daverogers2001

What's the minimum?

Hi,

I was just wondering what the minimum tread depth, when one should consider changing the tyres. I'm not talking the minimum legal limit.

It's especially important now that winter is on the way.

It's not about cost here, as I have a service plan which includes tyres.

What do we think?

I would swap for new tyres when they get down to between 2 and 3 mm ,or if I notice bad wear before that I usually do this but I don't have an R ,however we have  a GTD and Tiguan Sport.

At the end of the day the tyres are a vital part of keeping you on the road so better safe than sorry, and they will need replacing sooner or later.

If it's the maintenance package with a lease they'll have a point they will allow you to change it. I think mine has to be down to around 2mm before they'll change them (they only let me change the fronts, but they did put Cross Climates on). 

I usually replace tyres at around 3mm mark.  I check tread depths regularly as part of other routine checks such as tyre pressures, oil, coolant etc, so keep on top of it and know in advance of when I’m likely to start needing to replace.  Of course any tail off of performance will show up especially in the winter roads too. 

31 minutes ago, daverogers2001 said:

Hi,

I was just wondering what the minimum tread depth, when one should consider changing the tyres. I'm not talking the minimum legal limit.

It's especially important now that winter is on the way.

It's not about cost here, as I have a service plan which includes tyres.

What do we think?

In the spring warmer months I tend to change around 3mm.

however if (like now) I am on 4mm heading in to winter, I just change them.

45 minutes ago, Gavras said:

In the spring warmer months I tend to change around 3mm.

however if (like now) I am on 4mm heading in to winter, I just change them.

Hi Gav thanks. Mine are on 4mm and I was thinking the very same thing about possibly changing them nowish - Many thanks.

40 minutes ago, daverogers2001 said:

Hi Gav thanks. Mine are on 4mm and I was thinking the very same thing about possibly changing them nowish - Many thanks.

It's not so much the snow but how hard the rubber gets.

with less tread summers in winter months can get very risky.

when you consider most Winter tyres should be changed at 4mm, summers should definitely be in the same boat.

its scary people driving with 2mm tread from November to March (or whenever we class the coldest months).

57 minutes ago, Gavras said:

its scary people driving with 2mm tread from November to March (or whenever we class the coldest months).

Is that not usually the Mercs and BMWs that are abandoned on sliproads and  sideroads in ice and snow?

6 minutes ago, NRW said:

Is that not usually the Mercs and BMWs that are abandoned on sliproads and  sideroads in ice and snow?

Nope a lot use winter tyres.

a RWD car with good winter tyres is better in snow , ice that an AWD on summers.

I tend to change mine around 3mm or just before if winter approaching. 

End of the day not worth saving a few hundred quid when you only have 4 handprint sized bits of rubber in contact with the road.

I change mine when the tyres are 3-4 years old (they usually still have heaps of tread left) but I've noticed that "old" tyres have less grip. 

IIRC most tyre manufacturers recommend replacement around 5-6 years of age (or sooner if the rubber had obviously aged eg with cracks).  Ozone & UV attacks tyre rubber even when they aren't being driven on.