Does it have to be when of legal age to drive?

2nd car I had was when I was 14 years old.  I seemed to think I'd be capable of restoring a yellow TR7,  spent all my summer holiday work money on it.

never restored it, drove it up and down my parents drive until it got scrapped.

and Ive been wasting money on cars ever since.

9 minutes ago, Dollyman said:

The Golf R of 1973, a brand new Triumph Dolomite Sprint.

Fabulous car, in the day.  Trailblazer too.    ??  First full production 16V OHC engine IIRC. (Red face if I didn’t) 

They look so small and narrow if you see on OTR.   [But a current Golf R Estate is significantly bigger than a Triumph 2500 Estate of the same era ( I know this coz I Lost an argument with Lovely wife when considering a Wagon)) haha. ]

Cavalier Sri, I loved that car, regardless of whether you pottered around or absolutely thrashed it, it would still return 440 miles to a tank full, and it was pretty quick for its age, would easily do 140mph (not on a public road I hasten to add !)

1493725d618830a16b637dc07190558a.thumb.jpg.d3c86f030ba67abc7d3161d56a0ee14f.jpg

1 hour ago, Dollyman said:

The Golf R of 1973, a brand new Triumph Dolomite Sprint.

Thanks for sharing - what a Car! My father had one of these for a couple of years, very quick in it's day and recall endless traffic light races. Especially recall how he/we loved spanking the Jags of the day away from lights.

Overdrive in 3rd and 4th, it was effectively a six speed box.

Oh and recall it needed a new Camshaft ( @NRW confirming 16VOHC)  at one point which done per the manual was engine out job ... not dad.. There was a £hooky fix of drilling a hole in it's nose, underneath the badge and extracting/inserting through there!

J.

A 1990 Sierra 1.6 lx 🤬

Got done over by a dodgy garage and had bought Orion Ghia I but it had been in a shunt and should have been scrapped!!

Managed to get a different car off them at a discount but what a pile it was.

It was only 4 years old and i went for the newest car I could afford 🤔

I've learned a lot since lol 😂

1969 Plymouth Valiant.  It was less than a year old when I bought it.  Poverty model that had been special-ordered, possibly for use as a tow vehicle?  Factory equipped with heavy-duty suspension, oversized wheels/tires, quick-ratio non-power steering, larger of the two "slant-six" engines, three-on-the-tree, and non-power front disc brakes (extremely rare option on an economy American car at the time).  I taught myself to double-clutch into non-synchronized first noiselessly on the move in that car and also broke the shift linkage :smiley:.  Wish the first owner had sprung for four-on-the-floor, another rare option on a six at the time.  The car was a sleeper, and I enjoyed it a lot.  We parted when I was shipped overseas in the service.   

11 hours ago, NRW said:

Fabulous car, in the day.  Trailblazer too.    ??  First full production 16V OHC engine IIRC. (Red face if I didn’t) 

They look so small and narrow if you see on OTR.   [But a current Golf R Estate is significantly bigger than a Triumph 2500 Estate of the same era ( I know this coz I Lost an argument with Lovely wife when considering a Wagon)) haha. ]

Spot on NRW, 16 valve but single cam, engine won a design centre award.  I believe it was also one of the first British mass produced cars to have alloys as standard.  It looks miniscule now compared to modern small cars.

10 hours ago, Jens0n said:

Thanks for sharing - what a Car! My father had one of these for a couple of years, very quick in it's day and recall endless traffic light races. Especially recall how he/we loved spanking the Jags of the day away from lights.

Overdrive in 3rd and 4th, it was effectively a six speed box.

Oh and recall it needed a new Camshaft ( @NRW confirming 16VOHC)  at one point which done per the manual was engine out job ... not dad.. There was a £hooky fix of drilling a hole in it's nose, underneath the badge and extracting/inserting through there!

The picture is not my original car but the one I've had for the last 23 years.  Never restored and 37,000 on the clock in 46 years, mine is a first week production car and in true BL fashion overdrive wasn't ready so it's a standard 4 speeder.