CG7R

Mk7 Golf R Clutch Rattle noise and delay engaging.

Hi all,

My Golf R manual is on 67000 miles, I don’t know it’s history regarding clutch replacements as I’ve only had it a month but feels like a standard clutch, very light and easy to use. 

Occasionally when I start the car up (obviously have to depress the clutch to do this) when I release the clutch with the car in neutral theres a loud rattle/clunking sound which goes away after the initial engagement (2 seconds). It doesn’t rattle continuously idle, just that initial moment after staring. If I release the clutch slowly/ not immediately after starting it doesn’t do it... Any ideas? Clutch isn’t slipping.

Also find there’s a massive delay when shifting through gears, almost feels like turbo lag. Eg going from 3-4th, release the clutch completely and there’s a second before it actually goes! 

Thanks,

Cam

The delay is likely due to the clutch delay valve slowing the return of the clutch pedal to its 'up' position. Easy mod to do yourself. Also ou can take off the clutch return spring, a 2 minute job. Its a chunky spring that actually pulls the clutch pedal down to assist drivers with sparrow sized left legs.

Rattle might be the clutch thrust bearing, which is a box out job, at which point you might as well put a new, uprated clutch in. That will deffo sort out you lazy clutch return and transform your car, trust me.

The clutch spring is attached to the pedal. You have to get a bit upside down to see it/get to it, but comes off really easily with no collateral damage.

Hope that helps!

11 minutes ago, Andygo said:

The delay is likely due to the clutch delay valve slowing the return of the clutch pedal to its 'up' position. Easy mod to do yourself. Also ou can take off the clutch return spring, a 2 minute job. Its a chunky spring that actually pulls the clutch pedal down to assist drivers with sparrow sized left legs.

Rattle might be the clutch thrust bearing, which is a box out job, at which point you might as well put a new, uprated clutch in. That will deffo sort out you lazy clutch return and transform your car, trust me.

The clutch spring is attached to the pedal. You have to get a bit upside down to see it/get to it, but comes off really easily with no collateral damage.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! Will have a look into the delay valve. 

I have been looking at new clutches, specially Sachs Organic. I do occasionally track the car, and drive it hard. But it’s also a daily that I drive 45 miles every day in so don’t want to loose any drivability... don’t mind the pedal being slightly stuffer just don’t want judder or harsh engagement...

If you are going down the clutch replacement route the RTS clutch seems to be a very good option from owner reviews gives a better and more oem feel than the sachs or helix kits. 

Well, this seems to be solved then ;) Mines a Sachs but it's a sintered paddle, I think 4 paddles, It's really heavy at first, but your leg muscles strengthen over time, and over time it noticeably feels less heavy too. You'll ache at first, but then now after 5k miles I don't ever even notice it.

It often squeals like squeaky brakes when you pull away, which is... interesting, being that it's a sound associated with braking, but I'm fond of it now. It's all worth it as it just never slips no matter the load, it's such a strong grip. It's crazy :wub:

Thanks everyone, 

Until the standard clutch starts slipping I’m not going to do anything about it. Il just have to release the clutch a bit slower after starting to avoid the rattle. 

RTS Clutch does look like a very good option. Really want to keep the oem drivability of the car, and definitely don’t want any squealing or juddering! 

I'd do the no cost options I mentioned earlier. At the mileage you have, the clutch is deffo due a look at, the improvements i mentioned might just give you a few more miles.