Jump to content
dopper99

Golf Mk8 videos

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Ignition1 said:

 

After watching that Automann video where he showed the difference in 0-60mph vs 0-100kmh versus different settings in the VBox using the MK8 R...I don't know which time to believe.

 

8R all the way compared to the new S3.

 

That S3 is just...bleh. Cheap looking grey plastic everywhere, and that horrible rear with fake plastic vents making it look like an A1. Reduced quality interior. Same speed (or slower) than the previous S3. Yet no doubt this one is more expensive than the previous version...for no apparent reason other than being "new".

 

From spending a little bit of time in the brothers in laws new A3 I'd say the interior is actually pretty nice and a definite step up on the mk7.5 R (can't speak for the mk8). As he said, appearances are very subjective and I think overall I prefer the S3 but I agree that the plastic fake rear vents are awful. That yellow also isn't helping...

 

Overall I think it would be a difficult decision for me to choose between the two. Spec'd to the same level there is about a £3500 premium for the Golf - with discounts that might end up being a bit closer. I think I'd potentially lean toward the S3 just because I think it's a nicer place to spend the 90% of normal driving. Not sure I'd miss the R's added performance that much for that final 10%. Not unless I was planning on tracking it anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The deal breaker for me on an S3 (not that I'd contemplate one) is having the pay £44K if you want adaptive suspension as you apparently need to buy the Vorsprung model. Crazy money as you can have it on the Golf for £800.

 

Not sure what else you'd get for your £44K but probably a load of things I wouldnt want.

 

I do like that you can still configure indvidual items to VW's and that they haven't lumped everything into Packs like BMW and Merc's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dopper99 said:

The deal breaker for me on an S3 (not that I'd contemplate one) is having the pay £44K if you want adaptive suspension as you apparently need to buy the Vorsprung model. Crazy money as you can have it on the Golf for £800.

 

Not sure what else you'd get for your £44K but probably a load of things I wouldnt want.

 

I do like that you can still configure indvidual items to VW's and that they haven't lumped everything into Packs like BMW and Merc's.


it was all that brush aluminium on the front grill and around the windows I didn’t like. No black pack option, you had to order the vorsprung model for this as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dopper99 said:

The deal breaker for me on an S3 (not that I'd contemplate one) is having the pay £44K if you want adaptive suspension as you apparently need to buy the Vorsprung model. Crazy money as you can have it on the Golf for £800.

 

Not sure what else you'd get for your £44K but probably a load of things I wouldnt want.

 

I do like that you can still configure indvidual items to VW's and that they haven't lumped everything into Packs like BMW and Merc's.

 

Just now, Darlo said:


it was all that brush aluminium on the front grill and around the windows I didn’t like. No black pack option, you had to order the vorsprung model for this as well 

 

I actually had an order in for an S3 before changing my mind, cancelling and ordering the R after looking more closely at what you need to spec to get a decent car. Everything is extra on the S3, for example if you dont spec the 19" wheels and therefore have the MAG suspension, you cannot buy 19's afterwards because they wont fit as you need the MAG Suspension for them to fit. 

 

The Digital dash also looks crap compared to the R. 

 

I am sooooooooo happy I cancelled the S3 for the R. 

 

It looks as you both mention that to get a decent S3 you have to buy the Vorsprung model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JaseW said:

 

 

I actually had an order in for an S3 before changing my mind, cancelling and ordering the R after looking more closely at what you need to spec to get a decent car. Everything is extra on the S3, for example if you dont spec the 19" wheels and therefore have the MAG suspension, you cannot buy 19's afterwards because they wont fit as you need the MAG Suspension for them to fit. 

 

The Digital dash also looks crap compared to the R. 

 

I am sooooooooo happy I cancelled the S3 for the R. 

 

It looks as you both mention that to get a decent S3 you have to buy the Vorsprung model. 


On the new one you didn’t need mag suspension for the 19’s unless that has changed recently. I almost ordered an S3 with 19’s, comfort & sound, paint and wireless charging. So glad I didn’t, when I saw one in the flesh I was underwhelmed big time. Interior was nice but the exterior did nothing for me.

 

Like you I am soooo pleased I ordered the R over the S3. It wasn’t about price as the lease was costing me the same. I just preferred the R. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Darlo said:


On the new one you didn’t need mag suspension for the 19’s unless that has changed recently. I almost ordered an S3 with 19’s, comfort & sound, paint and wireless charging. So glad I didn’t, when I saw one in the flesh I was underwhelmed big time. Interior was nice but the exterior did nothing for me.

 

Like you I am soooo pleased I ordered the R over the S3. It wasn’t about price as the lease was costing me the same. I just preferred the R. 


