smokeR

Shes grey and stealthy....

Evening folks,

Just home from picking up the new car, looking forward to learning some tips  from you guys n girls. Going great so far! Coming from an Bmw M240 is was worried it wouldnt quite 'be enough' but its a totally different beast. The way it corners and launches.... makes me smile from ear to ear. 

Couple of pics while clean! 

20200129_212812.jpg

20200129_212853.jpg

20200129_191958.jpg

Lovely looking R. Congratulations from a fellow new owner. 3 weeks in and still grinning and going by most on this forum, that never goes away!

Enjoy the first few miles and good luck keeping it that clean for long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello. Congratulations on your new R. Good choice!  Looks lovely Indium & Spielbergs...nice.   How are you finding it?  Lots on here to help you get and give the best to your R.  Lots of help too when needed.  And sometimes when not😂

Look forward to hearing of your findings and exploits.

Hope you Keep smiling too.  

8 hours ago, smokeR said:

Evening folks,

Just home from picking up the new car, looking forward to learning some tips  from you guys n girls. Going great so far! Coming from an Bmw M240 is was worried it wouldnt quite 'be enough' but its a totally different beast. The way it corners and launches.... makes me smile from ear to ear. 

Couple of pics while clean! 

20200129_212812.jpg

20200129_212853.jpg

20200129_191958.jpg

Stunning looking R Jamie....Congrats and Welcome to VWROC...:welcome:🖤:afro:

Welcome, very nice car. Mine is similar but it's a mark 7, limestone grey on 19" Pretoria's. Only have it since before Christmas and I absolutely love it. Personally think grey is the nicest colour on them.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

What a nice warm welcome! Think ill take my coat off and stay. 

The R is a real little cracker. Wet and raining here today - no fear though, felt the pure mechanical grip of an amazingly well set up chassis...lift off into a corner the car tightens its line and pulls itself round, then with a squeeze of the fun peddle we have four wheel drift! 

The choice for the R was partly influenced from my first love of cars - an gunmetal grey Mk2 8v with big bumper upgrades. All factory fit ... was an amazing car. We have come a long way since then though!

Only negative is the use on the stick in manual more - did they put it in back to front! Wish there was a coding solution to make pulling back gear lever change up a gear instead of down. I see the logic of pushing up is changing up......but i ask you!! All other cars i have driven are the opp to VW. Hey ho.

Oh and the throttle needs some adjustment...even in race the first couple of inches of travel dont do  lot. (thats what she said)

But all else is great so far!

Welcome to the forum, and it's a beauty in indium grey. And yeah these cars are easy to tune and stuff if that's what you mean by throttle adjustment. I'm running a high torque (420lb ft) APR map. But also if you get VCDS or similar you can also switch throttle response between two options, 'Gradual, controlled by time' and 'Direct, controlled by threshold'. Well, you did say you were looking for some tips, and after 20 months with mine I have a few :D

On 30/01/2020 at 18:21, smokeR said:

What a nice warm welcome! Think ill take my coat off and stay. 

The R is a real little cracker. Wet and raining here today - no fear though, felt the pure mechanical grip of an amazingly well set up chassis...lift off into a corner the car tightens its line and pulls itself round, then with a squeeze of the fun peddle we have four wheel drift! 

The choice for the R was partly influenced from my first love of cars - an gunmetal grey Mk2 8v with big bumper upgrades. All factory fit ... was an amazing car. We have come a long way since then though!

Only negative is the use on the stick in manual more - did they put it in back to front! Wish there was a coding solution to make pulling back gear lever change up a gear instead of down. I see the logic of pushing up is changing up......but i ask you!! All other cars i have driven are the opp to VW. Hey ho.

Oh and the throttle needs some adjustment...even in race the first couple of inches of travel dont do  lot. (thats what she said)

But all else is great so far!

Yes the DSG stick is counter intuitive!  But that’s what’s paddle extensions or replacements come into their own and you’ve sorted that.  

For the dead throttle response in the first inch or so of pedal travel, then you should look at a pedal box which sharpens the throttle response in relation to driver inputs noticeably.  There are many threads on pedal boxes on the forum if you do a search, the numb pedal response is a very common complaint especially on DSG cars which suffer DSG lag anyway, but fitting a pedal box largely resolves the issue. Most who have fitted pedal box (self included) find it makes a huge difference and they are highly customisable with plenty of settings.  Look at DTUK pedal boxes as a starting point.