Danno

Beading

38 minutes ago, Rwagon said:

Nice Beads!

My Partner proper wants an RS3 to replace our Scirocco R. Do you mind if I ask what you think of it and what car you came from? We also have a 7.5R estate, obviously the RS3 is the nice car in all ways but are they worth twice the price? 
Without slating your car, I feel the interior isn't up to scratch for £45-£50k car, do you also think the same? 

Id like to add, I've only been in an S3, but I'm assuming they are similar inside, but with some added alcantara. 

Thanks

I came from a mk7 estate to the RS , mine is a facelift model so in terms of chuckability and handling there isn't much between it and an R . But its all about the engine with the RS3 , puts a smile on my face every time I start it (warm starts are even more ridiculous than cold starts with the RS exhaust option).

I get what you mean about the interior, I looked for ages to get one with the right options and one of them was the SuperSports seats they really lift the looks on the interior. Not as nice as the Recaro seats in the mk1 RS3 but a big improvement over the standard seats. The biggest letdown on the interior is the Infotainment system, its not dissimilar to the VW setup but with the lack of a touchscreen it just makes everything a little more fiddly , the facelift models do get Google maps integrated into the nav system as standard and the virtual cockpit is very nice to use. There are quite a few options on the interior for the RS , mine has the carbon trim pack which replaces the plastic interior trim and it also has the extended upholstery pack which gives you leather and alcantara on the transmission tunnel.

23 minutes ago, Count Drunkula said:

I came from a mk7 estate to the RS , mine is a facelift model so in terms of chuckability and handling there isn't much between it and an R . But its all about the engine with the RS3 , puts a smile on my face every time I start it (warm starts are even more ridiculous than cold starts with the RS exhaust option).

I get what you mean about the interior, I looked for ages to get one with the right options and one of them was the SuperSports seats they really lift the looks on the interior. Not as nice as the Recaro seats in the mk1 RS3 but a big improvement over the standard seats. The biggest letdown on the interior is the Infotainment system, its not dissimilar to the VW setup but with the lack of a touchscreen it just makes everything a little more fiddly , the facelift models do get Google maps integrated into the nav system as standard and the virtual cockpit is very nice to use. There are quite a few options on the interior for the RS , mine has the carbon trim pack which replaces the plastic interior trim and it also has the extended upholstery pack which gives you leather and alcantara on the transmission tunnel.

Thanks for replying! It would be a facelift we would be looking at if we were to go ahead. I do really love the look of them and of course the noise they make is unreal! 

I have to agree on the SS seats, they are in my friends S3 that I mentioned being in. Agree that Virtual Cockpit is nicer than the Active Info in the 7.5. 

I'm 90% onside with the swap, I love the noise, the fact it's not a 4pot, big brakes, look amazing and practical but I can't get passed the price for what is an A3 underneath (again, don't mean to slate your car, sorry). 
We very nearly pulled the trigger on a new M2 in September after a full day of test-driving (Im a BMW man at heart), but we both agreed that the 2 series interior and lack of sound (S55 engine never sounded good and now with PPF does not sound how a 400hp 6 banger should!!!) trumped the serious smile gland awakening ability the car has, for the 10% of the time you're on it. 90% of the time its a stiff 2 series. hmm!

On 11/11/2020 at 10:26, Rwagon said:

Thanks for replying! It would be a facelift we would be looking at if we were to go ahead. I do really love the look of them and of course the noise they make is unreal! 

I have to agree on the SS seats, they are in my friends S3 that I mentioned being in. Agree that Virtual Cockpit is nicer than the Active Info in the 7.5. 

I'm 90% onside with the swap, I love the noise, the fact it's not a 4pot, big brakes, look amazing and practical but I can't get passed the price for what is an A3 underneath (again, don't mean to slate your car, sorry). 
We very nearly pulled the trigger on a new M2 in September after a full day of test-driving (Im a BMW man at heart), but we both agreed that the 2 series interior and lack of sound (S55 engine never sounded good and now with PPF does not sound how a 400hp 6 banger should!!!) trumped the serious smile gland awakening ability the car has, for the 10% of the time you're on it. 90% of the time its a stiff 2 series. hmm!

Interesting thoughts on the M2

I was planning earlier in 2020 that would be my next car. It’s a simple cabin...a bit like the 7R....so that was a tick for me. It felt quite a bit smaller than my 7R tbh.

Your assessment of the M2 mirrors mine. It’s a real drivers car especially for some circuit use but it’s ability to deploy 400bhp to the rear on UK roads in our lovely winter climate is limited.

For me I’ll look towards a nice used FL RS3 next or even the new shape M340 in a good spec used.

