Totally_Vacant

A little advice please...

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around here for a while now during all this lockdown and decided I would ask what seems to be a very helpful and welcoming bunch of people 😊 

Following 7 years of mk5 Golf Gti ownership she is starting to feel her age. After toying with the idea of renewing the GTI with a mk6 Ed35 or early mk7, a discussion with the wife ended with her saying "you've always wanted one of those fast estate ones, why not bite the bullet and get that?" 

After briefly passing out, followed by questions similar to "who are you and what have you done with my wife" I started figuring out budget. 

I'm in what I would consider a very enviable position of having around 20k to spend and wanted a little help from those in the know. At this price, I am looking to either get a mk7r Estate or possibly a mk7.5r estate with less bells and whistles. I have found a 2017 mk7.5 with about 36k on it within budget but comparing this with a mk7 I can get options like a sunroof, dynaudio and possibly DCC. I'm not bothered about leather as I've always preferred alcantara ever since my Dads 56 plate Civic, plus when the inevitable kids come on the scene (after wedding in August 2019 it's all anyone asks us!), we have an Seat Ateca with Leather to handle all that mess. 

So the long and short of it is could I get your collective thoughts on best route to take. I realise everything is subjective but are the perks of the mk7.5; better media screen and better virtual cockpit (can't remember the VW term for it!) and 7 speed DSG and I am sure there are other bits I have forgotten, worth the sacrifice over the mk7 with more options such as Dynaudio, possibly DCC (flexible on this as not something I feel I need) but with the 6 speed DSG? 

Sorry for the long waffle, can you tell I'm excited? I've got a basket at Mountune52 containing their springs and a set of paddle replacements already! That 'Show us your stance' thread was not kind to my wallet 🤦🏼‍♂️

Go for the 7.5.. after having both a 7 and 7.5 i feel that the 7.5 is worth any extra outlay and in the case of losing a couple options i would still say its worth it.  The 7 speed dsg is sublime. 

As for planned mods, don't waste the money on the paddle replacements you can get almost identical replacements for around £25-30 on ebay/amazon

Also do some extensive research on springs some can leave comfort somewhat less than pleasant, i have no knowledge of the m52 springs im sure they will just be re branded so do some digging. 

I would always go for the 7.5 over the 7 regardless of options (condition aside) - there are quite a few more added extras on the 7.5;

dynamic indicators

frameless rear view mirror

media screen looks much more integrated

seat covers are grey on the 7.5 rather than cream(?) on the 7

more power :)

some argue better styling

more std features over the early mk7's

LED headlights?

better ACC integration

more exhaust pops n bangs

I think the biggest benefit is the 7 speed gearbox as it has a taller 7th gear which offers unbelievable economy on longer runs - mid 40's easily (for me).

DCC has some benefits, however I have 19" pretorias with no DCC and find the ride comfort / quality perfectly acceptable over rough roads (and we have quite a few round my parts). I think it's due to the prets being lighter than the std Cadiz.

Also, you can add an aftermarket sub in the same position as the Dynaudio.

HTH

I suggest you go 7.5 too Luke.   Like you, I came from a loved GTI, so you’ll love an R Wagon for the boot. It felt familiar and strange at the same time behind the wheel, bigger than the Increase external dimensions would suggest.  Mine felt cheaper, thinner, at first but that’s soon forgotten with a few miles. 
I can’t see that you could regret getting an R. Heavier, more planted than a GTI and a bit less nimble maybe, but OMG rock solid in all weathers on all roads.  They can make you feel a bit like Captain Scarlett (indestructible) so be warned, and they are just phenomenally fast over your favourite roads and routes, so effortlessly.  Mine feels like it will just do anything you ask, and stuff you’d just never ask before... Traction from rest means wheelspin, chirping and skipping are gone. So are you.  You’ll may even get similar mpg as you did before, but be going quicker - when you suss it all out. 
There really is not much that’s not to like with an R.   So get the colour you like best out of what’s on sale.  They all look good on here, dress it up or down as you prefer

Get it bought mate.  (All biased views here). 
😀

Welcome along Luke!  

