Shakeel

Manual or DSG?

Hi guys, I bought a Night Blue, 3 door DSG model with 15k miles about 3 weeks ago and was wondering if I should have gone for a manual.  I’m loving the car to bits truth be known as it feels like you get the best of both worlds with the full on auto and manual effect with the paddles.  I’ve always had 3 pedals in my hot hatches so this is new to me, just wondered what the general opinion was.  

Should I have bought the manual or am I on the money with DSG.

P.S  I’ll get some pics sorted out soon

DSG vote from me.  Such an innovation, and suits an R so well standard in 99% of situations.   Retune can make it much better I hear from others.  A Manual transmission changes when You make it. An advantage in the 1% imo.

I have the manual, and although I do love it I would go for the DSG next time.

Esp. as the clutch is made of cheese on the R, so even with standard power it can be too much and start slipping.

If you love the car, dont go thinking what might have been. Just enjoy it. :) 

You are asking a question which only YOU can answer. I’m assuming you test drove both before buying?

My opinion is, DSG all day long. The DSG box suits the car so much. This is my first auto / DSG box in nearly 30 years of driving and I don’t miss driving a manual one bit.

I drive a lot in a city, DSG box is so easy in these scenarios. Plus, the DSG is quicker than a manual.

Personal preference, both great cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good points Petez, NRW & Slider.  In fairness I feel that I’m getting 2 for 1 with the DSG as you can go auto or switch to the paddleshift, by no means disappointed just wondered if the manual was better especially since I just traded a Megane 265 Cup redbull edition against it which was a riot but just so uncomfortable because of the cup chassis.  The golf ticks more boxes, goes quicker and does it in comfort.  If the clutch in the manual is made from cheese then I’m glad I’ve chosen the DSG with it’s lightning quick gear changes

I’ve got a manual and see both transmission types as having merits.

DSG is the sensible ‘option’ because it’s slick, robust and integrates well with the onboard tech.

For me, it’s a bit too ‘grown up’ and I was looking for the hooligan experience of classic hot hatches. The box isn’t as snickerty as Renaultsport versions however, so DSG was probably a good call for yourself.

I had a manual 7R for a year before deciding to swap to a DSG 7R.

Personally I prefer the DSG, it feels quicker in stock form and you get some benefits like dsg bangs and launch control.

I do miss my manual on country lanes but 99% of the time DSG suits me and the car IMO.

I do love a manual for the sense of control , and nothing beats the feeling of nailing a gear change when pressing on. 

But I went DSG because I don't live near traffic-free, sweeping roads or great B-roads that I can make good use of a manual. City, town, motorway and traffic driving are 90% of my journeys and constantly pressing a clutch didn't appeal. DSG manual mode won't satisfy like a proper manual car would, but it lets you control power delivery at least + you get a pop on fast upshifts, or even a cheeky fart if the car is pre-OPF.

Also, and this is not personal experience just what I've read online / reviews - the GTI / R aren't the best manual experience. A Civic Type R (if you can forgive its looks) or Focus ST / RS seem to be the most highly rated manual gearboxes. Or the Megane RS.

I'm a manual guy myself, but there's no bad choice here.  Sounds like you're enjoying the car, which means you made a good decision.  No need to question your judgment. 

Listening to you guys I think I have made the right choice with DSG, along with the fact that I am loving the way it drives.  I took it out a couple of days ago on a 140 mile drive and loved every minute of it.  I drove a couple of other hot hatches and the R just does everything better with a quality feel to it along with a beautiful finish and just to top it off, it’s no slouch either