Sign in to follow this  
Wolfr7.5

Dropped a screwdriver

Alright lads... as the title suggests i dropped a screwdriver while tightening my intake hose. I cannot for the life of me find the bloody thing. 

i have only looked from the top of the engine bay, not from underneath yet, will jack it up when i get the chance.

i was tightening the clamp which holds the hose to the inlet elbow, i thought i would be able to find it... but really who knows where its gone.

guess my question is, anything it can damage? 

Been there, done that lol

I personally would not run my car until I removed it, just encase. Although belts, fans, etc are at the front/left of the car, you don't know if it will move around when operating the car. 

Remove the splash guard from the underside and no doubt it will drop out.   

I agree with JRock_247, you'd have to be unlucky for it to get caught up on something, but if it did catch on a driveshaft or something it could do some serious (and expensive) damage.  If you still can't find it after another quick look, buy/borrow a "snake camera" and do a thorough inspection.

4 hours ago, Wolfr7.5 said:

Alright lads... as the title suggests i dropped a screwdriver while tightening my intake hose. I cannot for the life of me find the bloody thing. 

i have only looked from the top of the engine bay, not from underneath yet, will jack it up when i get the chance.

i was tightening the clamp which holds the hose to the inlet elbow, i thought i would be able to find it... but really who knows where its gone.

Yep you need to find it.

many moons ago a mate working on his brothers car ripped open his forearm.

he did on a scriber his brother had dropped a while back.

his brothers comment of 'oh so that's where it went' did not go down well lol.

On 10/02/2020 at 11:57, Wolfr7.5 said:

Where are you based mate? 
a good starting point would be a strong telescopic magnet pen. It might not hold it hard enough to retrieve all the way but you may find it locates it so you can squirm down and get it.

Update:

ended up hoisting up

the car At a mates shop, and looking from under the car.. even took

the splash guard off, we were looking for a good hour, scoping ever possible hole, we couldn't see it, so id say its fallen out.

there are heaps of holes for it to fall

threw, just feel bad if it fell out on the road.

Damn intake hose and my butter fingers! 

3 hours ago, Wolfr7.5 said:

Update:

ended up hoisting up

the car At a mates shop, and looking from under the car.. even took

the splash guard off, we were looking for a good hour, scoping ever possible hole, we couldn't see it, so id say its fallen out.

there are heaps of holes for it to fall

threw, just feel bad if it fell out on the road.

Damn intake hose and my butter fingers! 

The amount of things i have dropped over the years.......i've found them all (bar one) and retrieved them - if not through from jacking the vehicle up and removing the under tray, then with a magnet on a stick.

A favourite place for stuff to hide is the top side of the subframe - there are lots of crevices in there and stuff can get stuck around the steering rack. The other is the bumper lip just under the radiator.

The only time i couldnt find summit was a small socket - but it turned up later in the day, as i heard a clang whilst driving and through my rear view mirror saw something shiny bouncing down the road :D