dannyv24

insurance help needed

41 minutes ago, dannyv24 said:

The work ihave just had done was the r600 intake system,r600 intake pipe ,r600 turbo inlet pie , apr short shifer kit, new bake disc and pads ,braided lines ,ecs bleeder bock and Dogbone/subframe mount insert

Apart from the intake,I wouldn’t consider the rest to be mods.More on the maintenance side.

21 minutes ago, Clarkie48 said:

Apart from the intake,I wouldn’t consider the rest to be mods.More on the maintenance side.

With respect, it doesn't really matter what you/we think. Most insurance companies would consider those as mods (if you can get them to understand what you have done!) and many other innocuous sounding things can be considered by some companies as mods too...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/107964/car-modification-impact-on-insurance-cover-revealed

4 minutes ago, dannyv24 said:

i keep getting told anything that isn't standard needs to be declaired and is a mod

That's very much the case.

if you don't declare and are found with mods fitted, then the insurance company can void you policy.

a lad I worked with was an assessor, he saved his company a fair bit on payouts over things like undeclared alloys etc.

It's one thing having to stump up for your own car repairs, but another thing paying for someone else's car or property.

around here the DVSA and police seem pretty hot on checking over cars (mainly looking for stolen and county lines stuff), they can also check if mods declared.

Insurance is risk based,  not declaring mods is also risk based, guess who carries all the risk though....

i keep getting told anything that isn't standard needs to be declaired and is a mod

So did you just get these fitted without checking if your insurance company allows mods? Then found out they don’t so they cancelled your policy? Anything not standard is a mod, simple as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insurance is risk based,  not declaring mods is also risk based, guess who carries all the risk though....

Not declaring mods is stupid - end of.
Deserve everything you get, at the end of the day it’s fraud.

1 minute ago, slider09 said:

Not declaring mods is stupid - end of.
Deserve everything you get, at the end of the day it’s fraud.

A lot of it is revenue making though. I mean come on, brake pads and discs. If you dont have OEM you have to declare? If they are of same spec or better than oem then it's a no from me.  Its akin to changing your oem Bridgestone tyres to Michelin ps4s or your vw wiper blades to Bosch. 

I've changed my battery from oem EFB to AGM bosch, should I tell the insurance.

There are mods (which affect performance or desirability, therefore and increase in risk) and there is maintenance. 

A lot of it is revenue making though. I mean come on, brake pads and discs. If you dont have OEM you have to declare? If they are of same spec or better than oem then it's a no from me.  Its akin to changing your oem Bridgestone tyres to Michelin ps4s or your vw wiper blades to Bosch. 

There are mods (which affect performance or desirability, therefore and increase in risk) and there is maintenance. 

In the last 6 months I’ve changed brake discs for MTEC grooved, changed standard Cadiz for Pretoria reps and fitted a JB4. I checked FIRST with my insurance company what the impact would be.

1. Different brakes - no change
2. Aftermarket wheels - £24 REDUCTION
3. JB4 - £50 Increase.

These are annual prices.

2 minutes ago, slider09 said:

In the last 6 months I’ve changed brake discs for MTEC grooved, changed standard Cadiz for Pretoria reps and fitted a JB4. I checked FIRST with my insurance company what the impact would be.

1. Different brakes - no change
2. Aftermarket wheels - £24 REDUCTION
3. JB4 - £50 Increase.

These are annual prices.

That seems about the norm. 

Reps are cheaper to make and replace. 

Brakes, you have changed the spec from original so therefore a mod and jb4 was around the same as what I was quoted when I queried it, think £42 from memory. 

7 minutes ago, jrw said:

It's all a big pain and really insurance call centres do not know.

Having bought a few cars from new and having to declare options underlined just how broken the system is.

it should be VIN based for new cars.

for used, 90% of buyers would not know, those that did would likely not declare unless major mods.

simply fitting winter tyres is reportable for some insurance companies, for some you don't need to inform, for some you inform but no price increase (some actually go down)

personally i declare unless it's something like a battery, tyres, stuff that is expected to be used during x years of driving, I include brake pads in that as well.

1 minute ago, Gavras said:

It's all a big pain and really insurance call centres do not know.

Having bought a few cars from new and having to declare options underlined just how broken the system is.

it should be VIN based for new cars.

for used, 90% of buyers would not know, those that did would likely not declare unless major mods.

simply fitting winter tyres is reportable for some insurance companies, for some you don't need to inform, for some you inform but no price increase (some actually go down)

personally i declare unless it's something like a battery, tyres, stuff that is expected to be used during x years of driving, I include brake pads in that as well.

Options is just a money spinner. 

For eg when I bought my r the winter pack was an option. A month later it was free. Same with nav etc. 99% of none car nuts wouldn't know. 

My 64reg Octavia, it's only because I know the bloke who specced it and ordered it what was standard and what wasnt that I knew what was and wasnt an option. 

Elephant say they wont pay out for options not declared and just replace with standard but I think it's just baloney as I am willing to bet that the manufacturers themselves wouldn't know for a 5 year old car. 

A body shop will just fill in a quote form off the insurance system with part numbers and unless something looks massively suspicious like a big turbo, air ride or the like it will get approved or written off. 

More specifically, if the accident isn't your fault they are unlikely to investigate the particular wing mirror cap colour on your car or the 90% tinted glass you have instead of the standard 60% or your pop out reversing camera (another one that was standard for a while) as they aren't paying for it anyway. 

24 minutes ago, jrw said:

Options is just a money spinner. 

For eg when I bought my r the winter pack was an option. A month later it was free. Same with nav etc. 99% of none car nuts wouldn't know. 

My 64reg Octavia, it's only because I know the bloke who specced it and ordered it what was standard and what wasnt that I knew what was and wasnt an option. 

Elephant say they wont pay out for options not declared and just replace with standard but I think it's just baloney as I am willing to bet that the manufacturers themselves wouldn't know for a 5 year old car. 

A body shop will just fill in a quote form off the insurance system with part numbers and unless something looks massively suspicious like a big turbo, air ride or the like it will get approved or written off. 

More specifically, if the accident isn't your fault they are unlikely to investigate the particular wing mirror cap colour on your car or the 90% tinted glass you have instead of the standard 60% or your pop out reversing camera (another one that was standard for a while) as they aren't paying for it anyway. 

Yes up to a point options are a con, however I don't want to have to pay a higher price for a car that has stuff I don't use or actually hate. I like the option of choosing my options, which at times reduces my monthly costs by say £50.

its the declaring of these options that is broken and underlines what fuckwits the car insurance industry is.

it becomes even murkier with used, however as mentioned asserors can and will reject claims, lad I work with saved his insurance costs where the car had undeclared 20" wheels, standard was 18-19".

not as common now but a mate had his claim rejected as he had alloys fitted, stock car had metals with trims.

its all wank but depends how lucky you feel and amount of personal financial risk you are happy to have.

7 minutes ago, Gavras said:

Yes up to a point options are a con, however I don't want to have to pay a higher price for a car that has stuff I don't use or actually hate. I like the option of choosing my options, which at times reduces my monthly costs by say £50.

its the declaring of these options that is broken and underlines what fuckwits the car insurance industry is.

it becomes even murkier with used, however as mentioned asserors can and will reject claims, lad I work with saved his insurance costs where the car had undeclared 20" wheels, standard was 18-19".

not as common now but a mate had his claim rejected as he had alloys fitted, stock car had metals with trims.

its all wank but depends how lucky you feel and amount of personal financial risk you are happy to have.

I dont mean dont have options,  I mean it's just a money spinner for insurance. 

3 hours ago, jrw said:

I dont mean dont have options,  I mean it's just a money spinner for insurance. 

Definitely, the insurance industry is not fit for purpose.

the fact that within the same company, different call centres and even individuals give widely differing premiums / costs for new, used or new car options or mods simply underlines that.

when I was with Admiral, there was a £100 difference in premium between Welsh call centre and Canadian one, with the latter giving a cheaper quote.

even the house insurance side of things is simply unfit.