Jump to content
CG7R

Just bought a Golf R, a few questions!

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

I recently bought a 65 Plate Golf R 5dr Manual. Love the car, spent a long time looking for a well optioned car (Pan Roof, Prets, Vienna Leather, Winter Pack and most importantly Lapis Blue! 

 

Car came with full VW history but at 66k there is no record of the Haldex oil being done. So I took it to my local garage for some warranty work which isn’t related but I asked them to change the haldex oil and the filter. Unfortunately they didn’t listen to me on the phone and just did the oil no filter clean... oh well. Only charged me £20 though as I supplied the oil.
 

When the roads are very wet when launching the car will briefly light up the front wheels in 1st gear, and get a bit of wheel juddering before it gains traction. No slip in second however. Is this normal? Ive never had an AWD car before so not sure how they behave. Is there any other way to check this? I do have access to a lift at work so thought about lifting it slightly and seeing if the rears are actually doing anything!

 

Next thing, compared to my last car which was a 2015 Mini Cooper S the engine sounds very “Whiney” that makes sense. To the point it’s almost embarrassing to rev at a standstill because it sounds like a washing machine. Seen a few videos on YouTube that suggests this is just a quirk to the R? A friend has just bought a new T Roc R and she let me have a rev, sounds quite similar to mine.

 

Thanks in advance, any tips/advice appreciated. 😃
 

 

FB25CEC0-08F3-460A-A468-DEF1134633DD.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had my haldex done last week at a vw specialist, I have had the car 3 weeks and never experienced wheel spin once even in the wettest of conditions, I would suggest getting the filter took off and cleaned this was my filter with only 19k miles on it 

received_190613072043038.jpeg

received_203378691021432.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Andy_87 said:

I had my haldex done last week at a vw specialist, I have had the car 3 weeks and never experienced wheel spin once even in the wettest of conditions, I would suggest getting the filter took off and cleaned this was my filter with only 19k miles on it 

 

Mine looked similar at only 15,000Km (9,000 miles).  Was still getting drive from the rear.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mines just been in for its service at 3 years old and 27000 miles. I got them to change the oil for the haldex mainly for the service history. When the weather gets better in the next couple of months I will be giving it another oil change myself and cleaning out the strainer so that I know it's been done properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi. Congratulations beautiful lapiz blue. Mines manual too. It should never ever spin. I can launch in 1st, 2nd, doesn't matter it never spins in any gear. 

 

I started getting the same light up as you and wheelspin October last year. The car was at 65k miles. The haldex had 'gone'. sorry, I'm not mechanically minded, they just fixed it for me at VRS Northampton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you need the pump gauze filter cleaning and then reset using a scan tool.

Just cleaning the filter may not cure the problem. The pumps stop working should they become starved of oil. This is when most garages will tell you your pump has failed, when in fact it just needs a reset.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oov said:

Hi. Congratulations beautiful lapiz blue. Mines manual too. It should never ever spin. I can launch in 1st, 2nd, doesn't matter it never spins in any gear. 

 

I started getting the same light up as you and wheelspin October last year. The car was at 65k miles. The haldex had 'gone'. sorry, I'm not mechanically minded, they just fixed it for me at VRS Northampton. 


Thanks, how much was it to fix? I’m going to leave it at the moment and get it booked into JKM Portsmouth in summer. The car still has enormous amounts of grip around roundabouts and fast corners just lights up the wheels in the wet on launch... although it had PS4S all round so that might be making me feel like I have AWD😂 I might try the haldex update/reset first.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CG7R said:


Thanks, how much was it to fix? I’m going to leave it at the moment and get it booked into JKM Portsmouth in summer. The car still has enormous amounts of grip around roundabouts and fast corners just lights up the wheels in the wet on launch... although it had PS4S all round so that might be making me feel like I have AWD😂 I might try the haldex update/reset first.

 

I think it was just something simple to fix, I wish I could elaborate but I left it in their hands. I'm pretty sure they didn't charge me anything apart from labour, my car was actually already in for other work being done on it. I think they discovered the issue when they were test driving it.

 

I, like you, had thought it was the wet roads causing the spin and light to come on. But after they fixed it, it doesn't matter how wet the road is, it doesn't lose grip, And that's at stage 2 with 420lb ft torque. 

 

Has yours got the stock clutch? I switched to a paddle clutch because I was occasionally getting slip. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...