Zeddicus

How to get my perfect Mk7 R...

Hi All,

I've just signed up 👋 and was hoping to be able to pick your brains in advance of buying an R in early 2021 (currently in a leased Audi until Mar 21).

My background is that I am a total petrol head - a day isn't complete without fantasy shopping for my next car, reading the reviews etc.

I've had a Mk 7 Golf GTD in the past and have always wanted to get an R. After a few years in leased cars, I've decided I'm going to buy a R when the current lease is up.

It'll be used during the week mainly as a station car, hence wanted something that wasn't too big (although I still miss the sound of the Volvo V8 I used to have, especially on cold startup!) but still needs to have the kids in the back on occasion. Its mainly going to be for fun at the weekends and the odd work trip during the week.

I actually have a preference for the Mk 7 over the Mk 7.5. This is mainly driven by budget as I don't want to spend more than £15-£17k next year, but also as I don't like the pure touchscreen interface of the new Discover Nav. Some friends of mine have newer VAG products which have the touchscreen and its just a pain on journeys (their words).  Its a shame as I do like the look of the virtual cockpit, but on balance I'd rather have buttons!

I've listed out below my ideal spec for the R and I haven't actually seen a car in the last few weeks that has ticked every box. I wanted to get some advice as to what features could be retro-fitted (easily and relatively cheaply - I know that virtually anything is possible if I throw lost of money at it, but I'd prefer not to do that on top of buying the car!).

My starting position is a manual box and definitely not white! My ideal colours would be Black, Silver or Grey (in that order) followed by Red and then Blue.

I'd also like to have the following:

DCC

Panoramic roof

Leather (heated)

Big screen Nav

Reversing Camera

In an ideal world the leather seats would have electric adjustment, but I'm not even sure electric seats were offered in the R? I've never seen one with it specc'd in the last few years!

I'm not fussed on the wheel size.

My guess is that the larger screen nav and the camera can be retrofitted - presumably requiring a new fascia for the nav and some VCDS coding for the camera? - but the other 3 have to be on the car when I buy it. I know I could retrofit leather, but that would fall into the "throw money at it" category...?

It'd be nice to have Dynadio, heated windscreen, high beam assist etc, but they are not essential for me, over and above the already great std Mk 7 spec, of course, which I enjoyed when I had my GTD.

Any help and advice appreciated, also if I've left something off my spec list that you folks would choose to spec, having owned the car.

Also, if any of you are thinking of changing your car in around 12m time, let me know! I'm happy to start a conversation early...

Finally, I'm not fussed on mileage - as I plan to own the car for a while and will be doing relatively low mileage, I'm happy to take on cars with upto 70kish miles, as long as the car has been cherished and properly looked after.

Thanks

Z

Good luck finding a used R Mk7 with a manual box and DCC. I looked for 6 months on various websites for exactly that combination and found only one in that time, which had been sold by the time I enquired about it. I’m not saying it is impossible but be prepared to Be patient. Hope it works out for you. 

Just now, Trekkkie said:

Good luck finding a used R Mk7 with a manual box and DCC. I looked for 6 months on various websites for exactly that combination and found only one in that time, which had been sold by the time I enquired about it. I’m not saying it is impossible but be prepared to Be patient. Hope it works out for you. 

Thanks Trekkkie, as I browse most car buying sites daily, I also know they're like hens teeth! Hence I'm seriously putting some feelers out early and will be willing to buy a bit earlier than the end of the lease for the right car. Interestingly, there have recently been 2 come up on AT - a blue one with DCC, leather, dynaudio, big screen nav, camera but no sunroof at £18.3k in blue (sold), and one in silver at a similar price without the camera but with the roof that's still for sale. A bit too early for me to buy, unfortunately...

Leather is to personal taste.  It’s ok but a dear option from new. I paid £1750:for mine, then £600 for electric memory Driver  only Seat. Only with Leather option.

Depending on were you live and your car lives, Climate screen very useful. No wires like other Quickclear screens. £300 factory option.  Reverse Camera very handy, heated seats fit nicely.

19” Pretoria Alloys are the Thing for some, £1000 option new, but you can get Replicas for around £500 for Four.  One replacement OEM Pretoria likely cost £800 EACH.  Heart vs head stuff here.

Apple CarPlay Android auto a useful addition. 
Personally did not get DCC or Dynaudio or Pano roof. All are well liked and desired. 

Make sure you budget for some added security measures to keep your R yours.  You can spend a very long time looking if you stick rigidly to a desired spec.  Some of the options are very rare - Memory Seat, Climate screen are such.  Any colour looks good if you stare at it long enough.  Remember you could be out driving and enjoying a less than ideal spec car, rather than needle in haystack games.

