LUG

Remote Start/Heating etc

So recently when asking a dealer to find me a car with a heated windscreen the salesman still tried to push and sell me another’s car(Golf R) they had stating

“did you know with the CarApp you can turn your heating on remotely so you car is warm when you get in”

I wasn’t aware of this as I don’t own an R so I asked how does this work without the engine being on? I didn’t think it was legal to have remote start in the UK?

He couldn’t answer me and I’m still none the wiser. 

So so what’s the deal with remote access to the R from the VW CarApp? What can you do and not do?

So recently when asking a dealer to find me a car with a heater windscreen the salesman still tried to push and sell me another’s car they had without stating

“did you know with the CarApp you can turn your heating on remotely so you car is warm when you get in”

I wasn’t aware of this as I don’t own an R  so I asked how does this work without the engineer being on? I didn’t think it was legal to have remote start in the UK?

he couldn’t answer me and I’m still none the wiser. 

So so what’s the deal with remote access to the R from the VW CarApp? What can you do and not?
I think you can turn on heating g remotely on a GTE as long as it is plugged in

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

I think you can turn on heating g remotely on a GTE as long as it is plugged in

It was an R he was trying to sell me, stating this was an option i.e don't worry about Heated Windscreen at 5am in the morning you can do this instead.

Edited my original post so much wrong with the autocorrect wording on my phone lol

It was an R he was trying to sell me, stating this was an option i.e don't worry about Heated Windscreen at 5am in the morning you can do this instead.

Edited my original post so much wrong with the autocorrect wording on my phone lol
Might be one thing worth having CarNet for then, or the salesman was talking out of his arse...

I am thinking the latter Dave as when I questioned him on the heater being remotely activated without starting the engine he couldn't elaborate. 

Anyone got the App or have this option?

4 minutes ago, jrw said:

This will be the GTE and salesman not having a clue what he is on about.

Thought as much, I just couldn't pull him up on his bullshit because I didn't know myself and although I didn't believe him I was secretly hoping this was true and you could do this.

Nope, I can’t turn the heated anything on remotely.  Is this applicable to Tiguan/Arteon?.

Assuming I’m talking about the right thing....I can check on iPad, phone or watch if Car is locked, can remotely flash lights, sound horn - to locate in car park (like I’d forget where I parked my beautiful R).   See if bonnet, boot closed.  I can see how much range I’ve got in the fuel tank, doors closed, windows closed, total miles, miles to service, last joirney distance, mpg.  See map location and distance away. 

I haven’t spent much time fiddling with this so only have the basics.  You can see a function to be notified of exceeding a speed you set, but I turned this off.  

Bit of a gadget with some uses.  Ok. Just.

Thought as much, I just couldn't pull him up on his bullshit because I didn't know myself and although I didn't believe him I was secretly hoping this was true and you could do this.
Next time you are there just ask him to demonstrate it and if it works you will order a brand new R on the spot... then watch him try

3 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Next time you are there just ask him to demonstrate it and if it works you will order a brand new R on the spot... then watch him try emoji1787.png

I’ve since found this on the VW site:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/electric-hybrid-cars/remote-heating

and yes it refers to electric/hybrid cars as you first thought.

Salesman didn’t know what he was talking about or trying to baffle me with bullshit again lol

I’ve since found this on the VW site:

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/electric-hybrid-cars/remote-heating

and yes it refers to electric/hybrid cars as you first thought.

Salesman didn’t know what he was talking about or trying to baffle me with bullshit again lol

Not the first time and definitely not the last, probably genuinely clueless rather than bullshit...

yer, I use to set it 15mins before you were ready to leave and then the front screen and inside was nice a warm...

Also I've got a New Volvo V90 and that also has this function, but you can control everything using your phone app ( its petrol also ) Great feature!👍