Sign in to follow this  
CG7R

Mk7 R Manual bad clutch release bearing?

Hi Everyone, 

Been having an issue with my manual 65 Plate Golf R. Occasionally when I start the car when I release the clutch pedal (not touching the gears in neutral) to let it warm up there’s a quite violent rattling/clunking sound that lasts for 5-10 seconds that goes away once the clutch is depressed again. 

A few of my more knowledgeable mechanic friends are 99% Sure this is the clutch release bearing.

Is this a big job? Current clutch is not slipping whatsoever and feels fine. But considering upgrading to a RTS clutch whilst changing the Release Bearing.

How much should I expect to pay for JUST the release bearing? I wouldn’t do it at VW, I have a mechanic who charges £50 an hour labour. 

Thanks,

CG

11 minutes ago, CG7R said:

Hi Everyone, 

Been having an issue with my manual 65 Plate Golf R. Occasionally when I start the car when I release the clutch pedal (not touching the gears in neutral) to let it warm up there’s a quite violent rattling/clunking sound that lasts for 5-10 seconds that goes away once the clutch is depressed again. 

A few of my more knowledgeable mechanic friends are 99% Sure this is the clutch release bearing.

Is this a big job? Current clutch is not slipping whatsoever and feels fine. But considering upgrading to a RTS clutch whilst changing the Release Bearing.

How much should I expect to pay for JUST the release bearing? I wouldn’t do it at VW, I have a mechanic who charges £50 an hour labour. 

Thanks,

CG

You would want to do it all as the box has to be pulled to do it may aswell put an RTS unit in.