Tyre Buying Guidance, Tyre Deals and Tips.

NRW

6 hours ago, holy_piranha said:

As a new member (who's VERY late to this thread!), some great info & advice from the OP and lots of others - nice one! Like many others, I'm a huge fan of Michelin PS4Ss and am really looking forward to wearing the current set out to replace them with PS5s - clearly, more 'spirited' driving is in order!

Hi Rob.  Now a to be Test Pilot for PS5S.   We’ll be talking about little else when they come😂.

Hello & welcome, I seem to have missed your earliest posts. 

Look forward to your posts on this and more. 👍

8 hours ago, holy_piranha said:

As a new member (who's VERY late to this thread!), some great info & advice from the OP and lots of others - nice one! Like many others, I'm a huge fan of Michelin PS4Ss and am really looking forward to wearing the current set out to replace them with PS5s - clearly, more 'spirited' driving is in order!

Welcome along @holy_piranha.  So many good tyre choices atm.  The PS4S are a hard act to follow but the PS5s look to be a winner.  When mine (currently on factory fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports) are up for changing most likely later this year, it’s going to be a tough choice to make probably between PS5s and Conti Sport Contact 7s.  Then there might be a PS5S?  

6 hours ago, NRW said:

Hi Rob.  Now a to be Test Pilot for PS5S.   We’ll be talking about little else when they come😂.

Hello & welcome, I seem to have missed your earliest posts. 

Look forward to your posts on this and more. 👍

Maybe I could be the poor man's 'Maverick'?! A more portly, less athletic version of Tom Cruise, but in a Golf (with a bit of pasty on my t-shirt) 😄

Thanks for the welcome - much appreciated 👊

5 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Welcome along @holy_piranha.  So many good tyre choices atm.  The PS4S are a hard act to follow but the PS5s look to be a winner.  When mine (currently on factory fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports) are up for changing most likely later this year, it’s going to be a tough choice to make probably between PS5s and Conti Sport Contact 7s.  Then there might be a PS5S?  

Cheers, @Booth11 👊. You definitely ain't wrong - arguably, never before has there been so many genuinely awesome UHP tyres. I do sometimes fear that my love and respect for Michelin's might mean that I don't try an alternative that I could be super happy with. For example, as you say, Sport Contact 7s - JB @ Tyre Reviews loves these!

Its worth considering tyre weights too, as these differ by a few kg amongst the brands, which all adds to the way the car handles .

I cant find any weights for the PS5 or ASYM 6 at the minute 

Tyre size: 235 35 19
GY Asymmetric 5 - 9.58kg
Conti 5P FR AO - 9.8kg
Pirelli P Zero RO1 - 9.87kg
Michelin PSS - 9.96kg
Hankook Ventus V12 evo 2 - 10,02kg
Pirelli P Zero: - 10.2kg
Michelin PS4S - 10,22kg
Falken Azenis 10.43kg
Hankook S1 Evo 2 - 11.00kg
Conti 6 FR XL - 13.430kg

• 2 months later...

Michelin have an Autumn cashback running until the end of November, up to £100 cash-back.   Although they still have 4mm+ left, they are worn on the edges, so I've been thinking about replacing the original (lasted 4 years thanks to running winter wheels) Conti 5Ps.  Better to replace now and for us to get the benefit than closer to when we change the car.

My local preferred tyre place was more expensive than Blackcircles, but take the £100 off  and they were £60 a set cheaper, so £562 all in or £140 a tyre which I think is a bit of a bargain.   Very early days, but there is a noticeable difference in comfort and particular road noise, some of that will be down to worn vs new tyres, but I don't ever remember feeling such a difference with new tyres (I normally replace like for like).

They were fitted on Tuesday and Michelin have already confirmed that the cash-back will be paid. 

As you can see, the old tyres were looking a bit sorry for themselves around the edge.

IMG_6283.thumb.jpeg.ff9a5b967eecaebde4b4444ca67062dc.jpeg

Much better

IMG_6285.thumb.jpeg.789c9d82bfdd4d2066ea91f420f8f2a2.jpeg

Car is due a clean this weekend....and looking at the pictures I might treat it to a hub upgrade, or just replace the rear discs as they don't look great....

My Golf R has the standard Bridgestone Potenzas on and they’re not great. Noisier and can feel the road surface more than the Michelin PS4s I had on my GTI. Fuel consumption seems poor as well. Granted, some of that is the different cars, the R being heavier is a likely factor. I am potentially switch to 19 inch wheels so will get some Michelin PS4S. 

It’s not you or the car

S005 are good in communication and handling

but they are very noisy and harsh riding

even at very low pressure

I switched to PS5 and felt like I switched

from a Subaru to a Golf

P.S. I’d stay 18” if harshness bothers you

On 07/10/2022 at 19:29, Kevmoz said:

I’ve just ordered some Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 6 to replace my very close to the limit Michelin pilot sport 4’s at Kwik Fit. With discount code a shade under £350 including tracking.

I know it is early days but how are you finding these tyres compared to the MPS4S?

Had GY Asy 3 on my Leon CR and 5's on my R32 but went to MPS4S on the RS4, rated all 3 but not sure Michelins are really worth the premium. 

I am torn between the GY Asy 6 and the Conti's SP7's.

With codes I can find the below are per tyre fitted for 235/35R19's

MPS4S and PS5's work out £158.4

Conti SP7's £142.91

GY Asy 6 £130.45