Tyre Buying Guidance, Tyre Deals and Tips.

16 hours ago, NRW said:

Michelin Pilot Sport 5 against rivals….

Feel like they did the Goodyears 'dirty' at the end there lol. The Michelin was all fresh and clean looking and. the Goodyear covered in dust/dirt. I like the look of both! Currently have the Contis on mine but can't wait to try out some of these in the near future 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TYRES This is just an idea to help All Members, but especially those buying and running their own R.  I have no axe to grind, or preferences or links to anywhere.  I am open to this being thought

Good point, I could probably haggle the price down with this information Sent from my fingers

I finally bit the bullet and got PS4S's last week.  What a difference.  My tyres were near the limit, so much more confidence now.  They just grip and grip.  I bought them from Protyre who had a fitti

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rajaman said:

Costco have got a promo on Michellin tyres atm, £50 off 2 and £100 off if you buy 4. 

They're doing the PS4s for £154.42 in a 235/35/19, +£8.40 fitting and balancing so works out to just over £550 for a set of 4.

Good find!  There seems a dearth of deals n offers at present.  And prices have jumped recently too😳

• 3 weeks later...

I think i have read most of the replies on this thread and i am more confused than ever.

I am more interested in comfort and tyre wear as a result of getting older.

I am a few thousand miles away from changing but at the moment i am edging towards Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5.

Edited by MJC1216
1 hour ago, MJC1216 said:

I think i have read most of the replies on this thread and i am more confused than ever.

I am more interested in comfort and tyre wear as a result of getting older.

I am a few thousand miles away from changing but at the moment i am edging towards Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5.

I run the AS5 on the R (235/40/18) & previously on my mk7 GTi  find them very comfortable with low noise personally don’t think you can go wrong with them. 

10 hours ago, Stobsie said:

I run the AS5 on the R (235/40/18) & previously on my mk7 GTi  find them very comfortable with low noise personally don’t think you can go wrong with them. 

Thanks for the feedback

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Current Donation Goals

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Xandermeier
      Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for a good tyre fitter. Obvious concern is my Prets getting damaged so want to avoid that

I'm based near Loughborough so ideally looking for something close(ish) if possible but also happy to travel for someone good.

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks in advance. 
    • By Concreteboy
      I've just become the very proud owner of a 2017 Mk7 Golf R. It's currently wearing a set of 18" Cadiz alloys, but I would like to swap them out for a set of 19" Pretorias.

I would appreciate any advice on the following:

Make of Pretorias replicas recommended?
      Which tyres to buy (best for track days?)
      Any offset required to maximise track performance
    • By Daniel43
      I still have the stock Potenza S001s on my 2017 R (18" Cadiz - covered about 5.3K miles) but do not get much in the way of steering feel/feedback. I wondered if changing the tyres would improve this or would it be down to bushes, camber angles, etc. I also find the Potenzas noisy and lacking in the fuel economy department. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • By GolfRWag
      Hey all - just had my first service at nearly 1 year/15 000 km, rotated tyres front to back and checking the tread they look pretty evenly worn in to out etc.

Tyres are Continental CSC5 235/35/19 inch on my 2018/MY19 Golf R wagon. I don't race it or overly flog it every single minute - largely sensible schlepping to work and back in traffic with occasional longer freeway/country trips. They seem to grip quite well, corner consistently at pretty high speed though they drone a bit on our notorious coarse-chip Aussie roads at times.

But the tread-wear indicators show only about 4-5 mm to go (being generous) and makes me wonder what average tyre life is like for these tyres?

Fellow R owners on here got any experience with the likely Km life you have got out of this particular model tyre?
    • By Booth11
      Tyre dressing is a regular discussion point amongst detailing enthusiasts. There are loads around but surprisingly few of them are very good. If they look good, are easy to apply etc, they tend to be lacking in longevity. And some of them are prone to slinging.

If anyone is looking for very good tyre dressing that gives a really superb finish, is extremely long lasting too, easy to apply and no sling - this one is well worth a look - Hi Shine Long Life Tyre Dressing https://www.achemshop.co.uk/product/hi-shine/

I've been using it for quite a while from when it was called Quarts Tyre Dressing. Quarts is no longer around but the same product is now available direct from the supplier 'achem' under the name Hi Shine.

Previously I've tried all sorts in a search for a dressing that combines a great finish with superior longevity. But, as said, if they delivered on one aspect, they disappointed on the other. So I kept returning to trusty Meguiars Endurance gel which is good but not very long lasting - 2 weeks absolute tops. Then Hi Shine came onto my radar.
      It's a solvent based formula, containing silicone, but thinner than most other silicone dressings, so it applies very easily - goes on more like a water based gel, but with the lovely finish and repellency you get with silicone formulas. And it lasts and lasts and lasts - product info states durability is 2-3 weeks but I would say more like up to 4 weeks, which is good for a tyre dressing. And no sling at all. Despite its slightly misleading name, it's actually incredibly versatile in terms of finish and can be anything from matt/satin - satin - gloss depending on how you apply it and how many coats you put on. For a matt finish, give a thorough wipe over after each application. For a satin finish, give a light wipe over each application, and for a shine, skip the wipe down altogether. Whatever finish you prefer one coat gives a great finish, two coats even better.

I apply it using a foam pad and then wipe down lightly afterwards with an old microfibre, as I prefer a satin finish opposed to hi-shine. Usually I do two coats, time permitting. Here's how it looks:

On Golf R

On previous GTI

And even nearly 5 weeks after application, on a very dirty car, the dressing (though diminishing) is still evident, despite the wheels being subject to some very muddy sites and conditions

achem do quite a few other car products too and I have also used their Snow Storm snow foam which was very good. My preferred one is still Valet Pro Advanced but the achem one did a good job. Got pics of it on a car if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

Anyway, what are other people's go-to tyre dressings?