R-HB

WLTP Car?

Hi,

sorry for the newbie question. I have tried the search facility, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

My car was registered on 01/09/2018, so would this make it a pre WLTP car @ 310bhp?

thanks H.

WLTP version was introduced at the beginning of Sept 18 apparently, so I guess it depends on when the car was built....

If you put the reg number into an insurance comparison site like confused.com or comparethemarket it usually tells you whether it's 300 or 310, for example my wltp car on compare the market comes up as 2019 Volkswagen Golf R 4MOTION Tsi 300, 1984CC Petrol, 5DR, Auto

WLTP may have been introduced in Sept 2018, but VW did not fulfil orders of the WLTP 300ps cars until the Approval was granted and implemented in March 2019. That’s how suckers like me waited 10 months from Order to Delivery. 😀

9 minutes ago, NRW said:

WLTP may have been introduced in Sept 2018, but VW did not fulfil orders of the WLTP 300ps cars until the Approval was granted and implemented in March 2019. That’s how suckers like me waited 10 months from Order to Delivery. 😀

And me ... 10 long months

1 hour ago, R-HB said:

Hi,

sorry for the newbie question. I have tried the search facility, but couldn't find a definitive answer.

My car was registered on 01/09/2018, so would this make it a pre WLTP car @ 310bhp?

thanks H.

That will certainly be pre WLTP - basically if your registration date is pre 2019, it will not be an WLTP model.....

It will be the full fat, unfettered, raw, delightfully dirty, non particulate filter model - with all the exhaust raunchyness and noticeably higher top end power...and if that is not enough for you, ya also get a nicer frameless rear view mirror :D

Thanks guys, I just revisited my HPI report, and its state the BHP as 305.7

13 minutes ago, blower said:

That will certainly be pre WLTP - basically if your registration date is pre 2019, it will not be an WLTP model.....

It will be the full fat, unfettered, raw, delightfully dirty, non particulate filter model - with all the exhaust raunchyness and noticeably higher top end power...and if that is not enough for you, ya also get a nicer frameless rear view mirror :D

Must be the full fat version :cool:

So am I right in thinking that the WLTP car have dirty tips then?

Are the chrome tips removable on pre WLTP cars, so making them easier to clean?

If the post-WLTP car has GPFs the exhaust tips seem to remain cleaner for much longer.  Note that post-WLTP cars in some markets (eg Oz) don't have the GPFs, so presumably the tips will get dirty quickly.

Some pre-WLTP exhaust tips are just pushed on so are easy to remove, but some are not and are much difficult to remove (my pre-WLTP Mk 7.5 wagon tips are spot-welded on). 

I don't remember reading of anyone that regularly removes their tips just for cleaning, in fact I suspect it would be more work than just cleaning them in situ.  Maybe every now and then to do a deep clean & polish, but not every week or two like I clean mine.

1 hour ago, R-HB said:

So am I right in thinking that the WLTP car have dirty tips then?

Are the chrome tips removable on pre WLTP cars, so making them easier to clean?

Advice Simply put Howard, Many R owners obsess about cleanliness off their tips.  It can be a pain to remove them, if welded on.  Depends on how much they irk you as to how far you want to go.  

They are  Straightforward to clean in situ unless seriously filthy and minging.  

If yours are clean keep them that way by regular  washing, drying, polishing.  

If yours are filthy. Get them clean - by removing if necessary/possible and using Oven Cleaner (yes, really, done on here ). Elbow grease, patience and perseverance is required.  Mothers polish is good and not £ dear.  Zillions of alternatives are available.

Keep them clean after by regular washing and polishing.

Some Owners don’t bother. Some paint them black, or fit alternative tips.

(ps.  I used to seriously obsess about the twin tips on my previous GTI. Neighbours thought I was crazy - hanging out of my wheelchair - old washing up bowl undrneath the tip, washing, drying, polishing......

it becomes a pride/ honour thing if you let it.!!  Just choose what level of fanatic you are most comfortable with then .

Sold my 70 month old GTI with sparkling exhaust tips tho.  Hope the next owner appreciated it.) 👍

45 minutes ago, NRW said:

Advice Simply put Howard, Many R owners obsess about cleanliness off their tips.  It can be a pain to remove them, if welded on.  Depends on how much they irk you as to how far you want to go.  

They are  Straightforward to clean in situ unless seriously filthy and minging.  

If yours are clean keep them that way by regular  washing, drying, polishing.  

If yours are filthy. Get them clean - by removing if necessary/possible and using Oven Cleaner (yes, really, done on here ). Elbow grease, patience and perseverance is required.  Mothers polish is good and not £ dear.  Zillions of alternatives are available.

Keep them clean after by regular washing and polishing.

Some Owners don’t bother. Some paint them black, or fit alternative tips.

(ps.  I used to seriously obsess about the twin tips on my previous GTI. Neighbours thought I was crazy - hanging out of my wheelchair - old washing up bowl undrneath the tip, washing, drying, polishing......

it becomes a pride/ honour thing if you let it.!!  Just choose what level of fanatic you are most comfortable with then .

Sold my 70 month old GTI with sparkling exhaust tips tho.  Hope the next owner appreciated it.) 👍

The previous owner used to have his cars washed by 'others'  as he put it.;)

I couldn't help but notice that the exhaust tips were extremely dirty. So it will be on the 'to do' list once i pick the car up next week. 

The current arsenal of cleaning products in the garage should be able to get them looking like new! Once clean they will a have a couple of coats of, Carbon Collective  - Ceramic Platinum Wheel protection applied.