hi guys i was washing my car last week and noticed a crack in the sunroof surround i rang the dealer i bourt the car from and they are going to take it in and hopefully replace it ,i am abit nervous about the work as i have read its a big job and maybe all the roof has to come out etc has anybody else herd of this ?

i hardly use the car its only done 1500 miles its still like new so i would like it back in the same condtion

any thourts??

mark

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All sorted having been 1 week away/ in the shop.  ( Did a big service too on the last day) I have to thank Lookers Wimbledon for their excellent customer service.     

I think he protests too much... I await the unveiling of his new Turd-Roc R in brown Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Not keen then Gav?

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, madmark said:

hi guys i was washing my car last week and noticed a crack in the sunroof surround i rang the dealer i bourt the car from and they are going to take it in and hopefully replace it ,i am abit nervous about the work as i have read its a big job and maybe all the roof has to come out etc has anybody else herd of this ?

i hardly use the car its only done 1500 miles its still like new so i would like it back in the same condtion

any thourts??

mark

It’s not uncommon unfortunately.  This recent thread over on the gti forum might be of interest and use to you, plus it has links to other occurrences of the issue.  

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=cqlfite4hprha7tar9ga0b4dp1&topic=286255.0

Best of luck with the dealer sorting it out. 

• 3 months later...

right update on the sunroof surround crack issue finally the car has to go in for the warranty work and a overdue service on 13th june because of the covid but the miles is still low at 1800 so i cant see any issues with that ,i am told its a big job to sort the roof i just hope it comes back ok it has put me off of having another car with a sunroof tho,

mark

7 hours ago, madmark said:

right update on the sunroof surround crack issue finally the car has to go in for the warranty work and a overdue service on 13th june because of the covid but the miles is still low at 1800 so i cant see any issues with that ,i am told its a big job to sort the roof i just hope it comes back ok it has put me off of having another car with a sunroof tho,

mark

Is this the gloss black trim that sits between the top of the windscreen and the opening part of the roof?  If so then my Passat CC developed a few hairline cracks (almost like the spider cracks in fibreglass); it was a complete roof replacement, under warranty!  I was told VW got a bill for nearly £4k. 

FWIW the roof was fine afterwards with no creaks or leaks. 

12 hours ago, madmark said:

mark

Fairly common issue, I’ve seen posts from TCR owners with the same thing in cars which are barely a few months old. But it was sorted under warranty and back to as new

Interestingly, VW have changed the design of the sunroof for the mk8 Golf - the fixed surround panel that seems to be susceptible to the hairline cracks no longer extends along the sides of the roof panel that opens. The sunroof design in the mk7 / mk7.5 can be seen in the third picture of the third post in the thread at the link below;

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/26582-whats-the-point-in-a-sunroof/

And this is the different design of the mk8 sunroof - the fixed (non-opening) panel is now just a strip of glass or plastic between the top of the windscreen and the front of the opening section of the roof - it doesn’t extend back along the sides of the opening section. So the areas that have been prone to cracking have been removed with the redesign. The sunroof in current Polo also has the revised / redesigned version. 

F05DF5C8-A822-4FD5-9995-CA92B8A8E5F4.jpeg

Hi, How is the replacement going?

Have you got it back yet? If so, hope all is well and sorted.👍

I can vouch for the fact it's a fairly big job.

Had my Pan Roof frame replaced last year under warrenty, due to the constant creaking noise it was making. It was fitted 'slightly pissed in the factory!!'😦🤠

This involved removing the black surround, which involved windscreen out, headlining out etc... etc....😱 Apparently the black surround is bolted and bonded to the roof structure.......

When you get it back, check for any interior damage, scratches etc..... and get the hose out, and check for any leaks.....

Let us know how it goes, and hopefully you're soon be back out enjoying your R again.👍 

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, madmark said:

hi drR they have given me a t-cross r-line its not a bad motor its better than the up they were going to give me lol

Feel for you, I had a T-Cock last year when I had my car serviced.

they are ugly as shit, pointless, crap interior.

then what do the make an R version, a fast turd is still just a turd.

on the sunroof thing,  I have my car in for service today, it has a quality / recall against it for the panoroof and surround.

this time round I decided to risk 3 hours at dealers than them inflict me with another bloody T-Roc turd.

8 minutes ago, Gavras said:

Feel for you, I had a T-Cock last year when I had my car serviced.

they are ugly as shit, pointless, crap interior.

then what do the make an R version, a fast turd is still just a turd.

on the sunroof thing,  I have my car in for service today, it has a quality / recall against it for the panoroof and surround.

this time round I decided to risk 3 hours at dealers than them inflict me with another bloody T-Roc turd.

Not keen then Gav?