Ive yet to try a 981 Cayman so that’s also on my list.

3 minutes ago, Msportman said:

Interesting thoughts on the M2

I was planning earlier in 2020 that would be my next car. It’s a simple cabin...a bit like the 7R....so that was a Rick for me. It felt quite a bit smaller than my 7R tbh.

Your assessment of the M2 mirrors mine. It’s a real drivers car especially for some circuit use but it’s ability to deploy 400bhp to the rear on UK roads in our lovely winter climate is limited.

For me I’ll look towards a nice used FL RS3 next or even the new shape M340 in a good spec used.

Ive yet to try a 981 Cayman so that’s also on my list.

Im glad I'm not the only one, haha! 

I think what I'm going to do is, when the weather gets a bit warmer swap the Rocco for a non Comp, LCI M2 and keep my 7.5R wagon. I do still love the M2, but not enough to warrant the cost of a Comp. 

I also really like an RS3 as does my partner but I cannot, no matter how hard I try, justify the price of one. Especially now that 10k mile 2018 M2s are down to £30k-£34k, with strong residuals so on the ticky ticky they are very affordable.

8 minutes ago, Rwagon said:

Im glad I'm not the only one, haha! 

I think what I'm going to do is, when the weather gets a bit warmer swap the Rocco for a non Comp, LCI M2 and keep my 7.5R wagon. I do still love the M2, but not enough to warrant the cost of a Comp. 

I also really like an RS3 as does my partner but I cannot, no matter how hard I try, justify the price of one. Especially now that 10k mile 2018 M2s are down to £30k-£34k, with strong residuals so on the ticky ticky they are very affordable.

2018 M2....just on the cusp of Comp ?

The Comp’s are coming easily into my budget. £36-£38k bags you a half decent one....they seem slightly cheaper than FL RS3.

A45S way over priced even per Reg with Aero....non aero sub £50k.

At least I’m still smitten with my modded R which makes me smile especially when I look at oomph v £ 😀

LCi M2’s are great value now.....never tried the early M2.

7 minutes ago, Msportman said:

2018 M2....just on the cusp of Comp ?

The Comp’s are coming easily into my budget. £36-£38k bags you a half decent one....they seem slightly cheaper than FL RS3.

A45S way over priced even per Reg with Aero....non aero sub £50k.

At least I’m still smitten with my modded R which makes me smile especially when I look at oomph v £ 😀

LCi M2’s are great value now.....never tried the early M2.

Yep, last of the non Competition. 

Comps are still circa £450pm where as a late LCI is circa £300pm. The Comp didn't make me fall in love with it, like my old M140i did, I think its purely down to the sound. I think an LCI is as new as I want to go for an M2, latest until the new one comes out with the S58. I was about to pony up for a new Comp but lost the buzz after the test drive. 

I don't think A45s is over priced, the tech that car has is crazy! It's defiantly expensive and it isn't where I'd put my money, but I don't think it's over priced. 

It's a 4 cylinder and for me it doesn't matter how good or powerful the car is, 4 pots are boring, at least cars this side of 2005 are! 

FL RS3 is the dream, I just can't swallow the price! That is a car that I think is over priced. Compared to A45s it has an old (but amazing) engine, old Halex AWD, old tech inside, and loves to understeer. Yet some how I still want one??? 
The next RS3 might be a game changer...

2 hours ago, Rwagon said:

Yep, last of the non Competition. 

Comps are still circa £450pm where as a late LCI is circa £300pm. The Comp didn't make me fall in love with it, like my old M140i did, I think its purely down to the sound. I think an LCI is as new as I want to go for an M2, latest until the new one comes out with the S58. I was about to pony up for a new Comp but lost the buzz after the test drive. 

I don't think A45s is over priced, the tech that car has is crazy! It's defiantly expensive and it isn't where I'd put my money, but I don't think it's over priced. 

It's a 4 cylinder and for me it doesn't matter how good or powerful the car is, 4 pots are boring, at least cars this side of 2005 are! 

FL RS3 is the dream, I just can't swallow the price! That is a car that I think is over priced. Compared to A45s it has an old (but amazing) engine, old Halex AWD, old tech inside, and loves to understeer. Yet some how I still want one??? 
The next RS3 might be a game changer...

I think it will to.

I don’t disagree on the tech on A45S but I’m not into digital dash boards tbh. 
The fancy rear diff is for show boating.

It’s a good car but the new £56k I think is still too high as you said for a 4 pot hatch. 
New M2 will be interesting as will new RS3 but these cars are getting ridiculously priced . 

Like you say great lump in the RS3