SeymoreButtz

Advice on break pads/discs please

Hi all

Took my car for a service about a month ago, they said my break pads were 60% and 40% worn and the discs were corroded, now my break wear light is on too

I managed to pick up a full set of brembo pads/discs for 280 , took them to get fit by a local that said he’d fit them all for £160 - but when I got there, the mechanic looked at them all and said he doesn’t think they need changing, and the chances are that VW were just hoping I got it done with them ( they tried to charge about £550) to do half the work)

So I’m just wondering what I should do? Whether I should return the parts and just get the light switched off, or whether this is cause for concern?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, SeymoreButtz said:

Hi all

Took my car for a service about a month ago, they said my break pads were 60% and 40% worn and the discs were corroded, now my break wear light is on too

I managed to pick up a full set of brembo pads/discs for 280 , took them to get fit by a local that said he’d fit them all for £160 - but when I got there, the mechanic looked at them all and said he doesn’t think they need changing, and the chances are that VW were just hoping I got it done with them ( they tried to charge about £550) to do half the work)

So I’m just wondering what I should do? Whether I should return the parts and just get the light switched off, or whether this is cause for concern?

My brake pads have about the same wear and the discs are scored and corroded due to not being driven for a long period. The VW garage said don’t worry about it, only replace them when they’re down to next to nothing, or if they lose performance significantly. They feel fine atm. I actually asked them to change them and they said don’t waste your money. 

My brake pads have about the same wear and the discs are scored and corroded due to not being driven for a long period. The VW garage said don’t worry about it, only replace them when they’re down to next to nothing, or if they lose performance significantly. They feel fine atm. I actually asked them to change them and they said don’t waste your money. 

Yeh I mean, they actually feel completely fine, they make weird noises whenever I’m in slow stop start traffic and I have to keep using them.. but if VW had never mentioned it, I wouldn’t even have looked at my breaks. And I’ve been told that it could just be the sensor playing up, is there a way to get the light off without any extra software?

34 minutes ago, Bazandbeanz said:

Brake pads legal limit is 1.5 mm. I just had car serviced at VW and my pads are at 4mm and wanted me to change them. As well as my tyres on 4mm and 3.5mm. Money for nothing!!

While rest is typical dealer trying it on, heading into winter with 3.5 mm on tyres, especially summers is risky.

at 3.5 mm would definitely be getting new tyres.

So you've got 40% (just under half) and 60% (just over half) of your pads remaining ... soundalike you have plenty of life left in the to me.

The only things that I'm wondering about is why the waring flight would come on with so much material left on them ...