highlander

Retrofit Rear View Camera

With the help of the kind people of this forum, i was able to retro fit a rearview emblem camera to my MK7 Golf R.

I was installing the HELIX sub so i figured that i might as well install the RVC (rear view camera). 

Everything hooked up and working, apart from rear view cam video display.

The camera pops out when in reverse but no video comes to screen.

I ordered an OBD11 and enabled rear view camera.  

Still Nothing!

Any suggestions?

Does the screen go blank when you engage reverse or screen does not do anything? If screen goes blank then the 5F head unit coding is OK and the video connection is a likely cause of the problem.  If the screen doesn't change then probably its the coding. When I had the low line RVC I didn't code Module 10 and camera worked OK.

3 hours ago, slider09 said:

There are two modules that need coding (parking assist and the infotainment), sounds like you have only enabled one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, stonefish said:

Does the screen go blank when you engage reverse or screen does not do anything? If screen goes blank then the 5F head unit coding is OK and the video connection is a likely cause of the problem.  If the screen doesn't change then probably its the coding. When I had the low line RVC I didn't code Module 10 and camera worked OK.

I Did the coding on the infotainment (byte 19) and the coding in parking assist.

Yes the screen changes to show the car positioned vertically on the lower left side of the screen but the video feed is not showing up.

This car originally had "park pilot" where the screen showed the car horizontally and had lines that moved with the steering wheel.

The camera does pop out as it should, but blank screen where video should be.

I will double check my video feed to the blue plug.

My infotainment module is the basic  3Q0035820A   <--- i was told by camera supplier that this would not be a problem.  Now i am questioning it.

I've not done any upgrades yet on the sound system but I'm looking to get the audison upgrade kit once I've sorted the media system upgrade. Mines the very basic comp media mib 1, 5.8 inch screen (35820A). Been watching Ebay for the mib 2, 8 inch glass screen version. There is a few on there but I want to be certain as possible not to get a blacklisted one.

Edited by Atomic_bog_roll
Spelling

19 hours ago, Daveleach said:

Does your helix work ok?

what Version is it and what headunit version do you have?

Helix works quite good.   I am an audio enthusiast so i thought i wouldn't like it but it gives just the right amount of low's to match the factory spkrs.

No annoying popping.

I don't know anything about versions because i ordered it on ebay when i was drunk.

it says 000051419B

I got a deal on it.

I bought the camera to fire in while the interior was out.   Now i need to figure out what to replace to get the camera working.

Sometimes i think it would be easier just to jack up the bonnet and put a new car under it 😡

Yep.

Then you need to code the factory head unit.   Which is a fancy way of saying "turn on the rear view camera feature"

You can do this with a vagcomm cable and vcds software and sit in your car with your laptop and carefully navigate through dangerous binary code and enable the right bits to enable your retrofit camera.

Or.... you can press the easy button and buy an OBDELEVEN from Lithuania.  Then click on the cool photo and magically enable your camera.