Jump to content
NRW

329:bhp Arteon R engine

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Charles M said:

I'd be quite tempted by the Shooting Brake ..... if it isn't stupidly priced. Which I think it will be. 

That should be quite a Tool, yes.  Big tho.
Maybe one to buy after a year or so, ‚Äúex management car‚ÄĚ ?ūüėÄ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good spot Neil and proof this 329bhp engine does exist. ūüĎć That really will set the cat amongst¬†the pigeons if they do actually fit it to the Golf as suggested in the article given the S3 and Seat Cupra Leon both get a 310bhp unit.

 

Also a bump of torque to 450Nm which would make it the same as the new M135i.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sequence said:

And now the VW R brand goes to shit every model now seems to be getting an R maybe if we are lucky we will get a Sharan R!!! 

 

Yep i've hated this with the 'R-line'...but now its got worse with real R versions, not just look alikes.


'A new Touareg R is also due to arrive in 2020.'

'R' stands for race - so how the hell does that fit with a massive ugly Touareg tanker sized boat - i'd like to see that cornering hard on a race track.

 

As ya say i wouldn't now be suprised if they come out with a Sharan R - with foldable sport seats and launch control.

 

I blame fat SUV's for all this nonsense - all because the average artard, for some god knows what reason, likes to feel like they're driving a bus.
Why? - why does that feel better, being sat up right like ya on a booster seat.

 

I've never understood that. Do ya feel safer? - because you're not, ya less safe in reality. That gargantuan sized vehicle is more likely to roll, more likely to spin, more likely to loose control than the equivalent lower centre of gravity hatchback....and if you think it's massive outer body offers you more protection - it doesn't, its mostly just full of air and made to look fat (look at the doors on an SUV, absurdly wide and just full of air)

 

But this is what now sells, so sporty versions of it are appearing with high output engines - and so the trend continues of extending ya top racing brand into massive boat sized cars, making super sports versions of things where its just ridiculous.

 

Don't get me started on crossovers, they're even worse (just a raised up hatchback with a fat body kit and no extra interior space whatsoever) - but ya get that coveted bus driver seating position.

 

Ahh i best end this rant now, as i could go on all day! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, blower said:

 

Yep i've hated this with the 'R-line'...but now its got worse with real R versions, not just look alikes.


'A new Touareg R is also due to arrive in 2020.'

'R' stands for race - so how the hell does that fit with a massive ugly Touareg tanker sized boat - i'd like to see that cornering hard on a race track.

 

As ya say i wouldn't now be suprised if they come out with a Sharan R - with foldable sport seats and launch control.

 

I blame fat SUV's for all this nonsense - all because the average artard, for some god knows what reason, likes to feel like they're driving a bus.
Why? - why does that feel better, being sat up right like ya on a booster seat.

 

I've never understood that. Do ya feel safer? - because you're not, ya less safe in reality. That gargantuan sized vehicle is more likely to roll, more likely to spin, more likely to loose control than the equivalent lower centre of gravity hatchback....and if you think it's massive outer body offers you more protection - it doesn't, its mostly just full of air and made to look fat (look at the doors on an SUV, absurdly wide and just full of air)

 

But this is what now sells, so sporty versions of it are appearing with high output engines - and so the trend continues of extending ya top racing brand into massive boat sized cars, making super sports versions of things where its just ridiculous.

 

Don't get me started on crossovers, they're even worse (just a raised up hatchback with a fat body kit and no extra interior space whatsoever) - but ya get that coveted bus driver seating position.

 

Ahh i best end this rant now, as i could go on all day! :D

We did have the R50 which was a bit of a beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, AlexDB said:

We did have the R50 which was a bit of a beast.

It was ghastly and pointless, which was reflected in its UK sales.

 

again, great for for those dickheads that tow caravans at 90mph.

 

try driving it as a performance vehicle in twisty UK roads.

 

lost count of the number of times been stuck behind a performance SUV when driving up to Anglesey or down to South Wales etc.