 

I was told by the dealer (who is a cousin of mine) that Mag sus was still needed... either way it put me off. 

 

My cousin did match the DTD offer at just under £37k for a basic spec with C&S pack, but when I saw DTD had the R at that price WITH all the options I wanted, it was probably the easiest decision ever. I love my Golfs and I always said it would have to be a very very good car that took me away. I don't know why I actually thought I would be happy to switch to an S3 now, it never gave me the 'wow im so excited for this to turn up' factor that I currently have with the R. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, JaseW said:

I actually had an order in for an S3 before changing my mind, cancelling and ordering the R after looking more closely at what you need to spec to get a decent car. Everything is extra on the S3, for example if you dont spec the 19" wheels and therefore have the MAG suspension, you cannot buy 19's afterwards because they wont fit as you need the MAG Suspension for them to fit. 

It looks as you both mention that to get a decent S3 you have to buy the Vorsprung model. 

 

Audi did something a bit strange with the new S3. I'm pretty sure there were 3 models at launch (Sportback, Edition 1 and Vorsprung) but the Edition 1 got dropped somewhere along the line, at least in the UK. With the A3, the Edition 1 (at around £32k OTR) is definitely the one to have as it contains some choice features (electric memory seats, matrix LED headlights, 'black pack') as standard that are not even options on the 'basic' S3! And no adaptive dampers either. I assume Audi are hoping to make a big splash with the new RS3!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before I got the Golf I wanted the S3, but having the old S3 black edition the new one felt like it another facelift with a better infotainment, 

 

The Pros: the S3 has over the Golf is buttons and leather seats 


Cons: The sliver trim around the makes it look like a Q2,

The standard alloys wouldn’t even good enough for an SE trim,

Pay extra for the fancy headlights 

£425 for keyless 

£1600 driver assist

£900 if wanted heated seats (come as a package with speaker upgrade only)

£145 Wireless charging 

Only rear parking sensors 

£100 for high beam assist 

£100 Ambient lighting Pack

lol £290 for red brake calipers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Dannybear83 said:

Before I got the Golf I wanted the S3, but having the old S3 black edition the new one felt like it another facelift with a better infotainment, 

 

The Pros: the S3 has over the Golf is buttons and leather seats 


Cons: The sliver trim around the makes it look like a Q2,

The standard alloys wouldn’t even good enough for an SE trim,

Pay extra for the fancy headlights 

£425 for keyless 

£1600 driver assist

£900 if wanted heated seats (come as a package with speaker upgrade only)

£145 Wireless charging 

Only rear parking sensors 

£100 for high beam assist 

£100 Ambient lighting Pack

lol £290 for red brake calipers

 

Yes the S3 get pretty fast very expensive with some "standard" options..

 

And you can´t get any Performance option as on the R. As Performance Pack, Akra Exhaust,  Cup2 tires and big brakes..

 

The S3 is more for crusing around in my point, but in a nice way! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spec aside, let’s not forgot the Golf is probably a better drivers car being slightly more powerful and better handling with rear torque vectoring etc....

 

Which is why Matt Watson said he’d choose it at the end of the vid.

 

I’m sure the S3 is good, but the Golf is just better 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree with Matt's comments about the plastic trim in both cars. Even though I went for the upgraded Nappa leather which is nice. The  outer trim panels in the front and rear doors are very hard plastic that remind me of a VW Polo I had many years ago. The leather look inserts that you get with the Nappa upholstery also feel and look well plastic.  The carpets in the Golf R are also VW Polo quality too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Darlo said:

Looks like there will be another review inbound soon....

 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNaYYa0JtQ3/?igshid=a363zhlzbec7

 

He's got a different VW UK press car from the others looking at the wheels and the last digit of the registration plate,will be interesting to hear his opinion on running it on the 19s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Aid7072 said:

 

He's got a different VW UK press car from the others looking at the wheels and the last digit of the registration plate,will be interesting to hear his opinion on running it on the 19s


yeah interesting to hear for sure. Wonder if it’s has dcc? If it hasn’t its the same spec as mine and to be honest I’m happy with the 19’s on the standard suspension BUT I have never had a car with dcc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Aid7072 said:

 

He's got a different VW UK press car from the others looking at the wheels and the last digit of the registration plate,will be interesting to hear his opinion on running it on the 19s


Good to see a VW Press car on the 19s but I’m surprised they’ve not supplied a second one with the full Performance Pack and DCC, that would have been a good alternative to the original press car.  
 

Be good to hear a review of it on the 19s though.  I’m very happy with the 19s with DCC.  The DCC is much improved over the DCC I had on the mk7 and mk6.  There’s a lot of choice of levels but quite a big difference going through the range.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...