Golf Mk8 videos

21 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

I don’t think ceramic coats stop swirls, some may prevent them to some debatable degree but not stop them.  I think anyone getting decent ceramic coat will be glad they did not least to aid maintenance washes as well as protective abilities, but it’s has to be hand in hand with careful aftercare maintenance and techniques to prevent swirls and keep them to a minimum.  It’s a long while since I had a ceramic coat on a car of mine (mk5 days) and  they’ve advanced a lot in the last few years so some great options.  I myself am not having the new car ceramic coated as I’m keen to experiment with good waxes on the lapiz, plus also like to do detailing including machine myself polishing at certain points.   

I have a ceramic coat on another car and to be honest it looks as good as when it was applied to the naked eye ,I have not noticed any marks whatsoever.I am more curious if people had found the Lapiz shows swirls up particularly easy and your previous comment implied you had experience of this so thought I'd ask.

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YEA!!!!!, My Car is FINALLY HOME..😍   https://youtu.be/MuzXvBuStZ0      

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Aid7072 said:

If the Lapiz swirls easily would you recommend a ceramic coating?

Good maintenance is key - watch the Car Cleaning Guru on YouTube. Any video of his will show the right thing to do.

Even my car - a solid white R, has swirled quite a bit (visible under certain lighting) as I cut corners on maintenance. For example I didn't pre-treat the car before contact washing it - I just slapped a wet wash mitt down on a dirty but bone-dry car and dragged it around. Not good.

I recently gave it a good clean with a clay bar and some spray-on wax, which definitely has "hidden" some swirls. But I do need to go for a full on machine polish, or even use some T-Cut (or similar) first followed by machine polish and wax.

Ceramic coating will help, or clear PPF all over (pricey if you go for a well known wrapper like Yiannimize). But bear in mind, not much can help except elbow grease or lots of money - the paint is left out in the elements, and is subjected to 70mph+ in all weather conditions - it needs a fair amount of work to keep it pristine :) 

Personally - I prefer elbow grease as I enjoy it more.

11 minutes ago, Ignition1 said:

Good maintenance is key - watch the Car Cleaning Guru on YouTube. Any video of his will show the right thing to do.

Even my car - a solid white R, has swirled quite a bit (visible under certain lighting) as I cut corners on maintenance. For example I didn't pre-treat the car before contact washing it - I just slapped a wet wash mitt down on a dirty but bone-dry car and dragged it around. Not good.

I recently gave it a good clean with a clay bar and some spray-on wax, which definitely has "hidden" some swirls. But I do need to go for a full on machine polish, or even use some T-Cut (or similar) first followed by machine polish and wax.

Ceramic coating will help, or clear PPF all over (pricey if you go for a well known wrapper like Yiannimize). But bear in mind, not much can help except elbow grease or lots of money - the paint is left out in the elements, and is subjected to 70mph+ in all weather conditions - it needs a fair amount of work to keep it pristine :) 

Personally - I prefer elbow grease as I enjoy it more.

I like nice cars but not the effort maintaining the exterior,guess that's another decent ceramic coat on the 8R when it arrives then.

2 minutes ago, Aid7072 said:

I like nice cars but not the effort maintaining the exterior,guess that's another decent ceramic coat on the 8R when it arrives then.

Yep. If the effort puts you off, you have plenty of options still to keep it looking great - only trade-off is the money. But elbow grease or money spent - it's worth it either way! Plus it will help to keep your private re-sale value higher.

12 minutes ago, Ignition1 said:

Yep. If the effort puts you off, you have plenty of options still to keep it looking great - only trade-off is the money. But elbow grease or money spent - it's worth it either way! Plus it will help to keep your private re-sale value higher.

Its weird coz I'll put lots of effort in to keep inside looking pristine yet outside struggle to do more than a wash and dry hence the ceramic option being favoured.

22 minutes ago, Aid7072 said:

I have a ceramic coat on another car and to be honest it looks as good as when it was applied to the naked eye ,I have not noticed any marks whatsoever.I am more curious if people had found the Lapiz shows swirls up particularly easy and your previous comment implied you had experience of this so thought I'd ask.

I think there has always been a feeling on here that the Lapiz paint finish shows swirl marks more than some other brands/colours, but it's very subjective. I had my 7.5 Lapiz ceramic coated from new and can definitely say that it doesn't prevent swirl marks. It looks great when done and certainly makes the car easier and quicker to clean, but if you take "shortcuts" the car will still swirl.

8 minutes ago, PhilC22 said:

I think there has always been a feeling on here that the Lapiz paint finish shows swirl marks more than some other brands/colours, but it's very subjective. I had my 7.5 Lapiz ceramic coated from new and can definitely say that it doesn't prevent swirl marks. It looks great when done and certainly makes the car easier and quicker to clean, but if you take "shortcuts" the car will still swirl.

Possible that different ceramic coats protect better than others?

More likely then that I dont see any swirls due to not washing it often enough.

53 minutes ago, Aid7072 said:

I’ve not had a Lapiz car previously myself so have no direct experience of the paint but it’s widely known on forums (especially in detailing sections) that Lapiz paint shows swirls very readily, as does Deep Black Pearl which I do have many years experience of.  I don’t think there’s much between the two colours on that score so I’m prepared for it to be similar in that respect, but I will find out soon.   It’s what you can’t see with the naked eye that is picked up in detailing circles.  A paint panel can look absolutely perfect to the naked eye in certain lights, but be a whole other story with direct sunlight or a swirl spotting light on it.  Personal choice and circumstance will dictate care and protection preferences and needs of course.  Whether you DIY the detailing, or opt for a pro detail with ceramic protection with the aim of easy ongoing maintenance, there’s still a level of maintenance needed and more importantly good wash/dry techniques to maintain the finish and minimise the risk of swirling and marring etc to keep it looking it’s best.  So long as you find something that works for you that’s what counts.