simonj67

Mk8 R 330 BHP??

15 minutes ago, DaveGrohl said:

Power isn't for everyone but it actually does make quite a difference to a car,

I’m happy with mine as standard. But I’m Older.   And it’s not yet a year old. Can see tho that standard would be a bit tame after stage 1 - like going back to a GTI from an R. 😀

12 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Indeed... 18" are standard (pretty much like the R)

image.thumb.png.8bb43ac9fb3fc74699e54c30255416c6.png

Then if you choose adaptive.....

image.png.3ff94f01142b5521e54e2ea763d1cfcc.png

then change the wheels to 19", and the configurer removes the adaptive.....

image.png.f35a58ee30fbd389a32fbd27cd47a0bd.png

Crazy as you probably need adaptive with the 19" (like the R).

That is strange - surely on harder riding 19"s is when you'll need adaptive! Unfortunately on the new M135, 18" looks like sofa castors as the car is so high (always think it's an X1 from the photos). And front-biased xDrive...it's just like any another Cupra, Golf R, S3, A35 etc. If they kept it RWD it would have some distinction.

4 hours ago, keano said:

I’d rather they put a detuned 5pot in there than push for 400 - could have the rs3 engine out the mk1 rs3 as that was around 330ish from memory

Truth is the R doesn’t need more power really....

A detuned 5pot from the RS3 would be an awesome move by VW...but it'll never happen unfortunately. Mainly because of where the S3 fits into their portfolio of hot hatch offerings. And heaven forbid the equivalent premium-option Audi has worse performance than the counterpart standard-choice VW.

Basically it would be this:

I rarely use full-power in my R, but always nice to know it's there. Like I'd never use 700hp in an RS6, but good to know I have the red-button to a missile under my right foot.

Oh but it does......

I struggled to bond with my mk7 for at least a year after my mk6 even though it had more power, mostly due to my first experience of DSG. I mean I did like it but I wasn't really smiling driving it. Then I got a tuning box and pedalbox and my attitude to the car changed for the better. I was smiling at last. Then a year later I went to Unicorn who put it up to 375 bhp and 400 lbft. Since that day three years ago I've had the most massive grin on my face every single time I go out in it. Power isn't for everyone but it actually does make quite a difference to a car, and this is the Golf R forum after all.

Etto and all that but in my view if you think the R doesn’t have enough power then you’re driving it on the wrong roads [emoji23]

352fd2954694bb83125b4bdee4ce73e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ETTO indeed. And I'm nudging into the senior category these days. My own first proper car seemed like a proper weapon when I got my hands on it; 205 GTi 1.6. What a magic roller skate that was. Then I got the 1.9 and couldn't believe cars could get any faster LOL.......

@DaveGrohl and @keano you are both right (in my opinion).

There is always a need for more power, having driven since early 80's and mainly had a mix of big car (big cc 6 cyl plus types) and little car (hot hatch types of all descriptions).

over that period the increase in available power has been very noticeable.

to me though the key thing is the amount of useable power, the power you can get on to the road in shortest time possible and keep it there through UK tight technical roads.

i would hazard a guess that in the U.K a high proportion of high BHP cars are owned and driven in the south of the country. Of these I would again hazard a guess that none (or very rarely) are driven on fun technical roads (Wales, dales, northern Scotland, etc) where you have very tight bends followed by lovely straight sections into another long sweeping bend etc.

those drivers likely enjoy that high BHP on the m1, m4, m25, A303 etc, additionally in areas that have high traffic density which means unless you go out late at night or early morning you simply cannot open the car up and let it breathe n come alive.

for the MK8, I hope VW spend development time looking at the handling (body flex, steering, tyres, suspension etc), throttle response (remove need for pedal box), gear response to throttle, brakes and indicators. Only after they have sorted the handling, application and control of power should they consider increasing the BHP (marketing figure).

simply putting large BHP in a car without sorting the above is pointless.

also for some (possibly a high number) mapping etc can be a placebo effect, I know people that have driven cars they thought were mapped etc but where not and could not tell the difference.

personally, there is a lot of " Dude i mapped my car to 400bhp, I can now drive fast on dual carriageways and win at the lights etc", with bugger all thought on handling, bugger all thought on tyre choice, they don't understand (or even wish to) driving dynamics and the actual physics behind keeping car on road and getting most out of it.

yes add more power, potentially more cyclinders (or capacity) but fix the other stuff first and then improve it so we can enjoy and exploit that extra power.

22 hours ago, DaveGrohl said:

What's the point of all these renders exactly? VW are the ones that count. Not having a go btw.

Just Forum fodder....:lol:....They are all over social media and the internet in general...Just another discussion topic I guess and there is a lot of interest as to what a new car...(Golf R or otherwise)....is going to look like before its actual "official" release...That's the point...:smiley:

On 17/02/2020 at 22:03, JayR said:

That new R doesn't look bad on the outside, it's the inside that concerns me. 

No physical buttons, gesture controls? Err no thanks il stick to a knob 😂 

Thats been my stance all along, with it likely that the pumped up performance styling will have the MK 8 look decent enough, but there is no looking past that interior

- first mess up was reinventing the wheel, the Touareg has a lovely sweeping display so why not copy that? The media unit looks bolted to the side and creates a mass of piano gloss due to the partition. 

Have moved from a MK 7 to a MK 7.5 and actually really like the upgraded media unit in terms of clarity but definitely finding that having to look more to ensure 'touching' the right buttons, and often brush the phone selection while seeking Radio - But I still have a good selection of physical buttons so its something that cope with - However the MK 8 is all touch and gesture and fail to see how you cannot find yourself looking at the area to touch opposed to the road. 

Saving my biggest dislike till last, the losing of the DSG lever, that satisfying action as you move from D to S to Manual, - replaced by a soulless knob thing, yuk!! 

I really, really dislike the interior of the MK 8 and so happy that ended up in a run out MK 7.5 

Looks like the new S3 and Cupra will have 306bhp, guessing the Golf will be the same. More of an evolution than a massive change.

12 minutes ago, BobbyT said:

Looks like the new S3 and Cupra will have 306bhp, guessing the Golf will be the same. More of an evolution than a massive change.

See previous discussion in this thread, around 5 Feb.