Raiden

Focus RS MK3 (a bag of s***)

Does any know much about the engines on these?  I know they had that recall on the head gasket but I keep seeing owners online or on youtube these cars still having issues with the engines.  Some poor guy on the RS forum has had his 17 plate a month which he bought with the mountune kit already on it and cylinder 3 has gone and Ford say it needs a new engine and won't cover it under warranty.  Another youtuber who has had his car from new has this misfire issue and Ford blamed the mountune intake even tho the car isn't mapped but in the end the owner sold the car with the issue.  And the list is endless but I just don't get how Ford have made this car so bad and yet they still demand big money used.  I was thinking maybe getting one in the near future but they just seemed to be made of chocolate.  Golf R's, S3's and Gti's I can count on one hand how many have had problems.  I'm just thinking will the next RS be just as poor

Yeah the lump they use isn't very good at all...... I wouldn't touch one. The block is designed wrong, not sure what can be done about that really.

1 minute ago, BillTheButcher said:

Also, I thought Mountune upgrades left the Ford warranty intact...

Ford Dealership pushed the Mountune upgrade  for 2017 Fiesta ST3  to my Lovely Wife at point of purchase.  Upgrade to 215bhp from 180 (197 on .overboost) for £600 fitted.  This proved very popular with lots of buyers.

Very  tempting as did not interfere in any way with Manufacturer warranty.  Wife declined as she felt the standard car was (still is) adequate for her purposes.   Didn’t think the same applies to the RS Focus Mountune upgrades tho. 🤔

Friend of mine has a mountune 375 Focus RS, bought new but had the MT upgrade done afterwards. His had to have a new head fitted due to the well documented head gasket failures and has to go back again as new head gasket is leaking, something about the sealant or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just think its disgraceful Ford have told this guy sorry warranty is void even tho they reckon MT stuff is still covered by warranty.  Then the guy on youtube Ford just wiped there hands of it because at first they couldn't fix the fault and then later blamed MT for it even its apparently warranty approved and they fitted the intake  

2 hours ago, BobbyT said:

Yeah the lump they use isn't very good at all...... I wouldn't touch one. The block is designed wrong, not sure what can be done about that really.

Yeah a thicker head gasket isn't going to fix the problem. They used an open deck design on a car running quite a bit of boost which was a recipe for disaster. 

I remember watching a video on YouTube by an engineering firm not long after the Mk3 RS was released and they as much as predicted the failures 

"The open deck design is for ease of manufacturing and not good for high cylinder pressures."

I nearly bought one last year but my wife then declared she needed an automatic and since we now share a car it ruled that idea out. I'm glad it worked out that way because I wouldn't touch one now either with the number of issues I've read about....

I was seriously considering buying one when they first came out, but four things stopped me:

1  My innate caution whenever untested new technology is introduced.  I was going to wait 12 months to see how they went (quite a good call as it turned out)

2  Very firm suspension when I finally persuaded an owner to take me for a ride - to the point that I just started laughing when he switched it to sport suspension (he admitted that he would only ever use the sport setting on a billiard smooth race track)

3  All local dealers refused to take me for a ride in one, and there was no way they were ever going to let me actually drive one.  I have never, ever purchased a car that I couldn't drive before handing over the money.  They kept trying to tell me they could sell all they could get without needing to offer test drives at all.  This was quite untrue, some new cars were still sitting at dealers 12 months after they stopped making them (obviously the word had got out about their reliability issues).

4  I sat way too high and couldn't get properly comfortable (even hit my head getting in).

It did go quite well and cornered hard, but the Golf R suits me way, way better (and the wagon body is just a bonus).   Zero regrets :)