Good luck in your search. Always ask for help etc on here - saves inventing and re inventing wheels.  Please feedback with where you end up.😀

Thanks @NRW, some great advice and a great shout on the climate windscreen - I can't remember how many trains I've missed through having the clear the car first!

Yours sounds like a great spec, especially in black!

Just to double check, are the larger screen nav and rear camera retrofit items? My BiL can fit them as he's an auto electrician but he wasn't sure if it was just a VCDS recode to get them working (camera) or if its more complicated?

44 minutes ago, Zeddicus said:

Thanks @NRW, some great advice and a great shout on the climate windscreen - I can't remember how many trains I've missed through having the clear the car first!

Yours sounds like a great spec, especially in black!

Just to double check, are the larger screen nav and rear camera retrofit items? My BiL can fit them as he's an auto electrician but he wasn't sure if it was just a VCDS recode to get them working (camera) or if its more complicated?

I have read on here that some owners have had camera retro fitted by VW Dealer, or very competent diy (not me tho). White Golf on here today where owner has retrofitted big Nav and Digital dash to a mk7! .

Try a search on here about Helix in lieu of Dynaudio - very interesting.

I learned from another Owner/ Regular the Climate screen is a laminate of a conductive material, so no wires, no smeary screen and the whole thing heats.  Heated seats, mirrors and screens must put a drain on a battery/ alternator...haha, but all very nice and quickly taken for granted.  Tbh, much of the time I tend to use the seats and have the general car temp quite low, in winter - just my preference.

Not sure if retrofitting a Climate screen is possible/ financially  viable, unless maybe doing it at the time a damaged screen was being replaced..  you really have to want it to go to these lengths.

I spent a very long time choosing my spec, and could have ticked more boxes.....but had to rein myself in, not having bottomless pockets!  I don’t think a 7.5 R has a poor standard spec to start with....  Think you have to decide the spec and colour you absolutely must have as a minimum - then start searching, knowing what you can/can’t add over time.... but you’ll likely as not mod it anyway!
Stay keen to get one. Have a drive or two, try DSG too.  That might persuade you to consider a compromise here or there😂?

Enjoy all the learning, and best of luck with your search😀

Thanks for that @NRW. I think I shall move the climate windscreen to my 'list', and probably one that isn't an easy retrofit. So its basically panoramic roof, DCC and climate windscreen that are on my 'must haves' with the large screen nav and reversing camera on my list as items I could retrofit if necessary, along with the Helix set up if I decide I need it. Leather would be nice, but TBH, I did like the standard cloth seats of my GTD, so I could probably live without it especially as the kids are a bit older now and unlikely to be in my car for long journeys (there's been "no eating in Daddy's car" since they were born!!)

Don't rule out a DSG car Zeddicus.....Just drive it in manual mode using the gearshift lever....(or paddles)...DCC is a must..so are 19 inch Prets...I too wanted a Pano roof but to be honest would hardly ever use it...and its a lighter and stronger car without it...When I bought my car it was the perfect spec for me....Loved it then and still love driving it now even many mods later....and more mods to come...I drive mine in race mode usually in "manual mode".....after having driven manuals for years..I would never go back....One of the best things about the R is you can drive it so many different ways depending on the situation....Stage 1 tune highly recommended too.....I'm currently 375 bhp and will be 400 plus soon....Great car stock, but even better after a remap....Got my favourite colour too...Deep Black Pearl....Best of luck in your search....if you have any other questions ask away and we will do our very best to help...:smiley:

Pic of my R below for your reference....:)

My Golf R Feb 2020 9.jpg

I just picked up a Mk7 with a manual box, DCC, sat nav, pan roof, full leather, Pretoria's, only option it didn't have was dynaudio, but it took me 2 -3  months to find 1 

Snapchat-357421259.jpg

Edited by Andy_87

2 minutes ago, Trekkkie said:

DSG suits some people and certainly give it a try, but then make the right choice😉

Have you factored in the costs of replacing the stock clutch?

just be aware you may buy your perfect car then have to replace the imperfect manual clutch.

personally I would prioritise the list.

things such as reversing camera should come right at back of the list.

similar with VW leather, it's a bit cheap and tacky. 

Also so put a firm line on your top limit or spend the time saving to increase it.

5 hours ago, Gavras said:

personally I would prioritise the list.

^^^ This. And then compromise somewhat if the near perfect car comes along.

Else you'll be waiting over a year to find the right spec car! Still, if your lease is up in March 2021, that will give you long enough to find your perfect spec lol. 😉

59 minutes ago, Trekkkie said:

Have you factored in the cost of a mechatronic unit replacement? Or the extra cost of the car in the first place.

just saying

There was me thinking forums where for offering advice etc, however obviously some new members come along without the need for any advice etc.

was by no means a slate on manuals, merely an observation since you came from low power diesel to higher power car, you may have not been aware of the issue with the stock R clutch, obviously you are.

please take my humble forgiveness.