dopper99

Golf Mk8 videos

16 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Good to see a VW Press car on the 19s but I’m surprised they’ve not supplied a second one with the full Performance Pack and DCC, that would have been a good alternative to the original press car.  

Be good to hear a review of it on the 19s though.  I’m very happy with the 19s with DCC.  The DCC is much improved over the DCC I had on the mk7 and mk6.  There’s a lot of choice of levels but quite a big difference going through the range.  

I think you managed to get dibs on the first performance pack car in the UK 😂😂

😂

yeah I would love to try one with dcc. I can only compare it to her A35 and my old golf R .... mine rides slightly better the the A35 (hers had no dcc and 18’s) and about the same as my old R. The A35 suspension is a lot firmer though. 

let’s face it though.... I was never paying for a warm bum. I’m certainly not paying for a nicer ride 😂

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

Good to see a VW Press car on the 19s but I’m surprised they’ve not supplied a second one with the full Performance Pack and DCC, that would have been a good alternative to the original press car.  

Be good to hear a review of it on the 19s though.  I’m very happy with the 19s with DCC.  The DCC is much improved over the DCC I had on the mk7 and mk6.  There’s a lot of choice of levels but quite a big difference going through the range.  

After reading your comments there on the DCC it sounds a good extra and glad I've added it.

4 hours ago, Darlo said:

Looks like there will be another review inbound soon....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNaYYa0JtQ3/?igshid=a363zhlzbec7

Seen a lot of Joe Achilles stuff and he's a rear-wheel drive BMW fanboy at heart so this car isn't typically his sort of thing at all.

He pretty much slated the M135i 4 pot xdrive when it came out and his reviews I recall on the Golf R 7.5 were a general reflection of his non-preference of 4WD hatches (I think he drove one in Australia a while back).

Still, he'll know full well it'll be good content for his channel given the buzz around the Mk 8 R at the moment so I don't think he'll be running this one down.

Compares everything to a 2 wheel drive clubsport...........
apparently ‘average’ drivers will buy the R over it......

That was one of his comments on Twitter once that annoyed me, the fact journalists were ‘better’ drivers than Joe public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair it was a comparison between the two cars and he did his best to remain impartial.... until he came out with that "average" driver garbage.

I've got nothing against the Clubsport, I've heard it's really good to drive and I'm sure there are benefits to having one over the R (and vice versa), But having one does not make you a driving purist by any stretch of the imagination..... same applies to the R for that matter.

As a YouTuber, to laud yourself with such an accolade makes you look arrogant and foolish (politely speaking). 

Yeah I thought it was an odd thing to say. I don’t think the skill of the driver dictates what car you buy. It’s what the driver wants out of the car. 

Other than that it was a reasonably balanced view of the two cars. He noted some things that I have not noticed on other reviews like how difficult it is to hit an apex in the R? 

Would interesting to see them in gear. I think automann had the R as being very slightly quicker 

39 minutes ago, Darlo said:

Yeah I thought it was an odd thing to say. I don’t think the skill of the driver dictates what car you buy. It’s what the driver wants out of the car. 

Other than that it was a reasonably balanced view of the two cars. He noted some things that I have not noticed on other reviews like how difficult it is to hit an apex in the R? 

Would interesting to see them in gear. I think automann had the R as being very slightly quicker 

I’ve not watched it, but whilst I understand someone saying a performance car is easy or difficult to drive, trying to link that back to talent behind the wheels isn’t right imo.   Difficult to hit an apex?  Surely that depends on the speed you’re entering the corner?  So you could quite rightly say that one car has a faster apex speed than another, or even that when pushed hard it would understeer, but the only reason you’d miss the apex (other than the steering being broken....) is if you went in too quickly and couldn’t get the nose in.   Not something a driving god would struggle with and if the R has a rear end that you can adjust with the throttle, then that would help get the front turned in....if you’ve you got the skill to do that of course 😁

18 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

I’ve not watched it, but whilst I understand someone saying a performance car is easy or difficult to drive, trying to link that back to talent behind the wheels isn’t right imo.   Difficult to hit an apex?  Surely that depends on the speed you’re entering the corner?  So you could quite rightly say that one car has a faster apex speed than another, or even that when pushed hard it would understeer, but the only reason you’d miss the apex (other than the steering being broken....) is if you went in too quickly and couldn’t get the nose in.   Not something a driving god would struggle with and if the R has a rear end that you can adjust with the throttle, then that would help get the front turned in....if you’ve you got the skill to do that of course 😁

Having now watched it, totally agree with your comments above Martin, especially about hitting the apex.   Other than that, predictable content.  

I’ve not watched it, but whilst I understand someone saying a performance car is easy or difficult to drive, trying to link that back to talent behind the wheels isn’t right imo.   Difficult to hit an apex?  Surely that depends on the speed you’re entering the corner?  So you could quite rightly say that one car has a faster apex speed than another, or even that when pushed hard it would understeer, but the only reason you’d miss the apex (other than the steering being broken....) is if you went in too quickly and couldn’t get the nose in.   Not something a driving god would struggle with and if the R has a rear end that you can adjust with the throttle, then that would help get the front turned in....if you’ve you got the skill to do that of course 

Predictably same old same old, always an undercurrent of yes it’s a good car, but....... there’s a clubsport about, it’s in the higher tax bracket, serious drivers only buy a CS or TCR.
It’s like he builds these things up to knock em down.

Having now watched it, totally agree with your comments above Martin, especially about hitting the apex.   Other than that, predictable content.  

Bigger paddles to aid using drift mode
I spat my drink out at that bit.

4 minutes ago, veneeringman said:

Bigger paddles to aid using drift mode emoji23.png
I spat my drink out at that bit.

🤣  I very nearly mentioned that.  I wonder why loads of 7/7.5 owners of both Rs and GTIs opt to replace the poor oem paddles with bigger paddles??? 🤔 😁  Last time I checked no drift mode on those cars, nor on the standard non performance pack 8R either so surely VW should have fitted smaller ones on that. 😉