If you can find a 7.5 that suits both your budget and wants, then that’s probably the way to go for the extra standard kit and other improvements.  That said, I wouldn’t discount or overlook a mk7 completely.  Yes a 7.5 has the 7sp DSG, styling tweaks (subjective as to whether they are an improvement), virtual dash, etc, but that doesn’t render its mk7 predecessor null and void.  The mk7 is still a great car.  The earliest mk7s had a few teething issues (some had turbo issues) and the 1st gen MIB1 infotainment system which was clunky, but those built from mid 2015 (end May) onwards got the next gen infotainment which was better and revised turbos, so if you are looking at mk7s something to take into account.   Coming from a mk5 gti a mk7, is still going feel a big upgrade in terms of chassis, more up-to-date looks, cabin, not to mention the power increase and the 4WD.  It will feel and drive significantly more refined than your mk5 gti (btw my own road to the R was from 2x mk5 gti’s, a manual and a dsg, and then a mk6 gti DSG), whilst still having that unmistakable Golf familiarly. And of course if you go R Estate then it will feel ever more different still with the added space.  

It really all depends on what’s out there, what specs and price points.  Best of luck with your search be it for a mk7 or 7.5 R and if all goes well, hope you’ll soon be an R owning member of the club!  

@Totally_Vacant welcome to the forum.

as an opener I have pretty much zero experience on the MK7, I do however have a MK7.5 Estate.

the 7.5 is the one to go for personally.

i drove the Seat version back to back with the 7.5 Golf, it was using I believe the MK7 dsg, that was a big difference for me.

Also I do like the virtual cockpit, the fact it comes with Andriod Auto and AppleCar play.

i went for DCC as we also use the car for dog transportation.

Also having had previous Estate went for Pano Roof, as it lightens up the inside, especially when you have 95% rear tints lol.

if you really want to spoil (or soil) go for a MK7.5 Estate in Red!

21 hours ago, Totally_Vacant said:

Hi everyone. I've been lurking around here for a while now during all this lockdown and decided I would ask what seems to be a very helpful and welcoming bunch of people 😊 

Following 7 years of mk5 Golf Gti ownership she is starting to feel her age. After toying with the idea of renewing the GTI with a mk6 Ed35 or early mk7, a discussion with the wife ended with her saying "you've always wanted one of those fast estate ones, why not bite the bullet and get that?" 

After briefly passing out, followed by questions similar to "who are you and what have you done with my wife" I started figuring out budget. 

I'm in what I would consider a very enviable position of having around 20k to spend and wanted a little help from those in the know. At this price, I am looking to either get a mk7r Estate or possibly a mk7.5r estate with less bells and whistles. I have found a 2017 mk7.5 with about 36k on it within budget but comparing this with a mk7 I can get options like a sunroof, dynaudio and possibly DCC. I'm not bothered about leather as I've always preferred alcantara ever since my Dads 56 plate Civic, plus when the inevitable kids come on the scene (after wedding in August 2019 it's all anyone asks us!), we have an Seat Ateca with Leather to handle all that mess. 

So the long and short of it is could I get your collective thoughts on best route to take. I realise everything is subjective but are the perks of the mk7.5; better media screen and better virtual cockpit (can't remember the VW term for it!) and 7 speed DSG and I am sure there are other bits I have forgotten, worth the sacrifice over the mk7 with more options such as Dynaudio, possibly DCC (flexible on this as not something I feel I need) but with the 6 speed DSG? 

Sorry for the long waffle, can you tell I'm excited? I've got a basket at Mountune52 containing their springs and a set of paddle replacements already! That 'Show us your stance' thread was not kind to my wallet 🤦🏼‍♂️

HI Luke, Welcome to the forum....:welcome:....if it was me...I'd get the 7.5 R....You can always upgrade certain things as you go along....(I'm sure your lovely wife won't mind)...:lol:....Apologies for the "show us your stance thread"...That was me....:lol:

Best of luck finding the right R for you.....They are a great car....whether it be the 7 or the 7.5....I have a Mk 7 hatch and love it more each day....(albeit a few mods down the track after two years of ownership)...:azn:......They are awesome cars stock, and even better if tuned....I'm sure you'll find a great car very soon....Post pics as soon you get it...which I assume will be tomorrow...:lol:.....(I won't tell your wife)...:ph34r:

What colour are you going for?...My R below for your reference...:smiley:

My Golf R in Seatoun May 2020 3.jpg

Well 24 hours in and I am already feeling very welcome! Thank you for all the wise words, I feel a little clearer in the direction I should go. @Dicko1989 I can see already I am not going to be left wanting for sound advice here!

