Sign in to follow this  
joe77

Change to Scirocco

Hello everyone,,

At the moment I own a 2008 Civic R18A2 FK2 for like 6 months, and i am thinking of changing it in 2020 or 2021 with a MK3 Scirocco, preferably Scirocco R (which i dont think it is possible), up to 10k euro.

Can you tell me what should i look up to? I know that the TSI/TFSI engines have some timing belt extension problems, others say that it eats a lot of oil (which i see normal if you rev it), mostly stuff like "stay away of the petrol VAG engines, better buy a diesel".

I tested one that had a little tuning (stage 1, unknown hp, decatted pipe i think) and it felt really nice, but was at under 5k euros and seemed suspicious.

Also i want to mention that it will be a daily drive, some weekends will do 500km roadtrips (student in another city), and maybe later modify & tune it.

On 11/01/2020 at 00:10, joe77 said:

Hello everyone,,

At the moment I own a 2008 Civic R18A2 FK2 for like 6 months, and i am thinking of changing it in 2020 or 2021 with a MK3 Scirocco, preferably Scirocco R (which i dont think it is possible), up to 10k euro.

Can you tell me what should i look up to? I know that the TSI/TFSI engines have some timing belt extension problems, others say that it eats a lot of oil (which i see normal if you rev it), mostly stuff like "stay away of the petrol VAG engines, better buy a diesel". openweb.vip/whatsapp-web/ https://19216801.onl/ routerlogin.uno/

I tested one that had a little tuning (stage 1, unknown hp, decatted pipe i think) and it felt really nice, but was at under 5k euros and seemed suspicious.

Also i want to mention that it will be a daily drive, some weekends will do 500km roadtrips (student in another city), and maybe later modify & tune it.

Thank you my issue has been solved,...

Well there was a problem with the timing chain, huge problem, so all i can say is if you are going for a 1.4, then go for the 120hp and not the 160, just to be on the safe side, and make sure it's at least a 2011 model, that seems to be when they changed the chain they used, the earliest chain seemed to be tested only barely on a 120hp model, probably assuming a chain would last way longer than a belt (which normally is true), but the chain was a cheap piece of chinese crap, and developed micro tears which stretch the chain and make it go out of sync, til eventually it snaps and your whole engine is a dump, a mate of mine who happens to be a vw mechanic owns a 2009 golf with the same 160hp tsi engine and he had to replace the chain every 50.000 km, other than that it's a quality piece of car, i heard some people talk about the air-conditioning breaking down but only rarely, and have not had that problem myself..

I cannot speak for the 2.0 models, but as for the tsi engines, 120hp and no earlier than 2011, and you should be good, also i dont know where you are from, but i imported my 2011 scirocco from germany, for exactly 10k and 800 bucks import taxes, with just over 71.000km on the clock, and belonged to an old lady (not a joke), and had all of the paperwork (very important)
Especially since the paperwork will show you if they used the proper oil, which is castrol, and not some cheap stuff that can also break your chain.. So yes I'd say it's very much possible, but mind you that my car was a 1 in a million find, patience is key and every 100.000km change the timing chain regardless
I hope that was enough info, it's about as short as I could make it

On 14/07/2020 at 10:59, kingsman1 said:

Well there was a problem with the timing chain, huge problem, so all i can say is if you are going for a 1.4, then go for the 120hp and not the 160, just to be on the safe side, and make sure it's at least a 2011 model, that seems to be when they changed the chain they used, the earliest chain seemed to be tested only barely on a 120hp model, probably assuming a chain would last way longer than a belt (which normally is true), but the chain was a cheap piece of chinese crap, and developed micro tears which stretch the chain and make it go out of sync, til eventually it snaps and your whole engine is a dump, a mate of mine who happens to be a vw mechanic owns a 2009 golf with the same 160hp tsi engine and he had to replace the chain every 50.000 km, other than that it's a quality piece of car, i heard some people talk about the air-conditioning breaking down but only rarely, and have not had that problem where am i 192.168.8.1
myself..

I cannot speak for the 2.0 models, but as for the tsi engines, 120hp and no earlier than 2011, and you should be good, also i dont know where you are from, but i imported my 2011 scirocco from germany, for exactly 10k and 800 bucks import taxes, with just over 71.000km on the clock, and belonged to an old lady (not a joke), and had all of the paperwork (very important)
Especially since the paperwork will show you if they used the proper oil, which is castrol, and not some cheap stuff that can also break your chain.. So yes I'd say it's very much possible, but mind you that my car was a 1 in a million find, patience is key and every 100.000km change the timing chain regardless
I hope that was enough info, it's about as short as I could make it

waiting for reply..