Chubby

Golf R News and Reviews

Is this an aversion to the Audi badge, though...i.e: the reverse of badge snobbery (people’s wagon Vs Elitism), or is it because VWs have always had better handing characteristics than Audi’s?
A bit of both, never really liked the look of Audis or BMWs to be honest, great cars I know but just leave me cold, Mercedes I quite like the look of the A35 & A45

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Wagon R said:

Is this an aversion to the Audi badge, though...i.e: the reverse of badge snobbery (people’s wagon Vs Elitism), or is it because VWs have always had better handing characteristics than Audi’s?

Do you mean Golfs or VW as a whole?

the rest of the VW range is pretty wank.

an A4 or a Passat.

while there is a Golf R, that matches up to the S3.

whatt else from VW matches the Audi S4, S5, RS4, RS5, RS6 etc etc.

a Passat or an S4....

the majority of the VW range is competing against Ford and Vauxhall.

its really only the Golf GTI and the R that can hold its own with Audi (never mind other decent brands).

I meant the Brands, and you’re right in regards to the S model line up …I was looking at A1 s-line's for the O\H a couple of years ago, but couldn’t find the spec I wanted within my budget, so we\I settled on a Polo GT, and not only does it look better (IMO) than the now old version A1, but has a much better equipment level for the price and doesn’t feel any cheaper than the Audi in terms of build. There’s also the more elite image the Audi has, which I didn’t want to get her used to. 😉

When you consider the SUV line up, I prefer the look of just about all the VW’s over the equivalent Audi Q cars - standard or sporty. 

3 hours ago, Wagon R said:

I meant the Brands, and you’re right in regards to the S model line up …I was looking at A1 s-line's for the O\H a couple of years ago, but couldn’t find the spec I wanted within my budget, so we\I settled on a Polo GT, and not only does it look better (IMO) than the now old version A1, but has a much better equipment level for the price and doesn’t feel any cheaper than the Audi in terms of build. There’s also the more elite image the Audi has, which I didn’t want to get her used to. 😉

When you consider the SUV line up, I prefer the look of just about all the VW’s over the equivalent Audi Q cars - standard or sporty. 

Having had a t Roc as a courtesy car, I would not wish that on anyone.

cheap and nasty is about the best I could come up with, even the plastic was fake.

i think all the lower end models from all manufacturers are pretty much a sameness.

lower end being Up, Polo and Golf, which is like the Corsa and Astra, A1 and A3 type segment, yes some have high bhp, however all based on same basic car.

its not really until you move up the model range that there tends to be a visible difference.

its also where VW drops back in to the cheaper family car sector with Vauxhall, Ford, Peugeot etc.

the premium makes definitely split away then and leave VW behind.

however that's the segment that's VW bread and butter, I believe they would lose out if they tried moving up the food chain.

23 hours ago, Wagon R said:

It's a combination of my reverse snobbery, but also the invisibility factor of a white Golf wagon (flies under the radar so to speak and attracts much less unwanted attention, especially with a std exhaust)

On 08/06/2019 at 22:22, gregozedobe said:

It's a combination of my reverse snobbery, but also the invisibility factor of a white Golf wagon (flies under the radar so to speak and attracts much less unwanted attention, especially with a std exhaust)

Yeah, I get that Greg, maybe it's the Aussie thing where it's great to have a goods under the hood, but plain wrap outside? Don't want to look like a badge-wanker with the base model of a fancy brand badge that really hasn't got anything special to it.

I had a moment of plain wrap fun the other day with some dude in a Ranger Raptor, with his 10 speed auto he reckoned he could see off a stock Golf wagon at the lights -it was all over by 5000 rpm in first gear...lol.

1 hour ago, GolfRWag said:

Yeah, I get that Greg, maybe it's the Aussie thing where it's great to have a goods under the hood, but plain wrap outside? Don't want to look like a badge-wanker with the base model of a fancy brand badge that really hasn't got anything special to it.

I had a moment of plain wrap fun the other day with some dude in a Ranger Raptor, with his 10 speed auto he reckoned he could see off a stock Golf wagon at the lights -it was all over by 5000 rpm in first gear...lol.

I would have thought that almost all except the most weedy-engined Golfs could handle a Ranger (147kw, 2,200Kg) from a standing start, all the gears in the world won't make up for a deficiency in the power/weight ratio.  And trying it on with a Golf R was just funny - I suppose he got a good enough look at the 4 exhausts to perhaps make him wonder about his choice of "victim".

As far as having the base model (with the smallest motor) in a supposedly prestige brand, this can come unstuck badly in the wrong (right for me) circumstances.  The scenario:

I'm cruising along in my bog standard VW Transporter van (admittedly the 128Kw version) on a 110kmh highway when I see some signs saying "roadworks ahead, right lane closed, prepare to stop", so I start to ease off as I near the road works, when Johhny racer roars past in his  older BMW 316i, and rudely pushes in front of me at the last possible moment.  The roadworks flagman halts us with his Stop sign.  I note that Johnny has cheaped out and bought the most gutless BMW he could get.  Ahead of us is a very long, steepish uphill climb (with an extra lane for slow trucks).  I smile to myself in anticipation of what may be about to happen to the unsuspecting Johhny (I know how well my van pulls on hills).

As we get the "Go" sign Johhny takes off with a huge rev from his little engine, while I take off briskly in first, Johhny has eased ahead a bit while I'm changing gears (manual 'box),  but by the time I've gotten 3rd gear going I'm reeling poor Johhny in quite rapidly, and when I get into 4th I'm leaving him (and his desperately revving 1.6 engine) well behind and accelerating away very convincingly (at this point I must admit that I may have exceeded the 110 kmh limit slightly for a moment or two).  By the time I got to the top of the hill Johhny was well behind, but he hadn't given up on showing me a thing or two about just how good his "prestige european touring car" was, and he finally passed me after I slowed back down.  I honestly wondered whether his engine was going to blow up from the punishment he was giving it (I could hear it revving at highway speeds as he gradually got past me). 

I suspect he was not a happy chappie, but I was hugely amused :)

12 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

As we get the "Go" sign Johhny takes off with a huge rev from his little engine, while I take off briskly in first, Johhny has eased ahead a bit while I'm changing gears (manual 'box),  but by the time I've gotten 3rd gear going I'm reeling poor Johhny in quite rapidly, and when I get into 4th I'm leaving him (and his desperately revving 1.6 engine) well behind and accelerating away very convincingly (at this point I must admit that I may have exceeded the 110 kmh limit slightly for a moment or two).  By the time I got to the top of the hill Johhny was well behind, but he hadn't given up on showing me a thing or two about just how good his "prestige european touring car" was, and he finally passed me after I slowed back down.  I honestly wondered whether his engine was going to blow up from the punishment he was giving it (I could hear it revving at highway speeds as he gradually got past me). 

I suspect he was not a happy chappie, but I was hugely amused :)

Heheheheh, there's something about certain BMW drivers, the ones who buy base models, and often add wings and M wheels and extra badges (Chav style I guess that is in the U.K?) and seeem to want to show everyone what their Ultimate Driving Machine is capable of, err, in this case not.

The Raptor has a fair slug of torques, somewhere about 500 Nm, so not to be sniffed at and it looks like they have geared them low for good response as you can with 10 gears to play with, so they do have a bit of toey takeoff. 

I hadn't even taken mine out of D however -oops. He got an earful of full fart when it dropped into 2nd gear for the whole effect!