta.

When you faff about looking at prices,deals,discounts, offers, bargains etc I think you end up just accepting that  good Tyres for your R are going to be about £90- 100 a corner for 18” and about £150 for 19”.   Anything below can be put towards a really decent Wheel /geometry Alignment to ensure the new set up gets off to a good start, before the next big pothole. 
A saving of £100 - £200  or more, over what a Dealer would likely charge you at service/maintenance/mot  time is very welcome.  Getting the best deal for yourself may not be the lowest price. (+)😀But omg, the Tyre fitters are going to have a hard time when I visit them after my online purchase, haha

32 minutes ago, NRW said:

Cheers for sharing your findings Jason. Noted!  Ta.

When you faff about looking at prices,deals,discounts, offers, bargains etc I think you end up just accepting that  good Tyres for your R are going to be about £90- 100 a corner for 18” and about £150 for 19”.   Anything below can be put towards a really decent Wheel /geometry Alignment to ensure the new set up gets off to a good start, before the next big pothole. 
A saving of £100 - £200  or more, over what a Dealer would likely charge you at service/maintenance/mot  time is very welcome.  Getting the best deal for yourself may not be the lowest price. (+)😀

Your price ranging is pretty accurate, TyreLeader are coming in at £141.89 a corner. 

MPS4S would be cheaper, Blackcircles currently have an offer on for Michelin, 15% off (PSDEAL).  I personally found MPS4S to have a softer side wall than I was expecting (good for comfort, but not for me when pushing on when I had a different car), so will be opting for the Goodyear's this time round.

Shame my tyre fitter can't get the VW spec tyres (neither can Blackcircles, Audi fitment only). They want to charge about £20 a corner to fit tyres, and then i'll need wheel alignment as my front passenger is wearing thin on the inside.

Only found out tyre wasn't looking so good on the inside as I needed to get a puncture repair.  Silver lining in there somewhere I guess ha ha.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Current Donation Goals

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Concreteboy
      I've just become the very proud owner of a 2017 Mk7 Golf R. It's currently wearing a set of 18" Cadiz alloys, but I would like to swap them out for a set of 19" Pretorias.

I would appreciate any advice on the following:

Make of Pretorias replicas recommended?
      Which tyres to buy (best for track days?)
      Any offset required to maximise track performance
    • By Daniel43
      I still have the stock Potenza S001s on my 2017 R (18" Cadiz - covered about 5.3K miles) but do not get much in the way of steering feel/feedback. I wondered if changing the tyres would improve this or would it be down to bushes, camber angles, etc. I also find the Potenzas noisy and lacking in the fuel economy department. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • By GolfRWag
      Hey all - just had my first service at nearly 1 year/15 000 km, rotated tyres front to back and checking the tread they look pretty evenly worn in to out etc.

Tyres are Continental CSC5 235/35/19 inch on my 2018/MY19 Golf R wagon. I don't race it or overly flog it every single minute - largely sensible schlepping to work and back in traffic with occasional longer freeway/country trips. They seem to grip quite well, corner consistently at pretty high speed though they drone a bit on our notorious coarse-chip Aussie roads at times.

But the tread-wear indicators show only about 4-5 mm to go (being generous) and makes me wonder what average tyre life is like for these tyres?

Fellow R owners on here got any experience with the likely Km life you have got out of this particular model tyre?
    • By Booth11
      Tyre dressing is a regular discussion point amongst detailing enthusiasts. There are loads around but surprisingly few of them are very good. If they look good, are easy to apply etc, they tend to be lacking in longevity. And some of them are prone to slinging.

If anyone is looking for very good tyre dressing that gives a really superb finish, is extremely long lasting too, easy to apply and no sling - this one is well worth a look - Hi Shine Long Life Tyre Dressing https://www.achemshop.co.uk/product/hi-shine/

I've been using it for quite a while from when it was called Quarts Tyre Dressing. Quarts is no longer around but the same product is now available direct from the supplier 'achem' under the name Hi Shine.

Previously I've tried all sorts in a search for a dressing that combines a great finish with superior longevity. But, as said, if they delivered on one aspect, they disappointed on the other. So I kept returning to trusty Meguiars Endurance gel which is good but not very long lasting - 2 weeks absolute tops. Then Hi Shine came onto my radar.
      It's a solvent based formula, containing silicone, but thinner than most other silicone dressings, so it applies very easily - goes on more like a water based gel, but with the lovely finish and repellency you get with silicone formulas. And it lasts and lasts and lasts - product info states durability is 2-3 weeks but I would say more like up to 4 weeks, which is good for a tyre dressing. And no sling at all. Despite its slightly misleading name, it's actually incredibly versatile in terms of finish and can be anything from matt/satin - satin - gloss depending on how you apply it and how many coats you put on. For a matt finish, give a thorough wipe over after each application. For a satin finish, give a light wipe over each application, and for a shine, skip the wipe down altogether. Whatever finish you prefer one coat gives a great finish, two coats even better.

I apply it using a foam pad and then wipe down lightly afterwards with an old microfibre, as I prefer a satin finish opposed to hi-shine. Usually I do two coats, time permitting. Here's how it looks:

On Golf R

On previous GTI

And even nearly 5 weeks after application, on a very dirty car, the dressing (though diminishing) is still evident, despite the wheels being subject to some very muddy sites and conditions

achem do quite a few other car products too and I have also used their Snow Storm snow foam which was very good. My preferred one is still Valet Pro Advanced but the achem one did a good job. Got pics of it on a car if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

Anyway, what are other people's go-to tyre dressings?
    • By Wagon R
      It seems like Goodyear are going all out to tackle the might of Michelin, who have been taking all the plaudits for performance summer tyres recently. They're releasing no less than 4 new tyres in short order.

The Eagle F1 SuperSport comes in 3 tiers (Road, Track & Race focused), and the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 completes the new range.

SuperSport Details: https://paultan.org/2018/12/13/goodyear-eagle-f1-supersport-three-tier-uuhp-tyre/
      Asymmetric 5: https://paultan.org/2018/12/07/goodyear-eagle-asymmetric-5-new-uhp-tyre-shown/

As a longtime Eagle F1 user, I can't wait to read the comparison reviews. 🤗