@Sequence thanks for pointing that out, I had a read through the threads on this and found some recommended ones on Amazon that are now looking like winners.

@golf7.5r the media screen and virtual cash were big plus points as I think they do look great

@NRW massive plus points to you for a Captain Scarlett reference! As a 30s member I was a huge fan over Stingray and Thunderbirds even. My wife had no idea why when a GTR drove passed I muttered "this is the voice of the Mysterons"

@Booth11 it is nice to meet someone else from a Mk5 background. I still love the car but it's just time for something a little newer

@Gavras I do have to admit android auto is great in the Ateca, much prefer using Google maps compared with the standard nav. As much as I would love to have a sunroof I think that may have to be cut as all of the cars with one are above my budget unfortunately

@Gavras @goodbadboy colour wise I am a little stumped. I swore I wouldn't have white as that's the colour of the Ateca, and after 7 years of DBP mk5 ownership again I swore I was done, but they both look so good on the car! I do love the idea of red as it looks great and it injects some colour into what has been very monotone car ownership for the last 3 years!

@goodbadboy I am looking into the springs, you're looks great I'll have to go back to the thread and check. I am weighing up the looks of VWR vs the comfort of the Eibach pro as they seem to have rave reviews, I would prefer a little lower but after cheap followers on the mk5 soured my love for the car, I am very aware of doing that again. I would love Prets but 95% of the estates for sale are on the cadiz. I am actually a fan of the look, but if their weight is an issue, I may look at that as an excuse for the wheel I've always wanted red which is the Team Dynamics 1.2 in 18s

I think I've replied to you akl. Thank you for this advice. I'm looking forward to being an active member whilst I search and HOPEFULLY when the new purchase is made!

2 hours ago, Totally_Vacant said:

massive plus points to you for a Captain Scarlett reference! As a 30s member I was a huge fan over Stingray and Thunderbirds even. My wife had no idea why when a GTR drove passed I muttered "this is the voice of the Mysterons"

An R for me, lots of things, at different times. 
Batmobile?  Millennium Falcon?  Starship Enterprise?

Midern Day Lancia Integrale?😂

Put simply;

R Hatch = Thunderbird One,

R Wagon = Thunderbird Two. 
👍

22 minutes ago, NRW said:

An R for me, lots of things, at different times. 
Batmobile?  Millennium Falcon?  Starship Enterprise?

Midern Day Lancia Integrale?😂

Put simply;

R Hatch = Thunderbird One,

R Wagon = Thunderbird Two. 
👍

Good point about Thunderbird 1 and 2.

Thunderbird 1 invariably got there just ahead of Thunderbird 2.

however, Thunderbird 1 could do bugger all on its own and always needed help

Thunderbird 2 was an all rounder bringing the fun along as well.

As a Kid I had Thunderbirds, it was always Thunderbird 2 everyone wanted..

IMG_0095.JPG

2 hours ago, Gavras said:

As a Kid I had Thunderbirds, it was always Thunderbird 2 everyone wanted..

Haha. I had Thunderbird One. Loved it.   I Liked my friend’s Thunderbird Two but after emptying it of whatever cra*p was inside it, was left with a big lump of a thing.  So returned to Thunderbird One. 😂

My International  Rescue Outfit is getting damn tight these says mind!😂😂

2 hours ago, NRW said:

Haha. I had Thunderbird One. Loved it.   I Liked my friend’s Thunderbird Two but after emptying it of whatever cra*p was inside it, was left with a big lump of a thing.  So returned to Thunderbird One. 😂

My International  Rescue Outfit is getting damn tight these says mind!😂😂

I can imagine....

IMG_0096.JPG

Yeah you can get a 7.5 but then again you could find a good mk7 that has done a few miles (any issues ironed out) and spend the £££ you saved on making it better in every way.
The Pros mentioned like gearbox is better for mpg (who really cares honestly) looks (personally hate the front end of the 7.5) power (imperceptible) Aid (really poor quality and hardly an upgrade) they are all pros but hardly earth shattering improvements.
Remember a 7.5 will be defunct very soon so prices will drop significantly, might be best to wait until the mk8 arrives.
Whatever you go for enjoy it you won't be disappointed

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk