Csrigo

7 Speed query

Hi folks.

Just looking for opinions on the 7 speed DSG. I may or may not have an issue on my 7.5 R.

I've just bought the car 2 weeks ago and it's my first DSG. I'm looking for opinions. I feel the car is slipping the clutch slightly when setting off at low speed from a stand still. It will move when I take my foot off the brake but as soon as I give it a tiny bit of throttle to move slowly it tends to rev up to approx 1500rpm before getting good engagement and moving off....is this common?

If it was manual it wld be classed as slipping but unsure of the DSG characteristics...I'm unsure if the clamping pressure of the clutch packs aren't sufficient? This is in normal drive mode. S mode is marginally better but does still do it...and in manual.

Its irritating the life out of me as its sounds like I'm driving a manual with crap clutch control. Meant to say no slipping whilst moving under load or significant throttle and changes up and down the gears are fine.

I've done a search but most posts are about slipping DSGs under under load conditions or mapped etc....my car ecu is standard no map...yet. Any opinions and advice welcome and apologies for the long post.

My 7 speed 2015 Tiguan does it and My 7speed R did it. It’s like it’s a slipping clutch. A pedal box fixes it I had one on My R and looking to fit one on the Tiguan if a remap doesn’t fix the terrible throttle all VW fly by wire have 🤬 

Cheers folks thanks for the replys much appreciated glad to hear it 👍

Can I ask..what is a pedal box and how would this affect it? Also would a TCU map allow it to engage earlier?

Cheers again for the quick responses

No worries OP. The pedal box fits on the end of the accelerator pedal electronics to enable a torque request a lot earlier than is programmed via the ECU or such (I’m no tech) but it works a treat and gives the DSG a shake up a bit in My experience. Not as much as a TCU map but it engages quickly with the device.

missing mine a lot.

17 minutes ago, Jon R306 said:

No worries OP. The pedal box fits on the end of the accelerator pedal electronics to enable a torque request a lot earlier than is programmed via the ECU or such (I’m no tech) but it works a treat and gives the DSG a shake up a bit in My experience. Not as much as a TCU map but it engages quickly with the device.

missing mine a lot.

14 minutes ago, EcosseGolfR said:

get the DTUK pedal box plus, works a treat and it’s very customisable depending on your driving style.

Cheers lads much appreciated I will look into it...if it helps engage quicker I think I'll get one. Also is this removable I assume? Will it flag a td1 or anything similar on the ECU or anything VW can check? Just in case I need to take the car in under warranty? It's a 17 plate so warranty is up in July.

18 minutes ago, Csrigo said:

Cheers lads much appreciated I will look into it...if it helps engage quicker I think I'll get one. Also is this removable I assume? Will it flag a td1 or anything similar on the ECU or anything VW can check? Just in case I need to take the car in under warranty? It's a 17 plate so warranty is up in July.

Have a look in this thread below which shows how a pedal box goes and how it’s fitted and will give you an idea of what it is.  Some links to where to buy too.  This is an older version, the newer pedal box plus looks better and had more features and newer tech. Pedal box takes minutes to install and uninstall should you want to but most leave it installed but just switched off for services, but if the car was going in for warranty work then you probably want to remove it. Very easily done. Doesn’t flag a TD1.  Next best thing to a TCU tune, and much cheaper. 

3 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Have a look in this thread below which shows how a pedal box goes and how it’s fitted and will give you an idea of what it is.  Some links to where to buy too.  This is an older version, the newer pedal box plus looks better and had more features and newer tech. Pedal box takes minutes to install and uninstall should you want to but most leave it installed but just switched off for services, but if the car was going in for warranty work then you probably want to remove it. Very easily done. Doesn’t flag a TD1.  Next best thing to a TCU tune, and much cheaper. 

3 hours ago, Jon R306 said:

No it won’t flag anything I switched mine off twice on my 17 R for service time. You can either remove it or switch it off as it’s easily hidden in the small cubby below the steering wheel.

Thanks again for the feedback. I've looked at your posts Booth and the thread some good info thank you...can anyone confirm however that the box is not just for throttle response? It's not the pedal travel or response that's doing my head in more the lack of drive from a stop to 1500rpm in 1st. The car revving but not moving accordingly basically. If the dtuk box resolves this I'll but one tmoro? Looking for more bite at low speed...

10 hours ago, goodbadboy said:

What Keithy said....:afro:

Cheers👍

I have been looking in to it and looks a good bit of kit however im still unsure if this would resolve my original concern. Looks good for throttle response tho👍