Msportman

My next car

If you can afford it, why not? If you have to borrow lots, then I wouldn't personally bother, not least as one's tax bill over the next few years will be at a a higher rate than it has been recently. But hey, that's just me, and I have an aversion to borrowing.

I'm toying with the idea of a "sensible" C43 AMG Estate, unless I go mad and go for a C63 one instead! 

V8 R8 is slower than a stage 2 R, especially as they can suffer from carbon buildup on the intakes (affects them worse than turbo cars). I've seen dyno plots as low as 350bhp with no other issues apart from carbon buildup.

Few other things that put me off;

road tax, fuel consumption, no back seats, old tech (head unit).

OK as a weekend toy but not an everyday car IMO.

1 hour ago, Fukmeitsdamo said:

Work colleague has one of these (not convertible) low mileage weekend car and has just had to get the tiptronic box refurbished. Done as a Homer/ independent and was all of 6k! Manuals the way to go unless you go up a year to the PDK ones. Turbo doesn't seem to be bothered with the bore scoring issues either. No IMS bearing issues from 2008 either I think. 

I would love an R8 but the V8's really don't feel that quick, and the V10's are expensive for consumables and running costs.

Great looking cars but personally I wouldn't be looking to buy any sort of car at the moment with how volatile the market is.

Just putting it out there.

V10 is what floats my boat.

Love the presence of them and overall ownership package.

Ive also been looking at a couple of Porsche’s.

Nothing happening till this virus situation passes. My R will be with me for sometime as a few more plans happening with that.

13 hours ago, Msportman said:

Just putting it out there.

V10 is what floats my boat.

Love the presence of them and overall ownership package.

Ive also been looking at a couple of Porsche’s.

Nothing happening till this virus situation passes. My R will be with me for sometime as a few more plans happening with that.

I find the r8 to be a big tt with a fancy gear stick. A ttrs would be a better bet with much lower running costs 

2 hours ago, Fukmeitsdamo said:

I find the r8 to be a big tt with a fancy gear stick. A ttrs would be a better bet with much lower running costs 

You may be right on running costs.

Still think whatever TT you opt for it has that certain image which maybe a bit unfair but it’s stuck with the car over the year’s.

The R8 is a bespoke specially developed platform and now the V10 has really become affordable when you consider a good v10 is cheaper than a A45S which although cheaper to run is still a hatchback.

Another car I’ve always had the itch to own is a early NSX or a Cayman R.

Wow, literally thinking of trading my 17 R owned from new only 15k on the clock for a r8 v10, but has to be s tronic, i drive a van all week so will be a daily for the missus, as you can tell we dont do many miles a year so im thinking it would be a great daily/lovely weekend out car.

anyone owned a 14/15 s tronic v10 r8

cheers.

I had a Golf R with tuning box back in 2015. Since then I’ve had a few different cars, including my previous car which was a Porsche 991.2 Carrera 4S. I also had a mk3 TTRS and missed it so much I’ve just gone back to one. I’m back in love again. 

If seriously considering a previous gen R8 then I would strongly recommend a drive in the latest TTRS. The engine is honestly frankly ridiculous for the money, it sounds incredible, goes like stink and has one of the best interiors around. You can pick one up with low miles now for £35-38k. A simple remap gets them to 60/100mph in 3.0s/7.1s.

Testers criticise the handling at 10/10th’s and some understeer, but on the road I’ve never experienced it. It just grips and goes and feels much lighter on its feet than the mechanically similar RS3. 

Try one out, what have you got to lose...!