Golf Mk8 videos

dopper99

2 hours ago, gazza5 said:

Apologises for duplicating video! 

t's a gti, but when he eventually gets into the car, there are shortcut buttons on the dash which I didn't realise. 

If you want a better look at the 'shortcut' buttons, they are better shown on the vid below (@about 12:30 mins). Haptic feedback type, so not quite like physical buttons, but they are present nonetheless. R will be identical, obviously. Jonny Smith found the general MMI screen / menu layout "bloody confusing" (7:10) but I guess you'd get used to it? However, VW seem to have managed to mess up the front end of both the GTI and the R, which is some achievement 😕

4 hours ago, gazza5 said:

Think these cars may handle better, by the sounds of it, but I am still undecided about the inside, I still think its a step back

I think it was Chris Harris who said that it did handle better, but had lost an edge that made for an uninvolved drive

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, DB9 said:

I’m probably in the minority but I really like it and would be getting it if the starting price wasn’t €63k in Ireland.

I’ll join you in that minority as I’m really liking it too, after early misgivings which is par for the course with new models but more so with the mk8. But, IMO, it’s turned out to be the best (in looks at least) of the mk8 performance bunch and the drive and handling sound very promising,  Can’t wait to test drive one next year!  

Maybe I'm still in the majority :D

I still have some misgivings about the interior - I don't think the cost cutting on materials and fit and finish has disappeared in the MK8 R. And while the exterior is by far the best looking MK8 Golf, again - cost-cutting has shown on the GTI that they've replaced the metal door sills and lower-body trim bits with cheap, scratchy matte-black plastic. Not sure if that plagues the 8R as well - but at £50k well-spec'd I really hope not.

The sound is different for sure in that AutoMann-TV video, like a V6 on the inside but that could be a different soundaktor setup from the MK7. Also hope it's not using the in-car speakers like BMW.

£50k could get you a pre-OPF RS3 + many years of servicing, new tyres, brakes, warranty cover, pay for immediate repairs and maybe a full wash, wash and interior clean. Infinitely better. The new R is priced too close to other better cars.

Found this Night Drive very encouraging. Many have said that the Drive would need to be damn good to make up for the Face and Dash of the Mk8.   It looked pretty nippy to me, even so fresh out of the box.
Maybe VW have delivered what is needed here?........so just the price left to sort.

Apologises to mods - I posted the video in the other Golf R thread.

My thoughs  are it does sound nice with the exhaust, although maybe fake sound again on the inside.

A very capable car - but dare I say it - the 7 / 7.5 R is so capable, with the 8 being even more capable, will this leave a slightly duller driving experiance? Thats my biggest fear with the R.

4.5 to 100kmh in the wet is impressive.

8 hours ago, Booth11 said:

I’ll join you in that minority as I’m really liking it too, after early misgivings which is par for the course with new models but more so with the mk8. But, IMO, it’s turned out to be the best (in looks at least) of the mk8 performance bunch and the drive and handling sound very promising,  Can’t wait to test drive one next year!  

Have you been given a rough date your dealer will take possession of one yet?

My dealer hasn’t a clue