Misskbxoxo

how do you clean your tailpipes?

Just curious to know how you clean your tailpipes? products used etc. I haven't really got round to doing mine since I got my car. 

Thanks!

Edited by Misskbxoxo

15 minutes ago, Fukmeitsdamo said:

Just wheel soap and Britemax twins but only number 2.  However I did remove them last year and polished with da then sealed 

Oh sweet, do you use micro fibre to clean them? I’ve seen so many videos and different items used I’m not sure which is highly rated😌

I use a wheel woolly for the inside and a old wash mitt. If there really dirty spray with a strong apc or wheel cleaner. There not chrome there stainless. If that don’t shift it try 0000 grade wire wool and autosol or simlar. If your really anal about them remove and polish them on your dining table 

I’ve used Autosol after recommendations on here, works pretty well. Mine can’t have been cleaned by the previous owners and they came up pretty well without much effort with the Autosol

My usual method is - spray with ValetPro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner (diluted 1:8, it’s great on tailpipes as well as wheels), and let that dwell whilst I snow foam the rest of the car. Then after rinsing everything, at the bucket wash stage, I use a big size Wheel Woolie rotating it inside each pipe to remove as much soot and dirt as possible.  Then I wash the outside of the pipes with a dedicated wash mitt and my usual bodywork shampoo mix.  After rinsing and drying the car, I use Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish (despite what it says on the tin, it is perfectly safe to use on chrome - the exhaust tips are chrome plated) applied with either a foam wax applicator or a thin microfibre, work into any remaining soot deposits and then buff off with a clean microfibre and a final buff with a plush fluffy microfibre. That sees mine right!   Sounds a lot but doesn’t take long as part of the normal washing regime (just a few mins overall) and keeps them in great condition.  I’ve previously used Autosol and Britemax metal polishes, but ime, Mothers polish knocks spots off both.  

Mothers Mag and Aluminium Polish - Amazon

If you have very baked on carbon then you might need to use extra fine grade 0000 steel wool alongside a decent metal polish, like Mothers, but be very careful with the outside of the pipes as even fine steel wool will scratch the chrome.  I find that even on stubborn carbon deposits, Mothers polish and elbow grease pays off and no scratching.  

There’s lots of other products that different members favour and have success with, and there’s lots of threads on this subject, if you search on this forum for cleaning tailpipes/exhaust tips etc in the detailing section you should find the info.

The key to it is, getting them clean and then little and often to keep on top of them.  

Autosol here, to shift anything that a mesh covered ‘bug shifter’ sponge won’t move. Rather than trying to get it completely clean in one go, I tend to apply autosol then buff off, in repeat cycles. Anything stubborn and the Dremel with polishing attachment comes out. But wear eye pro to avoid fling; autosol and corneas don’t mix well

I must drive too gently - if they aren't very dirty I just give them a wipe over with a dry paper towel.  If they are a bit dirty (but that doesn't mean they have caked on gunge) I just wet a paper towel with the leftover wash water and it all comes off.  But I do clean them frequently and I don't do many miles.

2 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

I must drive too gently - if they aren't very dirty I just give them a wipe over with a dry paper towel.  If they are a bit dirty (but that doesn't mean they have caked on gunge) I just wet a paper towel with the leftover wash water and it all comes off.  But I do clean them frequently and I don't do many miles.

You need to put your foot down in race mode more often😆

Spray wd40 on them, leave for 15 minutes. Wipe off, then autosol with wire wool to get them proper clean. Then another spray wd40 to protect the metal. 

Keep them clean often, and you won't have to much bother.

Just curious to know how you clean your tailpipes? products used etc. I haven't really got round to doing mine since I got my car. 

Thanks!

Oven Mate for me, slide them off, paint the gel on, wipe off when all carbon is loose.. so easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree they look awesome clean, especially with other chrome / aluminium trim, and although I wash my car pretty regularly, I stopped bothering with the pipes lately. 

Mainly because I used a product that caused them to go cloudy, that was some few thousand miles ago and I'd sponge them but not bothering much effort, and they were still a bit cloudy. But they've started to blacken while still cloudy, and I'm fine with it. Looking used is fine by me atm. 

One benefit of wltp is the tips don’t get anywhere near as dirty the pre-wltp.

I just give them a wipe these days as that’s all they need.

Autosol is what I used for my mk7 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not big issues with my. current car. Last tho got a bit manky.  Used v. fine grade steel wool / autosol, after wheel cleaner and washing with regular shampoo. Them Mothers Mag & Alloy Polish which is smooth to use.   Once you get them clean....little and often is all that’s needed.  ELBOW GREASE works magic.