 

I am with @blower on the use of the R badge.

 

i don't however mind the Arteon going to full R, at least its car shape and would also increase the tech and quality for the R brand. Hopefully they also change the suspension setup and tune it, otherwise it's a fail.

 

i do not like shooting brake idea though, style over substance.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, blower said:

 

Yep i've hated this with the 'R-line'...but now its got worse with real R versions, not just look alikes.


'A new Touareg R is also due to arrive in 2020.'

'R' stands for race - so how the hell does that fit with a massive ugly Touareg tanker sized boat - i'd like to see that cornering hard on a race track.

 

As ya say i wouldn't now be suprised if they come out with a Sharan R - with foldable sport seats and launch control.

 

I blame fat SUV's for all this nonsense - all because the average artard, for some god knows what reason, likes to feel like they're driving a bus.
Why? - why does that feel better, being sat up right like ya on a booster seat.

 

I've never understood that. Do ya feel safer? - because you're not, ya less safe in reality. That gargantuan sized vehicle is more likely to roll, more likely to spin, more likely to loose control than the equivalent lower centre of gravity hatchback....and if you think it's massive outer body offers you more protection - it doesn't, its mostly just full of air and made to look fat (look at the doors on an SUV, absurdly wide and just full of air)

 

But this is what now sells, so sporty versions of it are appearing with high output engines - and so the trend continues of extending ya top racing brand into massive boat sized cars, making super sports versions of things where its just ridiculous.

 

Don't get me started on crossovers, they're even worse (just a raised up hatchback with a fat body kit and no extra interior space whatsoever) - but ya get that coveted bus driver seating position.

 

Ahh i best end this rant now, as i could go on all day! :D


This.

 

Rant away blower, it needs to be said!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

But this is what now sells, so sporty versions of it are appearing with high output engines - and so the trend continues of extending ya top racing brand into massive boat sized cars, making super sports versions of things where its just ridiculous.

 

 

Haha. Can’t say I’m seeing too many T-Roc R’s when I’m out and about.......

ūüėÄ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NRW said:

Haha. Can’t say I’m seeing too many T-Roc R’s when I’m out and about.......

ūüėÄ

 

I've still not seen one yet!

 

2 hours ago, Gavras said:

i don't however mind the Arteon going to full R, at least its car shape and would also increase the tech and quality for the R brand. Hopefully they also change the suspension setup and tune it, otherwise it's a fail.

 

On the plus side of the new R models, there will be a bigger community growing here on VWROC. Also, I agree, I really like the Arteon, think it looks wicked, so R styling and performance will be cool. Will it compete with the RS3 Saloons / RS5s, M4s, Giulias, C63s etc? I think those cars run higher power...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be a controversial opinion here, but why shouldn't cars like the Arteon, Touareg etc be offered with a performance engine? Audi do it, so do BMW, why not VW? Having driven numerous SUVs as rentals, I quite like driving them. What has always made cars a non starter for me is the lack of a good engine. 

 

Don't get me wrong, I love my Golf R, and it's much more fun to drive round country lanes than an SUV, but as I spend a lot of time driving A roads, motorways and through towns, a good SUV with a performance engine offers a great mix of practicality and fun IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might be speaking from a bias position, but I think it's superb that VW are expanding the R range. 

 

Imagine if VW Rs can match up against some the S and RS cars in the Audi range. This would be brilliant. An Arteon R, the T-Roc R (despite the awful name) makes perfect sense.  The Tiguan R - yep. I'm liking that idea too. 

 

I had utter distain for the R-Line range. This is how VW should have gone. Now if they could bring back the Rocco R with AWD and a Polo R, we'll really be in business! 

 

Well done VW! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NRW said:

 

 

Haha. Can’t say I’m seeing too many T-Roc R’s when I’m out and about.......

ūüėÄ

Potentially due to the Tcock being utterly wank.

 

had one as a courtesy car for a few days, horrendous inside.

 

putting a faster engine is just making a shiny turd.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

√ó
√ó
  • Create New...