Sign in to follow this  
Gogs tcr

Gogs tcr

Welcome to VWROC Gordon!  

:welcome:

Some nice performance Golfs on your list!  And congratulations on your latest, the new TCR!l  How come you didn’t join us when you had your R!  😁

Joking aside, there are a few people on here that have made the switch from R to the TCR and a couple decent threads on it here so they are worth having a look at. And it would be great to hear your take on the two cars.  As well as the mk7 Chat section, have a look in the Other Marques section. 

There’s also a small handful of people with recently bought TCR’s over on the excellent GolfGTI forum and so if you’re not already on there, definitely worth joining up as that’s GTI specific and some good in-depth TCR talk on there. 

The DSG is a big learning curve and takes some getting used to.  You might find this thread below, a helpful read to give you greater insight and get the most out of it. Most find that after a while, they are truly converted!  Hopefully you’ll get on with it. 

Enjoy and post some pics up! 

Thought i would say something about all my cars so far. 

The mk5 gti, i loved, and was sad to see it go, it was a great car, looked good, had power, and definitely put vw back on the map hot hatch wise. It was also the only one I've had where you could just hear the turbo dump valve working (with the radio off).

Swapped it for the mk6 gti which looked great (mine had the full LED light pack, which i looked for, as i didnt like the standard lights) but it didnt feel like a step up, my gearbox wasn't as good as the mk5, even after VW had a look at it, and overall it was a little disappointing after the 5.

The mk7 R was next and was fab apart from the fake engine noise, especially in sport mode, which i never liked. I'm a mechanic and been into fast cars and hot hatches  for a long time, and just not into fake noise, a 4cyl turbo just doesn't make a noise like that. Apart from that its a great car, it just goes, traction is brilliant, and looks good inside and out.

Had the mk7 PP next and actually driving home, apart from the traction, didn't feel like a step down.

Was great fun on the back roads, good mpg and overall was brilliant and still missing it.

My latest is the TCR in Red with black roof, was a big decision, as couldn't make up my mind between another R, A35 AMG? or TCR, in the end the fact that they had just returned the R to 296 bhp swung it, I'd already had one, and wanted a 310 in lapiz blue. I think the GTI has the edge over the R in looks, inside and out, the headlights, the red stitching, the red calipers, looks great, the R needs the calipers painting in a colour other than black, they don't stand out.

Only done 1200 miles so far and the DSG is taking time to grow on me, but it does shift, and apart from the traction off the line will be just as quick as the R. Liking the interior and all the new digital dash and stuff and will see how i feel about it in a few months.

Nice little back story summary of your golfs.  

Agree with some of your points about the mk5 gti compared to the mk6 gti. I also followed similar progression, moving from a mk5 GTI A (had two, a manual and a DSG) to a Mk6 GTI.  The mk6 was definitely a side step rather than a step up, though the DSG gearbox was an improvement on the mk5 DSG. I had the bi-xenon light upgrade on mine which was a massive improvement on the mk5 lights and the standard mk6 ones.  There was more refinement in the mk6 which was good on the one hand, but at the expense of that pure rawness and gruffness of the mk5 on the other, which was missed.  I much preferred my mk5 GTIs to my mk6 gti, but then came the Mk7 R and have to say, overall, to date, that’s the best of the bunch I’ve had to the point that it’s a long term keeper for me, well until something else tempts me.  The TCR is the only other Mk7/7.5 I’d consider but there just not enough to tempt me away from my R, and I actually prefer the low key looks of the R now to the more iconic GTI character these days.  

It sounds a logical progression for you, and that the TCR offers things that a second R wouldn’t have, having been there and done that to an extent.  Hopefully if you settle with the dsg, which is so good coupled with all the other tech, like Auto hold, ACC etc, then sounds like it the TCR will be a great discovery. 

20 hours ago, Gogs tcr said:

Thought i would say something about all my cars so far. 

The mk5 gti, i loved, and was sad to see it go, it was a great car, looked good, had power, and definitely put vw back on the map hot hatch wise. It was also the only one I've had where you could just hear the turbo dump valve working (with the radio off).

Swapped it for the mk6 gti which looked great (mine had the full LED light pack, which i looked for, as i didnt like the standard lights) but it didnt feel like a step up, my gearbox wasn't as good as the mk5, even after VW had a look at it, and overall it was a little disappointing after the 5.

The mk7 R was next and was fab apart from the fake engine noise, especially in sport mode, which i never liked. I'm a mechanic and been into fast cars and hot hatches  for a long time, and just not into fake noise, a 4cyl turbo just doesn't make a noise like that. Apart from that its a great car, it just goes, traction is brilliant, and looks good inside and out.

Had the mk7 PP next and actually driving home, apart from the traction, didn't feel like a step down.

Was great fun on the back roads, good mpg and overall was brilliant and still missing it.

My latest is the TCR in Red with black roof, was a big decision, as couldn't make up my mind between another R, A35 AMG? or TCR, in the end the fact that they had just returned the R to 296 bhp swung it, I'd already had one, and wanted a 310 in lapiz blue. I think the GTI has the edge over the R in looks, inside and out, the headlights, the red stitching, the red calipers, looks great, the R needs the calipers painting in a colour other than black, they don't stand out.

Only done 1200 miles so far and the DSG is taking time to grow on me, but it does shift, and apart from the traction off the line will be just as quick as the R. Liking the interior and all the new digital dash and stuff and will see how i feel about it in a few months.

Great post Gordon...:afro:...I enjoyed reading it very much....:)

Hi and welcome. Enjoyed the read. Just brought a brand new R and was very tempted with the tcr. They had a lovely white one in the showroom, and I think it looks loads better than the standard R. However I prefer the 4wd of the R, it’s a tad quicker 0-60 and slightly cheaper. But I would love to put the tcr brakes, front splitter and rear diffuser on my R. 

Yes, the TCR brakes, and body kit do look good, but the R is still a great choice and will be much better if we get any snow. Ihave a set of winter wheels and tyres that i have used on all my golfs, although thinking about getting a new set for the TCR as they are looking a bit rough after a good few years use.