LUG

2 Weeks After Purchase

Just a few personal observations since purchase. Very much enjoying the car even if it sounds like I am whinging on some points.

Things I like or didn't know about:

• ACC is useful.
  • Auto braking (may) have saved my butt. A car emergency stopped in front of me, I was going to hit the break but it beat me to it. I think my reactions would of surficed but hey ho it worked.
  • When the above incident occurred my seat belt tensioned up and held me in my seat (I didn't know about this) pretty cool.
  • I found a little hidden tray/compartment under the front seats (didnt know about these 😄)
  • Im fully converted to DSG, Auto Hold and no Clutch pedal. Even if I do still rest my hand on the gearstick and sometimes try and dip the clutch when approaching a junction to change gears 😃
  • The illuminations inside and out of the car at night is nice 😋
  • Rain sensor wipers work really well.
  • I love driving it :D 

Things I dislike OR have now noticed:

• Throttle response/acceleration is delayed in D even with race mode on, I find I switch to S quite a lot. 
  • S can hover at hi-revs too long, the balance between wanting immediate acceleration/throttle response and not driving like an idiot has led me to using the paddles more than I thought I would.
  • Moving on to paddles they are a little too close to the steering wheel and although I don't want some massive sports paddles I might try find some understated bigger ones with a more natural distance from the steering wheel to tap (any suggestions?)
  • Stop-Start and me haven fallen out, just stay the f**k OFF!!! 🤬😂
  • Navigation maps from Google/Waze not showing in Digital cockpit is annoying. As is other AppleCar play features not showing there, like current song/track info.
  • Navigation enlarged map settings doesn't persist between journeys as with many other settings, the car forgets them next time you start the car, auto-stop/start setting being another.
  • I have read threads before about this but I am wondering if my climate windscreen is effecting my mobile phone 4g coverage as there have been too many times I've had poor to no connection at all.
  • The soundaktor volume is overkill at times, especially when driving relatively conservative yet it makes out your accelerating harshly or doing 100.
  • Rear view seems pretty poor, I am not sure if this is compacted by the fact I have tinted back windows but my rear view awareness in this car seems limited in comparison to other cars I've had maybe this is just me?

Regards the car & me:

• Found a few minor scratches here and there I didn't see on pickup, I wonder if the dealer masked them somehow or I was just buyer blind? They could be fresh but Ive been extra careful with parking spots and such. I mean to get these looked at by someone.
  • I don't know whether I have just got used to the speed & power but today it seemed a little sluggish, probably just the throttle response though as when the pedal goes past such a point it goes from acceleration to warp speed 😂
  • I have found out I can't park! literally, I can't parallel park!! Gaps I would have normally chucked my old car in to at speed I won't even attempt in fear of scratching my alloys or making a fool of myself with 3-4 attempts 😂
  • I don't want passengers, they dirty my carpets and scuff my seats & door panels, just walk will you or get your own Golf R :D 
  • 5Door aint so bad, but I was in traffic next to a Lapiz Blue 3DR today and was a little jealous.
  • I can't stop dropping by the jet wash, spent a fortune and it doesnt even do a great job. I need to learn to detail my car, but with winter coming up I feel its time wasted.

Lots more to say and questions to ask but thought I'd limit the post somewhat as if you got this far then thanks for reading 😂 

Nice little report! Always good to read these things.  

The main thing is you love driving it!  

Quite a few of the niggles can be addressed:

• Fit a pedal box,  which sharpens throttle response and removed the initial dead inch lag
  • Fit some replacement paddle shifters, more conducive to using manual mode and sidestepping the issues of S hanging on to long before upshifting, amd D shifting up too quick.  Or there’s always a TCU tune. 
  • Buy obdeleven (or see if a nearby member with it can help out) to Disable Stop Start, disable these soundaktor or turn it down so it’s either not audible at all or lesser in every mode
  • As a minimum get some protection on the car to see it through winter then do a full detail in early spring to sort out those marks and scratches. The dealer may have a used glaze to hide them but most likely buyer blindness.  But in winter its not time wasted but time invested to protect the paintwork as the worst time of year.
    And if you do do any winter detailing, you’ll want that obdeleven to code off your windscreen wipers to stop them making a mess all over the bonnet and A pillars!  😁

Then love driving it even more!  

14 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Just a note on paddles, if you move them away from the wheel ie with stick on parts they will be too close to the stalks unfortunately...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

That’s why full replacement shifters are good option, no sticking anything onto the existing paddles, so no interference with stalks.

12 minutes ago, SpursMadDave said:

Absolutely but not sure that will help the OP though with his issue emoji848.png

It could. It depends what LUG means by too close to the wheel.  The stubby oem plastic paddles feel very snug to the wheel mounting even though they are away from the actual arc parts of the wheel. They are quite limited in movement on pressing. They feel unnaturally restricted.  Most replacements are longer and whilst they may extend further vertically, they feel less cramped to the central supports of the wheel, and that can make them feel quite different, better placement from the wheel, and a more natural spacing. Certainly S2Ts are like that. 

3 minutes ago, Booth11 said:
It could. It depends what LUG means by too close to the wheel.  The stubby oem plastic paddles feel very snug to the wheel mounting even though they are away from the actual arc parts of the wheel. They are quite limited in movement on pressing. They feel unnaturally restricted.  Most replacements are longer and whilst they may extend further vertically, they feel less cramped to the central supports of the wheel, and that can make them feel quite different, better placement from the wheel, and a more natural spacing. Certainly S2Ts are like that. 

