Jump to content
Chrisimogen08

Theft paranoia

Recommended Posts

Hiya- pick my first golf r up on Saturday and since ordering almost everybody I’ve spoken to says I’m nuts to buy one as house will be broken into within a week I live in a nice part of greater Manchester- car will be garaged most of time and misses will be using it more than Me - just wanted to know other owner’s experiences - am I being scaremongered or is this a real concern - thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It happens no matter what car you own.

 

just some cars attract more attention, for example Ford Fiesta and Ford Focus are magnets for them.

 

take sensible precautions.

 

there is a good thread on here about house security.

 

edit: 

 

 

 

probably 90% cars are stolen by house burglary.

 

lock snapping be one of main means of entry.

 

above all enjoy your car.

 

oh and welcome to forum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah gonna take precautions hence emptying the garage on Friday : got 2 boxer dogs which helped when they came for my mk 1 focus RS which - dogs scared em off - got a guy fitting some lights as well - just letting people get in to my head telling me I’m crazy to buy one - f##k it I’m getting it anyway 😁😁thanks for the reply 

Edited by Chrisimogen08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Chris. I'm also from Manchester (southern manchester). Get a small steering lock and never turn into your local roads being followed. They seem to be popular cars to steal around Stockport. If you have a second car, block the golf / garage area off with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chrisimogen08 said:

Hiya- pick my first golf r up on Saturday and since ordering almost everybody I’ve spoken to says I’m nuts to buy one as house will be broken into within a week I live in a nice part of greater Manchester- car will be garaged most of time and misses will be using it more than Me - just wanted to know other owner’s experiences - am I being scaremongered or is this a real concern - thanks 


Welcome along Chris!  Hope the worry over theft is not marring you looking forward to getting the car.  
 

As with certain other cars there’s a risk of theft, but for every documented R theft case on here (pretty much all house break-ins for keys) and near miss R thefts, there’s at least dozens and dozens of Rs that remain in the rightful possession of their owners, so it needs to be viewed with some degree of balance.  
 

As Gav has signposted, have a look at the very helpful suggestions and recommendations in the security thread he linked to, especially note those from owners who have had attempted thefts but the thieves were deterred by the security setup as that’s proof of effectiveness.  
 

Hopefully with some choice precautions, regular garaging and your dogs as live security, you’ll have some peace of mind and can enjoy the car without constantly worrying.  GAP insurance is a good idea too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! Yes, this is of course a concern that every owner has at some point or another. Take sensible precautions, but don't obsess, would be my advice!

 

For me, I had the anxiety before I even decided on getting this car. I had to talk myself into buying it - I was putting way too much emphasis on the concern that such a desirable and well known car was too big a risk, and I should get a car less tempting to thieves/vandals/ 'would be' hothatch joyriders :D

 

But a mate of mine assured me that we only live once - as far as we know, and it's just a risk you got to take lest live the rest of your life in fear. There are too many things outside of our control that are pointless to waste time worrying about!

 

Enjoy your new car

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chrisimogen08 said:

Thanks for advice what will be will be . Feel a bit happier that it will be garaged . Need to stop fearing the worst and crack on . Picking it up from Yorkshire of all places ..... wish me luck 

 

Yeah, just be careful when crossing the border! 😕

 

Hope everything goes ok with the collection.

Should be absolutely fine if garaged, as low-lifes always look for (what they perceive as) easy targets.

Have to keep things in perspective.

The majority of R owners don't garage their cars and most of those have never had a problem.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2020 at 20:06, Chrisimogen08 said:

Hiya- pick my first golf r up on Saturday and since ordering almost everybody I’ve spoken to says I’m nuts to buy one as house will be broken into within a week I live in a nice part of greater Manchester- car will be garaged most of time and misses will be using it more than Me - just wanted to know other owner’s experiences - am I being scaremongered or is this a real concern - thanks 

To reduce some of your worries, check the link below.

 

if you go through the shear number of cars, vans stolen from beginning  Jan to now, you will see 2 Golf R, however a multitude of Fiesta and Focus, also more Abarths and other makes. A huge number of cars are nothing special, they are just a collection of parts to sell or be used to repair written off cars. 

 

https://m.facebook.com/stolencarsmidlands/

 

obviously different areas of the country may differ slightly, however just owning a big standard car is concern enough. It must be a nightmare for Fiesta and Focus owners as they are targeted more than anything else.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get a Disklok and keep the key separate to your car keys. Forget all the modern tech etc - except maybe Autowatch Ghost - nothing deters a thief like a big, hefty chunk of hardened steel on the steering wheel - you can get a cover as well to protect the steering wheel from the Disklok. I’ve seen footage of some scum eyeing up an RS6 - right up to the point they spot the Disklok and walk away.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/02/2020 at 21:27, Balal_R said:

Welcome Chris. I'm also from Manchester (southern manchester). Get a small steering lock and never turn into your local roads being followed. They seem to be popular cars to steal around Stockport. If you have a second car, block the golf / garage area off with that.

 

I got my R pretty much 2 years ago whilst we were living in Hazel Grove and 2 months after that we had an attempted break in (lock snapping on our back door). The noise woke me up (one benefit of being a light sleeper!) and switching the landing light on made them scarper. Our street was possibly fairly unusual in that it was a quiet street with entrances at both ends, but no access to any other streets so no traffic other than people coming to our street. 

 

I think we had been considering moving anyway, but I am not sure if that subconsciously made the decision a bit easier, we were sold up and out within about 4 months of that happening.

 

Our new house is further out towards Buxton. I still park on the drive, but its better lit and on a busier road and I haven't been as concerned although I still try and leave the keys downstairs as I'd rather not get into confrontation over something replaceable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Poshphil said:

 

I got my R pretty much 2 years ago whilst we were living in Hazel Grove and 2 months after that we had an attempted break in (lock snapping on our back door). The noise woke me up (one benefit of being a light sleeper!) and switching the landing light on made them scarper. Our street was possibly fairly unusual in that it was a quiet street with entrances at both ends, but no access to any other streets so no traffic other than people coming to our street. 

 

I think we had been considering moving anyway, but I am not sure if that subconsciously made the decision a bit easier, we were sold up and out within about 4 months of that happening.

 

Our new house is further out towards Buxton. I still park on the drive, but its better lit and on a busier road and I haven't been as concerned although I still try and leave the keys downstairs as I'd rather not get into confrontation over something replaceable. 

A lot of the low life scum are targeting more rural areas, sort of a view of them being soft spots, - crime is low therefore security is often low.

 

If I remember right, West Midlands police put something out about increase of thefts in Warwickshire and other rural non city locations was due to Birmingham / Wolverhampton etc gangs targeting these low crime areas.

 

there was at least one delivery driver nicked last year who was making note of cars and houses.

 

Amazon delivery driver as your recce person is ideal.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just bought a Golf R and recently our neighbourhood has been targeted for cars with majority being houses broken into for the keys and with every single one the locks were snapped.

I've just gone down the deterrent route so Disklok always on, anti snap locks and powerful floodlight.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...