Totally_Vacant

A little advice please...

18 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

If you ever drive the Alpine passes and tunnels through Austria & Switzerland and you don't have your windows down then shame on you [emoji39]

That pic was taken after one of the best drives of my life up to 8,000ft and when we stopped we went for a walk inside a glacier [emoji41]

Can't say a dusty infotainment screen was high on my list of priorities that day...

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Still...not really a good excuse not to dust it is it Dave?...:lol:

Still...not really a good excuse not to dust it is it Dave?...[emoji38]
Missus was busy... And had another 2/3 drive across the Alps so pretty pointless tbh

Don't worry the car and the others on the trip had plenty of tlc on the few rest days we had [emoji16]

I must admit to enjoying a fast estate that doesn't look like much to a casual glance, and it helps if it is driven by a balding, grey-haired old fart like me. 

Yesterday I was coming up to a set of lights that turned red before I got there so I stopped.  I look over and there is a Nissan 350/370Z pulling up next to me.  It was covered in lots of japanese go-faster stickers, wide wheels, loud exhaust etc, with a couple of young blokes in it (to be fair, most other drivers of performance cars are younger than me).  No other cars with us at the lights, straight piece of road, sunny dry day, and I can see there are no speed camera vans or sneaky cops hiding in the trees with their radar guns ahead of me.  This set of lights is in an 80kmh zone, so you can legally get out of 1st gear [emoji4]

I think to myself, "this could be fun when the lights go green".    

And it was, quite, for me, but rather demoralising for the bloke in his hotted up Nissan sports car who was really trying hard (spinning wheels & all), and he had his mate along to witness it and give him heaps.  Was I a bad person for enjoying this more than a little ?

Note:  It was such an easy victory I backed off as I hit 80 kmh, so no speeding for me.  Mr Nissan driver did what many do in these circumstances, he sped past me while I was sitting on the speed limit and he turned off at the next intersection.
Have to say that traffic light gp aside having had a 350z for some years they are an absolute joy to drive, although mine wasn't done up like something out of fast and furious!!

To be perfectly fair driving the R is not even close to comparing to the joy of driving a Zed, only reason I sold mine was because driving around in traffic was killing my left knee and the auto slush box option was not for me...

Love my R but miss my Z

4 hours ago, goodbadboy said:

Certainly not.....I would of loved it as well Greg....:lol:....Nice work...:afro:...I love my traffic light grand prix's....:azn:

@gregozedobe @goodbadboy I am looking forward to traffic light traction! My mk5 has been remapped and makes 320lb/ft so trying to accelerate from standstill is pointless. Once on the move it goes great you just need it rolling first. Once got wheels pin in 3rd at 50mph, that was an experience. Dodgy tyres played their part though I'm pretty sure 😂

On 22/05/2020 at 13:14, Gavras said:

Ditto, very much prefer fast estates, they are at times the ultimate stealth mobiles.

its really satisfying being able to drive say West Midlands to Northern Scotland with 3 people, cases and a dog.

then next day blasting around lovely highland B roads.

Fast Estates just tick so many boxes and don't usually need drag boxes on the roof.

going camping, going mountain biking, going for a blast around the back roads, yeah that will be a fast Estate, other cars please enjoy your time on the driveway.

I think I've just always had a thing for the shape. Plus I do love a big boot 😂

I do look forward to being able to go camping with the kid when the time comes, and bikes in the car as that's what I used to do when I was a kid. Just ticks all the boxes and if you already like me love the look of an estate, it's a win win

2 minutes ago, Totally_Vacant said:

I think I've just always had a thing for the shape. Plus I do love a big boot 😂

I do look forward to being able to go camping with the kid when the time comes, and bikes in the car as that's what I used to do when I was a kid. Just ticks all the boxes and if you already like me love the look of an estate, it's a win win

Also, a lot of SUV's in same segment as the Golf tend to have far less 'useable' space.

We once had to decamp from my previous BMW Tourer in to a mates SUV, ended up with couple bags on rear passenger legs. Lol.

15 hours ago, SpursMadDave said:

Have to say that traffic light gp aside having had a 350z for some years they are an absolute joy to drive, although mine wasn't done up like something out of fast and furious!!

To be perfectly fair driving the R is not even close to comparing to the joy of driving a Zed, only reason I sold mine was because driving around in traffic was killing my left knee and the auto slush box option was not for me...

Love my R but miss my Z

Hehe fun read. I was imagining them sneering over at you in your everyday estate, and revving a few times to get your attention 😁

I was worried when I got my paddle clutch because it was so heavy at first. My left leg in noticeable pain after driving just several 30 minute journeys. But fortunately either my leg has hulked up, or through use the clutch has relaxed, as it's not just a little bit lighter, I don't even notice it at all anymore. 

Hehe fun read. I was imagining them sneering over at you in your everyday estate, and revving a few times to get your attention [emoji16]

I was worried when I got my paddle clutch because it was so heavy at first. My left leg in noticeable pain after driving just several 30 minute journeys. But fortunately either my leg has hulked up, or through use the clutch has relaxed, as it's not just a little bit lighter, I don't even notice it at all anymore. 

If you ever get the pleasure of driving a 350z then you will feel what a heavy clutch is! It is very industrial and a total joy so engaging but very hard on an old git like me [emoji24]

20 hours ago, Totally_Vacant said:

@gregozedobe @goodbadboy I am looking forward to traffic light traction! My mk5 has been remapped and makes 320lb/ft so trying to accelerate from standstill is pointless. Once on the move it goes great you just need it rolling first. Once got wheels pin in 3rd at 50mph, that was an experience. Dodgy tyres played their part though I'm pretty sure 😂

No such issues with the R.....I haven't lost a traffic light grand prix yet....:azn::lol::afro:

4 hours ago, goodbadboy said:

No such issues with the R.....I haven't lost a traffic light grand prix yet....:azn::lol::afro:

I do look forward to this sort of traction. I think better tyres would always have helped but that's not a mistake I will be making witb the R. I see the estate as like an entry level RS4 😊 just unbeatable all round performance for the money

I do look forward to this sort of traction. I think better tyres would always have helped but that's not a mistake I will be making witb the R. I see the estate as like an entry level RS4 [emoji4] just unbeatable all round performance for the money
To be fair I have been in my friends RS4, I love my R but it's not in the same class as an RS3/RS4 even at Stage 2...

1 hour ago, SpursMadDave said:

To be fair I have been in my friends RS4, I love my R but it's not in the same class as an RS3/RS4 even at Stage 2...

If you don't mind me asking, what did it take parts and cost wise for you to go stage 2? There are so many different intake options etc. 

If you don't mind me asking, what did it take parts and cost wise for you to go stage 2? There are so many different intake options etc. 

Remus exhaust & downpipe £1600 (£3000 new) + fittingIntake, elbow & pipe about £350

Mapping £600 (Unicorn self tune)

Obviously didn't need the full Remus just the downpipe which is about £900 on its own

You can get much cheaper downpipes or decats but I would never get a decat personally so you could go stage 2 for around £2k.

Best to factor in a TCU tune, better brake setup for stage 2 as well really and of course decent tyres.

Highly recommend it I've had a JB4, a couple of stage 1 maps and stage 2 is just a step up in every way, not so much on headline figures but just the way the car is, so much beefier like it's on steroids [emoji16]

You’ll also need an updated clutch or DSG tune as well if you haven’t already got these. Upgraded intercooler is recommended but isn’t necessary.

Some of the popular mk7 tuning companies offer stage 2 packages; drive in standard, drive home with close to 400bhp - however these cost around £4K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk