Bernie

Dsg Oil Service

What have people paid for the dsg oil change on their R? Is £199 a good price? The price is from the stealers

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

For me the dsg service as a diy is only worthwhile if your going to be doing a few of them.
£199 at the dealer although make sure that includes a filter.

DIY last one I did cost £100 for 6 litres of genuine oil and genuine filter and a new drain plug and level snorkel.
Very easy to do although to do properly you need the pump to refill the the gearbox through the drain plug which cost about £70
Then you need some form of diagnostic equipment line obdeleven or vcds to check oil temp to get the correct level.

Not doing it this way can cause more problems than not doing it in the first place.

For me the dsg service as a diy is only worthwhile if your going to be doing a few of them.
£199 at the dealer although make sure that includes a filter.

DIY last one I did cost £100 for 6 litres of genuine oil and genuine filter and a new drain plug and level snorkel.
Very easy to do although to do properly you need the pump to refill the the gearbox through the drain plug which cost about £70
Then you need some form of diagnostic equipment line obdeleven or vcds to check oil temp to get the correct level.

Not doing it this way can cause more problems than not doing it in the first place.

I bought a DSG service kit off eBay, around £80 (can’t remember exactly but no more than £85). 6 litres of VW fluid, filter and drain plug. Turns out the seller was a VW dealer (VW Lancaster IIRC).

You don’t need the pump to fill up, you can use the ‘top fill’ method; ie you fill through the filter housing on top of the gearbox.

I used OBDEleven to check temperature before pulling the drain plug to set the correct level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always done mine about 30k or 3 years.
Which is why I said unless you’ve got more than one to do is it worth the hassle for diy.
Most people will only do their own car once and have a new car by the time it’s due again.

3 hours ago, Booth11 said:

Official frequency for change of oil is at every 40k miles.  Mine’s at just over 30k but I’m going to do it early and have the oil and filter changed next month. 

I did mine at 26k & 4 years, felt bit smoother afterwards! 

1 hour ago, GrayMK7R said:

I did mine at 26k & 4 years, felt bit smoother afterwards! 

Yes that was I was thinking, that it would benefit a bit in terms of smoothness. I’ll be in the car a good while yet so might as well get it done now and enjoy a bit improvement it might bring.