I was going by the 'I don't want massive sports paddles' comment that's all, but it seems the paddles are getting some use already so definitely worth looking at an upgrade

1 minute ago, SpursMadDave said:

I was going by the 'I don't want massive sports paddles' comment that's all, but it seems the paddles are getting some use already so definitely worth looking at an upgrade emoji106.png

I’m sure LUG knows what he means. 😀

10 hours ago, LUG said:

Just a few personal observations since purchase. Very much enjoying the car even if it sounds like I am whinging on some points.

Things I like or didn't know about:

• ACC is useful.
  • Auto braking (may) have saved my butt. A car emergency stopped in front of me, I was going to hit the break but it beat me to it. I think my reactions would of surficed but hey ho it worked.
  • When the above incident occurred my seat belt tensioned up and held me in my seat (I didn't know about this) pretty cool.
  • I found a little hidden tray/compartment under the front seats (didnt know about these 😄)
  • Im fully converted to DSG, Auto Hold and no Clutch pedal. Even if I do still rest my hand on the gearstick and sometimes try and dip the clutch when approaching a junction to change gears 😃
  • The illuminations inside and out of the car at night is nice 😋
  • Rain sensor wipers work really well.
  • I love driving it :D 

Things I dislike OR have now noticed:

• Throttle response/acceleration is delayed in D even with race mode on, I find I switch to S quite a lot. 
  • S can hover at hi-revs too long, the balance between wanting immediate acceleration/throttle response and not driving like an idiot has led me to using the paddles more than I thought I would.
  • Moving on to paddles they are a little too close to the steering wheel and although I don't want some massive sports paddles I might try find some understated bigger ones with a more natural distance from the steering wheel to tap (any suggestions?)
  • Stop-Start and me haven fallen out, just stay the f**k OFF!!! 🤬😂
  • Navigation maps from Google/Waze not showing in Digital cockpit is annoying. As is other AppleCar play features not showing there, like current song/track info.
  • Navigation enlarged map settings doesn't persist between journeys as with many other settings, the car forgets them next time you start the car, auto-stop/start setting being another.
  • I have read threads before about this but I am wondering if my climate windscreen is effecting my mobile phone 4g coverage as there have been too many times I've had poor to no connection at all.
  • The soundaktor volume is overkill at times, especially when driving relatively conservative yet it makes out your accelerating harshly or doing 100.
  • Rear view seems pretty poor, I am not sure if this is compacted by the fact I have tinted back windows but my rear view awareness in this car seems limited in comparison to other cars I've had maybe this is just me?

Regards the car & me:

• Found a few minor scratches here and there I didn't see on pickup, I wonder if the dealer masked them somehow or I was just buyer blind? They could be fresh but Ive been extra careful with parking spots and such. I mean to get these looked at by someone.
  • I don't know whether I have just got used to the speed & power but today it seemed a little sluggish, probably just the throttle response though as when the pedal goes past such a point it goes from acceleration to warp speed 😂
  • I have found out I can't park! literally, I can't parallel park!! Gaps I would have normally chucked my old car in to at speed I won't even attempt in fear of scratching my alloys or making a fool of myself with 3-4 attempts 😂
  • I don't want passengers, they dirty my carpets and scuff my seats & door panels, just walk will you or get your own Golf R :D 
  • 5Door aint so bad, but I was in traffic next to a Lapiz Blue 3DR today and was a little jealous.
  • I can't stop dropping by the jet wash, spent a fortune and it doesnt even do a great job. I need to learn to detail my car, but with winter coming up I feel its time wasted.

Lots more to say and questions to ask but thought I'd limit the post somewhat as if you got this far then thanks for reading 😂 

Brilliant post LUG...Loved reading every word.....Thanks for posting it......Always love reviews from other R owners, but still great to get your opinion and feedback.....Very well written and laid out....:afro:....Just proof that every R is different just like every R driver is different...:smiley:

I can't wait for Part 2....:smiley::lol::afro:

Hi Lug. Thank you for your initial impressions after two weeks. I really Enjoyed reading it, found myself nodding at times, at other times making a mental note to look out...haha. Great to hear you’re enjoying driving it, and obsessing a bit.  Haha, comes with the R badge I guess. 
A 3dr Golf was always better looking than 5 (even when introduced back in Mk 2 GTI guise, (showing my age tho...)   Size of 3dr Doors look Massive after you get used to a 5dr...and don’t forget the hassle getting in/out of rear passengers verses oh, the ease of having 5 doors.
Laughed about ACC (being a control freak), and Auto Braking, Auto hold.   Where did the handbrake go.  Also now find myself waiting to hear auto locking/unlocking noises😂

I’ll need to look out for the phone /climate screen thing tho......might take a me while.

Same as you re parking.......must be a condition/ syndrome called “Pretoria Parker”.  

Great to hear your smitten, even with a few niggles and interested to hear which you Must address by mods ...Pedalbox and Paddleshifters??? arriving soon by courier??

What do you think of the acceleration, cornering, grip, ride,  exhaust / cabin noise, feel of the brakes....there’s so much to consider after changing to a car you’ve lusted after and obsessed about for a while.   How are you finding the seats, steering wheel, control buttons, electronic dash, infotainment screen/options.  Boot size? Haha. 
Look forward to more comments from you and after a longer spell owning.  
Hearing feedback shows to me how different and similar people are, and that We all live with/can’t tolerate different things I guess, both in and out of our cars😀

16 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

Sounds like you need a pedal box and an OBDEleven for starters

Yes was thinking that while I read the post.

I think at least a third of his issues can be sorted with a pedal box and an OBDEleven.

And maybe a gearbox map if he's not happy with the 'box. But I personally dont find me needing a gearbox map with a pedal box fitted. Makes the car far more driveable in D.

Don't worry too much about scratches, you'll get plenty more. I had a Pheasant decide to commit suicide yesterday by sprawling itself over the bonnet before hitting the windscreen followed by landing on the roof and bouncing off🥵